Pre-med committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PullingThrough

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't kill me for this one; it's probably a no-brainer to you guys...

My school doesn't have a pre-med committee or anything, but after browsing a few of the threads on this forum, it seems like you all don't look too favorably on these committees. Is there a reason?

Members don't see this ad.

you all don't look too favorably on these committees. \

Actually, I really appreciate the fact that my school DOES have a committee. They take care of filing and sending my LORs, which saves me a bunch of trouble. Also, since my letters are sent in the "committee letter" format, I don't have to worry about individual school requirenments for the # of specific letters. The committee, to me, has generally been a useful tool.

Yeah sure, they have their own annoying policies but they do a great service. At Davis, they'll screen out bad letters, make you comfy in your interview, sing your praise in your committee letter, and distribute the packets electronically so you don't have to worry about each school's archane requirements like neurochic said.

It's great. My interviewer even called me on a Sunday to run his letter by me to make sure he put the focus on the right things. Score!

Members don't see this ad :)
The committee is saving me lots of money and time!

Please don't kill me for this one; it's probably a no-brainer to you guys...

My school doesn't have a pre-med committee or anything, but after browsing a few of the threads on this forum, it seems like you all don't look too favorably on these committees. Is there a reason?
Well, some of us have committees that tend to write rather unflattering reviews when it comes to committee letters (although I imagine most people who have this happen probably deserve it), and/or delay or altogether lose paperwork. I am quite thankful that there is not a committee here simply for the latter reason.

mine charges to do all this crap. I think its 50 dollars or so. :mad:

Then I would say screw it and not use them (actually I would do this even if they did not charge). Unless you go to a big name school how are the ADCOMs going to know that you did an end run around your school's system?

well considering the reason they charge is due to the large number of applicants , im sure they'll know unforuntely. sigh

well considering the reason they charge is due to the large number of applicants , im sure they'll know unforuntely. sigh
Ah, the beauty of going to a small school......

At Davis, they'll screen out bad letters, make you comfy in your interview, sing your praise in your committee letter, and distribute the packets electronically so you don't have to worry about each school's archane requirements like neurochic said.

Haha, my pre-med committee also told us that they will screen bad letters and take them out of the packet. I had a friend whose professor referred to her repeatedly as a HE, and the pre-med committee didn't pick up on it. She ended up going to an awesome school, so in the end, I guess it didn't matter much, but it makes you wonder...

Haha, my pre-med committee also told us that they will screen bad letters and take them out of the packet. I had a friend whose professor referred to her repeatedly as a HE, and the pre-med committee didn't pick up on it. She ended up going to an awesome school, so in the end, I guess it didn't matter much, but it makes you wonder...
Yeah I think they'll let medicore letters through. I'm hoping that they just catch the ones that didn't do it correctly like forgot to sign the waiver. I have some letter writers who need the double-checking ;)