1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pre-med committee letter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by streetdoc, Oct 7, 2002.

1. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One of my secondaries asks for a pre-med committee letter. i went to a smaller school and we don't have an official committee, but my advisor/department chair said they could write one as a committee for me. is this a good idea or should i let the school know there is no committee???
    and what does a committee usually consist of? all science profs?
    thanks for the help
    streetdoc

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SDNLurker

SDNLurker Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

my school used a committee full of science people, a few local doctors and professors. Youshould be fine! :)

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Just inform the school that your school does not have a committee, and go ahead and send your LOR's. Many schools require you to use a committee letter if your school has one, but no one expects you to go to the trouble of convening a committee that does not exist!! Plus it would just delay you. My school (a large private university) did not have a committee, so I have no idea who's usually on them, but I had no problems applying to 23 schools without a committee. Good luck with your applications!! :)

5. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SMW is right. Listen to her. If the school has a committee, then this letter must be used. If not, then use the LORs.

6. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

I agree, just let the school know you don't have a committee. Most of the time they will let you know what they want in place of a committee letter. LOR's are used in place of the letter as said above.