Pre-Med considering switch to Pre-PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrJosh9788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a freshman pre-med student. I took Gen Chem I and II and Bio I and II this year, and haven't been too much of a challenge. I'm really not sure I want to become a physician for a number of reasons. The more I have learned about PAs, the more I have been interested in the profession--particularly surgical specialties. How much does reputation of your undergrad school matter when applying to PA schools? My school is alright, and I plan on transferring to a better school, but just would like to know. Also, what's the average GPA for PA school? I had a mediocre 3.14 first semester, but currently have a 4.0 and can most likely maintain it. I also volunteer at Yale-NH. Am I on the right track?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm a freshman pre-med student. I took Gen Chem I and II and Bio I and II this year, and haven't been too much of a challenge. I'm really not sure I want to become a physician for a number of reasons. The more I have learned about PAs, the more I have been interested in the profession--particularly surgical specialties. How much does reputation of your undergrad school matter when applying to PA schools? My school is alright, and I plan on transferring to a better school, but just would like to know. Also, what's the average GPA for PA school? I had a mediocre 3.14 first semester, but currently have a 4.0 and can most likely maintain it. I also volunteer at Yale-NH. Am I on the right track?

The school reputation doesn't really matter. Your GPA if you keep it up will be OK. The average in 2006 was 3.25. You will need some classes that aren't included in normal pre-med such as A&P. You will probably not need some classes such as physics. Depending on the program you wish to attend its advisable to get medical experience. EMT or CNA are pretty easy to get and you can work part time while in school. Not all programs require medical experience but this will give you the most options.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Members don't see this ad :)
SEE www.aapa.org for general pa info
see www.physicianassistant.net for a pa specific forum
see www.appap.org for info on optional pa residencies
do get some medical experience such as emt or medical asst., it really does give you more options.

That sounds a bit like my current thoughts. Get into an EMT program and get some experience. If all goes well, try for my PA education.

MrJosh9788,

Here is a bit of advice.

Luckily your early enough in your education where you have the luxury of figuring this out for yourself.

Assuming your interested in Med school or PA school, means you obviously have an interest in practicing medicine, because either path that is what your doing as a career only difference is scope of practice.

So you need to take time and figure out what these other reasons are for not wanting to become a physician.

Best advice I can give you is, stay pre med do all the required courses (almost all over lap with pre-pa), take the MCAT even. Because the reality is all of this will make you a better PA and better candidate for PA school if you so decide when you graduate, if not med school is still an option.

In the process talk to about 10 different PA's in different fields and talk to 10 different 10 doctors in different fields, shadow some of each, learn about their lives and experiences, scope of practice and limitations.

Of course get real health care experience if you can in the process.

2-3 years from now if you do all this you should have a real answer to what you want to do and know WHY your choosing and that it is for the right reasons.

Why am I saying this? I am perfectly happy with PA as my profession because it works for where I am in my life. But if I was a 1st year undergraduate and knew I was interested in medicine and wanted to make it my career. Well medical school just makes a lot more sense.

MWPA

Spend some time shadowing both MDs (or DOs) and PAs. There's no better way to get a sense of which track would be more satisfying for you than actually putting yourself out there, where you can evaluate how your personality and preferences would fit with those job descriptions and settings.

Shadow a few different ones, too. I hung out with a PA in a rural after-hours Urgent Care, and the PAs in an urban ED. I spent time with an ortho surgeon and a hospitalist. Basically, I didn't see too much difference in the day to day tasks, and the differences I saw mostly involved administrative stuff that I realized would drive me crazy over time.

I thought seriously about med school, but when I made my choice I made it for reasons that were important to me. So that's step one: figure out what criteria are important to you. Then check things out to see which road fits you better. Good luck!