SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Pre-Med Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mrdrdrjp, May 12, 2008.

1. mrdrdrjp

mrdrdrjp Ph.D in Bastardology 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2008
    Forest City, NC
    I know this is the forum for med students but I was wondering if you had any advice for a premed student. Can you suggest the best classes outside those required to help with the MCAT and help get ahead for Med School. Also do you have any suggestions for extra-curriculars?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. NJDIF

NJDIF 7+ Year Member

May 20, 2007
  4. njbmd

njbmd Guest Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2001
    Gone Walkabout!
    Moving to the pre-med forum which is full of pre-med advice from fellow premeds and medical students.
  5. DrZeke

DrZeke yzarc gniog ylwolS 10+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Help get ahead for medical school? Do anything but stuff that you're just going to learn over in med school. Spend your undergrad time wisely, it only happens once if you're planning on going to med school after 1 degree...
  6. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

I mean this in the kindest way possible. Concentrate on planning your freshman year courses first, and worry about these other classes later. You can't "get ahead" until after you've made the transition and adjustment into college and gotten a solid base. Believe me, a solid start will make the whole journey easier.
  7. Wylde

Wylde 7+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2007

Start off well!!!!!!

Take easy courses (don't take physics, genchem, bio, calculus, and aerospace engineering + labs to "get ahead") mixed in with the pre-reqs.

PICK A MAJOR YOU LOVE!!!! (majors are irrelevant when applying to medical schools, bio/chem def. dont give you any advantage).

Taking your studying seriously, if you start off with a 3.9+ it will be a great stress reliever for future years. Later on you can integrate volunteering, research, etc.
  8. iluvpuppies

iluvpuppies they r so cute 2+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2008
    i completely agree. u want to take the prereqs u need for med school and other courses that interest you, but also use it as an oppertunity to learn things that you wont get the chance to in med school. i dont think its possible to get really far "ahead" in undergrad anyway. im personally really happy to have taken some classes in finance, etc bc itll help u out in life