Pre-med committee letter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by streetdoc, Oct 7, 2002.

1. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member

Attending Physician
    One of my secondaries asks for a pre-med committee letter. i went to a smaller school and we don't have an official committee, but my advisor/department chair said they could write one as a committee for me. is this a good idea or should i let the school know there is no committee???
    and what does a committee usually consist of? all science profs?
    thanks for the help
    streetdoc

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SDNLurker

SDNLurker Junior Member

my school used a committee full of science people, a few local doctors and professors. Youshould be fine! :)

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Just inform the school that your school does not have a committee, and go ahead and send your LOR's. Many schools require you to use a committee letter if your school has one, but no one expects you to go to the trouble of convening a committee that does not exist!! Plus it would just delay you. My school (a large private university) did not have a committee, so I have no idea who's usually on them, but I had no problems applying to 23 schools without a committee. Good luck with your applications!! :)

5. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    SMW is right. Listen to her. If the school has a committee, then this letter must be used. If not, then use the LORs.

6. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

I agree, just let the school know you don't have a committee. Most of the time they will let you know what they want in place of a committee letter. LOR's are used in place of the letter as said above.