pre-med concentration troubles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i started out school thinking I wanted to do neuroscience. After taking "basic" neurobio, not so sure anymore. I kno this is probably a weed out class, so maybe that's why it's hard or not as interesting. But maybe I don't want to do neuroscience as much as Ithought. I am now thinking about what other things I enjoy doing. I love math and puzzles. I like chemistry. I am good at math but I haven't been getting stellar grades in chemistry. I am under the impression that this is because chemistry takes more effort than math, and that I could probably do just as well in chem with more effort (organic). I get excited when the chem concepts click, so I thought maybe chem major. But for pre-med purposes I don't want to end up having a low gpa. Furthermore, I dont want to major in math because I don't see it as a useful subject for short term purposes or for being able to contribute to society somehow within a lifetime. So I am lost. Of course you can't tell me what i should choose. I am wondering if any of you had similar experiences and what kind of decisions you ended up making. Sacrifice a high gpa for something that makes me excited, or sacrifice academic excitement for a high gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

So i started out school thinking I wanted to do neuroscience. After taking "basic" neurobio, not so sure anymore. I kno this is probably a weed out class, so maybe that's why it's hard or not as interesting. But maybe I don't want to do neuroscience as much as Ithought. I am now thinking about what other things I enjoy doing. I love math and puzzles. I like chemistry. I am good at math but I haven't been getting stellar grades in chemistry. I am under the impression that this is because chemistry takes more effort than math, and that I could probably do just as well in chem with more effort (organic). I get excited when the chem concepts click, so I thought maybe chem major. But for pre-med purposes I don't want to end up having a low gpa. Furthermore, I dont want to major in math because I don't see it as a useful subject for short term purposes or for being able to contribute to society somehow within a lifetime. So I am lost. Of course you can't tell me what i should choose. I am wondering if any of you had similar experiences and what kind of decisions you ended up making. Sacrifice a high gpa for something that makes me excited, or sacrifice academic excitement for a high gpa?

what you wrote doesn't make any sense lol. if you don't like to major in science, just major in music.

You probably should major in something you like to do, obviously. Also, try to major in something were the effort required is not necessarily minimal, and not necessarily too demanding, but one where the effort required is doable. In other words, major in what you're good at, and you will get a very good GPA.

But then again, I like to focus on learning something for the long run, not for getting all A's (which I haven't done since first semester of Freshman year).