Pre-Med Athletes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ace5813

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am an athlete at a D1 school, as well as a pre-med student. From what I can tell, unless I spend the rest of my summers taking courses, it is going to take me an extra year to graduate. Because athletics takes up so much time, there isn't too much extra time for other extra-curriculars or research. I'm actually not a bad student- I have a 4.0 GPA. I even have a good amount of clinical experience from shaddowing doctors. Still, I cannot help but feel like medical school might not happen.

Anyone in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am an athlete at a D1 school, as well as a pre-med student. From what I can tell, unless I spend the rest of my summers taking courses, it is going to take me an extra year to graduate. Because athletics takes up so much time, there isn't too much extra time for other extra-curriculars or research. I'm actually not a bad student- I have a 4.0 GPA. I even have a good amount of clinical experience from shaddowing doctors. Still, I cannot help but feel like medical school might not happen.

Yeah I am a D-1 football player in kind of a similar situation. Although I already have my degree (after 3 years) and will do research/voluntee etc. during my fouth year since I will have been graduated already. I have a 4.0 science and 3.9 overall with a 37 mcat. So it can be done........if you have any determination at all.

D1 athlete over here and I did it. You can definetly do it!!! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

Time management. In fact if you do pull it off, I'd be willing to bet your ability to handle responsibility and sectioning off time will be pretty sharp. Gee is that a response to an essay or interview question i smell?

I'm a D-1 athlete also (gymnastics) and I found it very useful to take summer classes. Definitely utilize your summers- volunteer, shadow, take classes, etc. Also, I found a research internship that was actually for class credit- I'm currently doing chemistry research for 2 credits, so look into if your school allows you to do that. I even get to go in and work around my own schedule so it's very convenient and I don't have to miss practice or anything. You are a 4.0 student so obviously you know how to manage your time and balance academics and athletics- it's just a matter of looking into how to take advantage of opportunities at the right time. Good luck! :)

If bowling counts, I am also an example of a DI "athlete" turned med student. :thumbup:

I am a regular on the dental forums, but I noticed the thread and I wanted to post a response.

I played D1 basketball and long jumped for the track team at my University. I was accepted to multiple schools on December 1st. As long as you continue to work hard, maintain a stellar GPA and score decently on the MCAT, I don't see why you wouldn't get in. My GPA was pretty high, but my DAT scores were average. I'm not sure exaclty how it works with med school, but with dental it seems that a high GPA can somewhat overlook an average DAT score and vis versa (as long as you have some extracurricular) in your case college athletics. If you can have both a high GPA and MCAT, then all you have to do is nail the interview.

It seems to me from personal experience at my interviews, professional schools seem to really like student-athletes. I was asked at every one of my interviews about being a college athlete and how I think it will help me in dental school. I think having played college sports at any level (D1, D2, D3) is impressive, and I think it makes an applicant stand out.

Keep working hard and med school will come! Good luck!

Im a D-1 athlete (bball obviously) and I ended up taking course during two summers (physics I & II, orgo II, and some other major specific courses). I ended with a 3.9gpa so it can be done my friend. Just make sure you plan it out ahead of time. Somehow I got a little off track and had to take the August mcat instead of the one offered in April...but even with that I have done well in this process. Good luck!!

OP,

As long as you get about a 30 on the MCAT being a varsity athlete with such a high GPA will be a HUGE advantage. I think adcoms want evidence of people who have stretched themselves and still have great numbers. I am a D-III baseball player at a very rigorous academic school and the schools I have interviewed at seemed to be very impressed by varsity athletics. If you don't have good numbers though I think the schools that do interview you may see you as a jock with marginal intelligence. Whatever happens with the MCAT be sure to emphasize how much time athletics takes up in your AMCAS essays and your secondaries so they know your numbers would be even better had you not played a varsity sport.

Just a quick question about summer courses. I've been told that it is better not to take major-specific courses such as any science or math course over the summer because Adcoms view it as an easy alternative to taking such classes during the regular academic year. Myth or truth?

I've heard that also, but I have taken Physics 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2 over the summer and the schools I interviewed at didn't even hint that that was a problem (7 interviews out of 12 schools applied). I even took one of my hard sciences at a community college over the summer, and noone even mentioned it. I think they just want you to do well in your classes, whatever semester they may be in. And summer classes aren't necessarily easier either- my Physics class over the summer moved fast- 4 days a week, 3 hours a day for 6 weeks. Definitely a different experience from taking it in the fall or spring- but by no means easier, and I think schools realize that.