Pre-Med at SUNY stony brook long island new york

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surehands2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jay, i will be going pre med at SUNY stony brook in fall 07. I am 24 years old. I went to college right out of High school and thought college wasnt for me. So then i went to automotive technology school to learn how to fix cars. I worked for a ford dealership for 4 years. Now i am back in college, when coming to a reality that i want to do something that i enjoy with myl life. After this summer i will have 52 college credits before i start at stony brook. I do have some grades that i do need to wipe under the carpet from when i was younger, i managed a 3.0 gpa. Since I have been back, i have pretty much been a straight A student. Does anyone think i will have a problem getting into med school if i can continue to keep up good grades at my age and my educational history? and its nice to meet everyone

Members don't see this ad.

You should be okay averaging your years of pre-med stuff at stony with a 3.0... just make sure to get mostly As and A-s... and it would benefit you to take a full four year bachelors as opposed to just two years of medical prereqs if you can make good grades in the higher level courses... simply, more years and more grades give you more of a chance to bring up your grades.
I'm a senior graduating Stony Brook this May... and probably heading to the med school here:) There is no real pre-med major here, but there are a lot of good bio-like science majors. The classes are hard, and you need to put more work in than you sometimes think, but you will get a very good education in science at Stony! Good luck!

:thumbup:

Thumbs up to being a pre-med at stony! Good choice, I think... but I'm biased :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guy for the motivation anything else i should be aware of ?

Just don't assume that it's easy because it's state school... that's all I can say. That's what always gets people in trouble.

purpleangel you have been extremely helpful i really appreciate it thanks a million

any other stony brookers out there?

You should come to Binghamton, it's better than SB. :)

does anyone still have old notes or tests from there pre med classes that i would be able to see to see what i am up against? i dont know why i am so nervous

I'm at SB. "Pre-med," courses have a pretty rough reputation at Stony Brook; General Chem I (CHE 131) has the highest rate of students dropping out throughout the semester, supposedly. Cell & Organ Physiology (BIO 203) has the highest failure rate, although I don't see how one would easily confirm this.

Stony Brook is a really tough school, and a lot of people (myself included) entered as freshman thinking that they would breeze through because they have a 4.0 in high school. It definitely takes effort to get A's here. With that said, it's certainly feasible. Professors don't want you to drop out of the class or fail. Since it is such a large school, you have a lot of freedom with arranging your schedule (which is a very good thing). Also, there's a lot of resources for you if you are having trouble (Chemistry Learning Center, Math learning Center, Bio Learning Center).

So that's the positive stuff; there is some negative stuff, too. Chemistry and Bio classes have roughly 500 kids per lecture. There are rarely questions asked during lecture, so it truly is a lecture: a professor speaking with basically no interaction from the students. If you fall behind, the course will not slow itself down. Tests are very difficult (class average on Chem tests is around 60 at highest, I'd say), but doable with a lot of studying. I think Bio is a lot more forgiving.

Oh yeah, take the non-engineering Physics; it's called Physics for Life Sciences 1 & 2. I took engineering track physics, and it was real challenging (I remember a C average on tests was as low as 20/100 at one point! it was THAT ridiculous).

To wrap it up, just remember that your success is a function of your effort. Don't fall behind, stay positive, and have fun. You'll do fine. I hope I didn't scare you or anything, just trying to give you an insider's look.

does anyone still have old notes or tests from there pre med classes that i would be able to see to see what i am up against? i dont know why i am so nervous

I can PM you a link to some powerpoint slides the professor's put up online. They are pretty weak notes to be honest. If you just studied what they lectured on, you'd have a hard time passing the class, let alone getting a decent grade.

Zolar Czakl that would be great if you can do that for me id really appreciate it thanks

Before my school loans right now i owe about $40,000 on credit cards car bill insurance and so on, so my plan is to take out a really large school loan pay all that off live on campus or near it and work part time and just pay it all back when i graduate. Can that be done? Also if you go on to medical school can you defer the undergrade loans until you finish the medical school? thanks guy

I'm at SB. "Pre-med," courses have a pretty rough reputation at Stony Brook; General Chem I (CHE 131) has the highest rate of students dropping out throughout the semester, supposedly. Cell & Organ Physiology (BIO 203) has the highest failure rate, although I don't see how one would easily confirm this.

Stony Brook is a really tough school...

Consider this confirmation: Cabot teaches it (but it IS A-able)