Pre-Med Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone could offer some situation specific advice. Here is my situation:

I have one semester of college left. Due to transferring schools and taking off two semesters for a medical leave of absence, I'm a little behind on things. I will graduate with a B.S. in Communications in December.

I want to get started down this path by taking two of the pre-req sciences this fall. I'm also planning on becoming an EMT-B over the summer and early fall. Which sciences should I start with? Also, after I graduate my wife and I will be moving out of state. This means that the rest of my pre-reqs will be taken at a different school. I acknowledge that I'm new to this website and this process, so I'm sure I have some blind spots. Anyway, here are my options after graduation as I see them:

1.) When we move, I take a full load of pre-reqs the next semester (Spring 2014). Then I work and volunteer during the summer, take more pre-reqs Fall 2014, and continue the process.

2.) When we move, I take the second level of the 2 classes I completed during the Fall 2013 semester. I also work, then take a full load during Fall 2014 and continue.

3.) I take off the Spring 2014 semester to work and volunteer, then take a full load during the Fall 2014 semester and continue.

4) I take the entire year of 2014 off to work/volunteer/shadow more and strengthen myself as an applicant. I then take a full load of pre-reqs during the Spring 2015 semester and continue.

I'm apologize for all this convoluted information, but this has been bouncing around in my head, and I thought could gain some value from the insights of those further down this road than myself. I plan on seeking out faculty at my university or others who could also offer some input on these issues. I hope I've explained my situation clearly, and thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.