Pre-med advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XYZ

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
I'm a pre-med from Canada with a small dilemma:
I would really like to get some kind of job-shadowing/volunteer experience within the medical profession (allopathic). The problem is that the town I live in (the largest within about an hour's drive) has a great hospital but no volunteer program. the smaller hospitals don't have any either. I have tried doctor's offices but I keep hitting the same wall-the issue of confidentiality (people around here aren't too comfortable with a pre-med sitting in,etc.) My main reason for doing this is to get a better idea of what I'm getting in to and perhaps to make contact (may come in handy for a letter of recommendation!). What else can I do, any innovative ideas?? Thanks a lot!

frustrated

XYZ
Nova Scotia,Canada

Members don't see this ad.

Servanthood - proving my qualifications to the most important tasks by happily being willing to do the lowliest.

Need I say more?

Stephan makes a good point. I vollunteered in a local nursing home visiting with the elderly residents who had no other family and simply spending time with them. You may not learn anything biologically, but you gain an insight into humanity and suffering and compassion for people who are nearing death.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.