Pre-med and athletes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gildas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was bored and I though of starting this thread for anyone who is an athele and planning to go to med school to share his story.
Well I will start.
Well I am a soccer player (originally from West Africa), used to play for my high school, Phoenix college and some clubs. Anyway now I really can't play for competetions anymore because 1) due to my course loads I can't practice as I used to and 2) since I shater my right foot, I feel constant pain whenever I start playing. Netherless it never stop me to go play with friends.
Even though I have great desire to become a Doctor, sometimes playing soccer in competitions do cross my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

i play college baseball. im going to UTHSCSA in the fall
happysad.gif

Basketball. I know there are some crew guys on here too. And a football player... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I ran cross country and indoor and outdoor track in college and plan to attend Jefferson this fall.

I play IM (intramural) soccer in C league. I got rejected to all 38 schools I applied to. :(

I actually laughed out loud! Thanks kid.

I just read your sentence again. I lauged out loud again. I need some sleep.

JDAD said:
I just read your sentence again. I lauged out loud again. I need some sleep.

I said I was just kidding earlier...but you know what's sad? Everything in that post is true :oops:

Premed, I am sorry if I offended you. Keep your head up kid.

I think I beat everyone on the "weird" factor.

I throw the hammer and discus. Sets up interesting interview questions though :laugh:

I will be attending X med school in August, not sure yet.

Played baseball. Applying this upcoming cycle. Wyrd. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I played ultimate frisbee. we lost in the finals at nationals to colorado. :(

yay! I played soccer for UC Davis for four years.... i tried to do a header the other day in indoor and now i have a pinched nerve............ just call me gramma.. I can't believe I'm already feeling too old to play!!

Figure skater/rock climber here!

BAM! said:

were you an ugmo? go bears!

was on the snowboard team. went to nationals my senior year, yeah!

I ski race for my college...we came in second in nationals last year. booyah.

Football. Also l like to get out and sky dive, rock climb, and scuba. :thumbup:

i figure skate, although i'm not so competitive anymore. not enough time for that. and i haven't yet applied to med school.

Football, discus, shot put, and I am going to try pole vault this year.

track here.
(disclaimer: I spent more time being injured than I did competing.)

also swam a loooonnngggg time ago.
(disclaimer: now i swim like a chihuahua.)

I swim in college. I retire in 41 days and I can't wait to see what a real college student lives like. I am going to have so much time on my hands without all that practice......

I play college baseball, Im a pitcher. I think that I am gonna call it quits after this year. Too many injuries and not enough time to do what I need to get done.

fullefect1 said:
Football, discus, shot put, and I am going to try pole vault this year.

Decathlon in your future?

swimerpaco said:
I swim in college. I retire in 41 days and I can't wait to see what a real college student lives like. I am going to have so much time on my hands without all that practice......
i totally know what you mean... but i bet you miss it in a month when you realize your legs just dont have the tightness they used to! :D

I play soccer at Edgewood College. Small Liberal Arts school in Madison Wisconsin. I completed all my requirements for med school in three years and got accepted at the Medical College of Wisconsin. So I have a year or eligibility left but I think it's time to hang up the cleats.

i play tennis, not even in premed yet though!

I did triathlon as an undergrad. I'll be going to Worlds this summer. :thumbup: It helped balance my life and keep me sane.

I know people who took time off to race as pro triathletes before medical school or time off during med school to go to the olympics. I know of a resident at UVM who nearly went to the olympics for the marathon. Hopkins is known to take marathoners. One of the 2nd years at UCSD played pro tennis for a few years. Another danced in professional NYC ballet troups in the summertime during college.

I threw the shot and discus until this year

I swam and played soccer all of my life, including my undergrad years at Loyola (soccer not swimming). Went to med school where most of my time was spent studying, although I did play soccer once every 2 months or so. Nothing competitive for years, though! Point is, if you balance your time out efficiently, you could easily be a competitive athlete and still do well in school. Of course, that would mean less partying...right?

scrappysurfer said:
I did triathlon as an undergrad. I'll be going to Worlds this summer. :thumbup: It helped balance my life and keep me sane.

I know people who took time off to race as pro triathletes before medical school or time off during med school to go to the olympics. I know of a resident at UVM who nearly went to the olympics for the marathon. Hopkins is known to take marathoners. One of the 2nd years at UCSD played pro tennis for a few years. Another danced in professional NYC ballet troups in the summertime during college.

Worlds is in Hawaii this summer, right? My brother went the last couple of years. I also did triathlon as an undergrad, but no much since...Surfed quite a bit the last few years though....I take it ur a surfer too?

XC and Track for almost half my life.

Sadly, I'm taking this track season off to have more study time for the MCAT :(

i pole vaulted at a DI school...

I'm a rock climber. Competed all 4 years of college. (been out 5 years) Still climbing. Anyone know of a climbing gym in chicago? Looks like I'll probably go to UChicago in the fall.