Pre-Med Biggest Pet Peeves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People who walk so slow right in front of you and you just want to punch them in the back of the head!

Members don't see this ad.

Couples holding hands while walking on the sidewalk who make you walk around them on the grass just so they don't have to break up their love-filled hand holding.

People who do well on a test and then pretend that they don't study at all and it just comes "naturally."

Members don't see this ad :)
People who freak out before a test you both have saying they're going to fail and that there screwed, then they end up getting a 95% or something.

People who do well on a test and then pretend that they don't study at all and it just comes "naturally."

Hmm...gonna have to disagree with this. I like your other points though. Whether you like it or not, some people can pick up on certain subjects without much studying at all. While I dont think this is true for every class a person takes, there are certainly specific subjects some people excel at better than others and thus require half as much studying.

I really really really hate the fat pre meds, especially when they take up the entire isle, so I can't leave my seat until they get up and move.
I really really hate it when groups of people walk down the sidewalk, forcing me to walk at the same pace, instead of them just walking in a straight line so I can get past.
I really hate it when people as simple, common knowledge questions in class, thus wasting every bodies time.
The group of drunk kids outside of my apartment screaming without any concern for anybody else.

People who are inconsiderate to those around them.

Last edited:
i know this is an old thread, but i had to post this because it happened to me last night.

i went out clubbing with some friends, and naturally, one of them gets extremely intoxicated and proceeds to throw up in the bathroom. i'm helping my friend as she's sticking her entire head in the trashcan, and then suddenly this other girl appears out of nowhere and shoves a glass of water down in the trashcan with my friend's head and says, "drink this." i said, "i'll get her to drink it." and then the girl puts up a hand, and says, "don't worry, i'm pre-med."

because apparently being "pre-med" also gives you the ability to make a drunk girl drink water instead of concentrating on throwing up.
this "pre-med" also advised me to give my drunk friend Tylenol. um.. no, thanks.
i wanted to slap her in the face.

Wow what an idiot. I agree with you. Those kinda people make me want to slap them. But as i said before, common sense is not so common.

i know this is an old thread, but i had to post this because it happened to me last night.

i went out clubbing with some friends, and naturally, one of them gets extremely intoxicated and proceeds to throw up in the bathroom. i'm helping my friend as she's sticking her entire head in the trashcan, and then suddenly this other girl appears out of nowhere and shoves a glass of water down in the trashcan with my friend's head and says, "drink this." i said, "i'll get her to drink it." and then the girl puts up a hand, and says, "don't worry, i'm pre-med."

because apparently being "pre-med" also gives you the ability to make a drunk girl drink water instead of concentrating on throwing up.
this "pre-med" also advised me to give my drunk friend Tylenol. um.. no, thanks.
i wanted to slap her in the face.
had to change my sig for that one.

Hmm...gonna have to disagree with this. I like your other points though. Whether you like it or not, some people can pick up on certain subjects without much studying at all. While I dont think this is true for every class a person takes, there are certainly specific subjects some people excel at better than others and thus require half as much studying.

I'm talking absolutely no studying, 0, zilch, goose egg.

Hey there. I'm new to the forum. It helps keep me entertained during down time.

I'll chime in on this one, because it's something that really ticks me off. It might be a little outside the pre-med realm, but nonetheless a good excuse for a first post.

My pet peeve is the degradation of a patient who is asleep/intubated/sedated. i.e. "Guess you forgot to buckle that seatbelt after that case of beer hahaha." .... "Wow, positive for cocaine, marijuana, and an EtOH of 240... here's a little sevo on the house."

dont know if this has been posted before, but this annoyed me when i was in college.

pre-meds complaining about o-chem. yes, its hard. yes, we all had to take it. no, its not the hardest thing.

Hey there. I'm new to the forum. It helps keep me entertained during down time.

I'll chime in on this one, because it's something that really ticks me off. It might be a little outside the pre-med realm, but nonetheless a good excuse for a first post.

My pet peeve is the degradation of a patient who is asleep/intubated/sedated. i.e. "Guess you forgot to buckle that seatbelt after that case of beer hahaha." .... "Wow, positive for cocaine, marijuana, and an EtOH of 240... here's a little sevo on the house."

Do you hear this while volunteering or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school we have both undergrads and MD medical students. I am in my 5th year of undergrad, so some of the students that I started with have already started medical school. It's a fairly small campus, so everyone in the undergrad biomedical sciences program got to know their classmates pretty well. I still see some of the students that I was in undergrad with and have since been accepted to the med school around campus sometimes and every time I say "hi" or "how is it going" I get a nasty look or brief "hi" and thety walk away. I mean come on. Just because you are a medical student now doesn't mean you are any better than me! And one time one of the medical students asked where I am going to school next year...so I told her I am going the DO route. All I got was "DO...oh I see, so what was your MCAT score?"

That's why I picked the closest apartment complex to the school that was filled with old people. It's boring as heck, but at least's it quiet 98% of the time.

Yeah, I moved into a close apartment complex. I am actually paying around 200+$ a month for a one bedroom to have my piece and quiet.

I really don't like college kids. Most are ignorant and inconsiderate as ****.

I woke up this morning to go to work, and one of those drunk kids puked over the ledge and they threw a bunch of beer bottles over the ledge and left them there.

It astounds me how stupid these college kids are. Are they really the future of America?!?! If they are, I'll be in Denmark.

But hey, I promise you, from now on, every weekend, they will be talking to the cops. I am not putting up with these ignorant pricks anymore.

It's sad when most college kids I see, I can think of 20+ occasions where every one of them should have been put in jail.... So sad ....

