Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pre-Med Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mrdrdrjp, May 12, 2008.

1. mrdrdrjp

mrdrdrjp Ph.D in Bastardology
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I know this is the forum for med students but I was wondering if you had any advice for a premed student. Can you suggest the best classes outside those required to help with the MCAT and help get ahead for Med School. Also do you have any suggestions for extra-curriculars?

2. NJDIF

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  3. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving to the pre-med forum which is full of pre-med advice from fellow premeds and medical students.

4. DrZeke

DrZeke yzarc gniog ylwolS
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Help get ahead for medical school? Do anything but stuff that you're just going to learn over in med school. Spend your undergrad time wisely, it only happens once if you're planning on going to med school after 1 degree...

5. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

I mean this in the kindest way possible. Concentrate on planning your freshman year courses first, and worry about these other classes later. You can't "get ahead" until after you've made the transition and adjustment into college and gotten a solid base. Believe me, a solid start will make the whole journey easier.

6. Wylde

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php

Start off well!!!!!!

Take easy courses (don't take physics, genchem, bio, calculus, and aerospace engineering + labs to "get ahead") mixed in with the pre-reqs.

PICK A MAJOR YOU LOVE!!!! (majors are irrelevant when applying to medical schools, bio/chem def. dont give you any advantage).

Taking your studying seriously, if you start off with a 3.9+ it will be a great stress reliever for future years. Later on you can integrate volunteering, research, etc.

7. iluvpuppies

iluvpuppies they r so cute
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i completely agree. u want to take the prereqs u need for med school and other courses that interest you, but also use it as an oppertunity to learn things that you wont get the chance to in med school. i dont think its possible to get really far "ahead" in undergrad anyway. im personally really happy to have taken some classes in finance, etc bc itll help u out in life