Pre-Med Clinical Experience...PT Receptionist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMindigo08

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Quick question about clinical experience, but let me start with my work history as a prerequisite for the context in the discussion...

I have a few months of experience shadowing physicians and volunteering in the OR...more to come (working with physicians, medical support staff, and patients)
I worked as a Caregiver in an assisted living facility for 8 months (geriatric residents, not patients)
I worked as a Phlebotomist/Lab Tech for 3 years at a plasma center (donors, not patients)

Okay...NOW for the question:

I have the opportunity to work in an administrative position as a Patient Service Representative in a Physical Therapy Clinic. Does this count for anything during med school admissions? It is not clinical, but it deals directly with medical records, insurance, and patient relations. Does that count for anything?

I am taking a year off and I am about to retake the MCAT so I can get into med school next year. I have a GPA of 3.4 and a Bachelors in Pre Med. I quit my position as a Plasma Center Phlebotomist because I would prefer to work in a "clinical setting" around medical staff and patients, but this administrative job was offered to me before I have received any responses on my recent hospital Phlebotomy/lab research applications. Should I take it?? It pays well, but I don't want to waste time if this doesn't count for anything. I figured it may accent my resume as a more business/patient relations/medical records experience that makes me more well rounded as an applicant. Also, I am considering both MD and DO schools. Any and all! I have a week to accept or deny this job. Thanks for any input!
Michael

Members don't see this ad.

If you never get into medical school, does this job offer any upward mobility or experience that you could use in a climb up the ladder as an administrator? Does an administrative job appeal to you? If not medicine, then what? Would this job be a good prep for that Plan B or should you be looking for something else?

If you never get into medical school, does this job offer any upward mobility or experience that you could use in a climb up the ladder as an administrator? Does an administrative job appeal to you? If not medicine, then what? Would this job be a good prep for that Plan B or should you be looking for something else?
I don't anticipate a career in medical administration, however, this job absolutely has room for promotion or a "foot in the door" so to speak. The hiring manager has helped many previous staff members in their pursuit for PT careers, however, my focus is 100% medical school. If I do not make it into medical school, I will undoubtedly pursue PA school or a Nursing Degree to become a Nurse Practitioner.