Pre-Med Cardiovascular Research Internship in MN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHIF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application period for the 2009 Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation (MHIF) Summer Research Internship Program has just opened (application deadline February 16). MHIF is a non-profit, community-based foundation that serves as the research and education arm of the Minneapolis Heart Institute at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

We are seeking a diverse pool of interns based on a combination of demonstrated academic performance, leadership, and career aspirations in the field of cardiology and/or research. Internships are open to undergraduate students in various health care disciplines. Internships will be full-time, 10-12 weeks in duration, and offer a modest stipend of $8 per hour and paid parking. We hope to have all interns present for orientation during the week of June 1-5, 2009. All internships will be on the campus of Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Detailed information is available at mplsheart.org.

Feedback from 2008 interns:
"If premed students were asked to visualize and design the perfect paid summer internship, complete with research, shadowing, and mentoring components, this vision would be very similar to what the MHIF research internship actually is in real life."

"I was able to gain a level of exposure to cardiology that exceeded what I thought was possible at this stage in my career path."

"I was able to work in close intellectual collaboration with a research cardiologist. This learning relationship itself was very valuable. Also, working on research problems was very challenging and intellectually stimulating. I also really enjoyed and learned from the procedures I was able to watch, especially surgical procedures."

Members don't see this ad.