On the other hand, filling your belly with water will make it easier to throw up. If the drunk chick's been throwing up for a while and can't anymore cause there's barely anything left in her belly, drinking water will help her throw up. Even though most of what she throws up will be water, there will be remnants of alcohol and other stuff diluted in it. Also, when there's nothing left in her belly (cause it's already all passed into her sm. intestine, or cause she already threw it all up), it's a good idea to drink water. Incredibly good idea. Better yet, a liquid with electrolytes.

(not said as a pre-med, but as a [trained, certified] peer health educator)

thiamine & folic :p

Be careful in identifying yourself when trying to help someone... i.e. "Certified Peer Health Counselor." For some reason when you start throwing certifications around, people want to start throwing lawsuits around. i.e. if the drunkard aspirates the water you just gave her.

Last edited:
Be careful in identifying yourself... i.e. "Certified Peer Health Counselor." For some reason when you start throwing certifications around, people want to start throwing lawsuits around. i.e. if the drunkard aspirates the water you just gave her.

oh noez the internets is gonna sue me!!!

I am an undergraduate at a school that has an elephant as a mascot... About half of the students here are "premed."
It bugs me so much when people brag about their resumes on facebook among other things. :mad:

A classmate's recent status:

"Whoohoo! Just got an article published through my biomedical research internship--- my ticket to medical school!! Yay!"

My biggest pet peeves are ******ed lab schedules. I have a 3 hour gap between labs on Tuesday. In fact, I hate labs altogether.

So what are your biggest peeves related to the premed population.

Ill start.

1) Wearing scrubs to class....No one gives a **** that you wipe butt for a living, you arent that busy. I am sure you could take 5 minutes to change out of those damn, smelly Scrubs.

Misuse of the subjunctive.
"OMG, I hate that ******* who got the 98!" "I got the 98." "Oh... do you wanna study with me for the next exam?"
People who sit in the back of the room and get angry when I ask a question that intrigues me. If you're not interested, read the book and don't come to class. It's not all about the tests.
"This is sooooo hard!" (2 weeks later) "Yea, I got a 100 on that test. Didn't even try."

I am an undergraduate at a school that has an elephant as a mascot... About half of the students here are "premed."
It bugs me so much when people brag about their resumes on facebook among other things. :mad:

A classmate's recent status:

"Whoohoo! Just got an article published through my biomedical research internship--- my ticket to medical school!! Yay!"

I'd totally do that, and link everyone to it as well. I can understand, though, how annoying it would get if lots of people did that.

I really really really hate the fat pre meds, especially when they take up the entire isle, so I can't leave my seat until they get up and move.

Hm, I've noticed alot like this. I'm fat myself (despite the fact that I go to the gym one hour a day six days a week >.>) and find it interesting that so many people here have problems with people who are overweight. I'm not fat because I don't exercise... but because I eat a lot, lol! :D I hope you all realize you'll have plenty of fat (more, obese) people to deal with during your careers :eek: I guess the reason I'm pointing this out is because I'm hoping that people don't look at me and are like "wow, what a ****head, he's fat."

That said, the later qualification doesn't apply to me... I'm usually running out of the room as fast as I can to make my next class in five minutes on the other side of campus. But my advice would be to show up early and sit on the outside of the aisle.

Edit: Oh and sorry for the triple post :oops:

I mentioned this on another post. It's not so much pet peeve as it is funny to hear (maybe annoying that they don't atleast try to read around about applying as far as I know). I heard someone in class say to another person, "Well, I'm going to apply this summer, then when I get into medical school, I'm going to defer my acceptance for a year. Then that next summer (right after the first application cycle they would apply in), I'm going to reapply and just go to another school! It's a great idea." Their friend also agreed that they were making a great decision. Wow....:laugh:

Premeds, and medical students, that think med school is the toughest education you can undertake.

Premeds, and medical students, that think med school is the toughest education you can undertake.

Well, it's certainly on the higher end of the list. But yeah, "toughest" is a matter of perspective.

As far as the thread, the clueless ones who use "I'm premed" as a statement of credibility need to be slapped.

People that say what specialty they're planning on going into before they even get into med school. When I run into these people, I'm kind of amazed that they were already saying they wanted to go into "pediatrics, neurosurgery, etc. etc."

Um...How about getting into med school first??

Also, there was actually this person on valuemd who had been kicked out of college after getting placed on academic probation twice and he was on there asking about his chances. Now, there's nothing wrong with asking for advice, but the guy was 1) bashing Caribbean schools like crazy 2) would only do neurosurgery and nothing else.

Misuse of the subjunctive.
"OMG, I hate that ******* who got the 98!" "I got the 98." "Oh... do you wanna study with me for the next exam?"
People who sit in the back of the room and get angry when I ask a question that intrigues me. If you're not interested, read the book and don't come to class. It's not all about the tests.
"This is sooooo hard!" (2 weeks later) "Yea, I got a 100 on that test. Didn't even try."

I think this about covers it. :thumbup:

People that say what specialty they're planning on going into before they even get into med school. When I run into these people, I'm kind of amazed that they were already saying they wanted to go into "pediatrics, neurosurgery, etc. etc."

Um...How about getting into med school first??

Yea, there's nothing wrong with having interests (like interested in pathology, or surgery, or something), but it get's annoying when the person is like "I only want to do _____, I don't want to do anything else. I was born to be that. I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't ____" and they're still in UG.

This guy I know, who was certain his great GPA would get him in anywhere (applying this summer), is pretty annoying in the fact that he doesn't want to really work with people, yet wants to be a doctor. He hasn't done any volunteering so I suggested he call the hospital closest to him. He asked what I did, I told him patient transporting. His response was "Eww, you move people around? I don't want to do that, that's like low work. I don't want to deal with people!" Man....