Pre-med convert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalassociate

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do not study abroad.

Do you have medical (not dental) clinical experience? Could you give a good reason in interviews why you made the switch?

Are your illnesses under control? It is not advisable to go to medical school while unhealthy--it will aggravate anxiety and depression.

Do not study abroad.

Do you have medical (not dental) clinical experience? Could you give a good reason in interviews why you made the switch?

Are your illnesses under control? It is not advisable to go to medical school while unhealthy--it will aggravate anxiety and depression.
Why not abroad? And yes to both.

Members don't see this ad :)
First...breathe and take your time, make sure you are ready. Mental health is serious business and you will be going through a lot of stress.

Your GPA is on the lower end for MD (definitely still doable though especially if you get a high MCAT score), but you're a strong applicant for DO schools. Science GPA is more important IMO.

If you plan to practice in the US, go to school in the US. Don't be tempted to go abroad. Both MD and DO will allow you to practice.

Get Clinical experiences and shadowing rolling.

When are you planning on taking the MCAT? Did you already take the DAT? When would you be applying to med school?

Hello
I am a 22 year old pre-dent. I have earned my bachelors in biology, have alot of volunteer work and extracurriculars, very good interview (interpersonal) skills and am looking to go to medical school possibly instead of dental.

My academic career is a bit complicated. Through my first 90 credit hours i maintained a very solid 3.8-3.9 gpa, but after that i started to fall ill with anxiety and depression. My current cumulative gpa is around 3.55. I believe i could do well on the MCAT if i studied hard enough. I am also open to going abroad to study (just about anywhere.) Not to brag but i am very gifted intellectually and bring alot to the table as a candidate during an interview.

What tips/advice do you have for me?
You have a number of red flags.

First the downward GPA trend. You need to demonstrate to Adcoms that you can handle med school. So far, you haven't.
Priority #1 is to attend to your mental health. Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

A year in either a DIY post-bac or SMP and aceing it (3.7+ GPA) will show that that the mental health issues have resolved.

I believe I could do well on the MCAT if i studied hard enough.
You're definitely a pre-med now. Every pre-med in the world believes this.

I am also open to going abroad to study (just about anywhere.)

If you want to practice medicine in the US, you need to go to a US med school. Do a search in these fora to find out why.

Not to brag but i am very gifted intellectually and bring alot to the table as a candidate during an interview.
Yup, definitely a pre-med. Note: it's "a lot", not "alot".

Reactions: 9 users
Not to brag but i am very gifted intellectually and bring alot to the table as a candidate during an interview.

The savagery is strong with you, Goro

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
You're definitely a pre-med now. Every pre-med in the world believes this. :eek:

Not to brag but i am very gifted intellectually and bring alot to the table as a candidate during an interview. :laugh::lol:
The savagery is strong with you, Goro :rofl:

Well, OP did bring it down on his own head.
Oh Goro, I think back to my first post and :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: even went in freak-out mode to my fav Kaplan instructor (you're famous there too)... "Goro?? Meh, take Goro with a grain of salt" :whistle:

But I learned from that first post. Learned how things can be taken, especially coming from a premed with notaclue about the process.

So even as I laugh above, and giggle inside, I'm thinking "Thank you."

Reactions: 1 user
:rofl::rofl:

First the downward GPA trend. You need to demonstrate to Adcoms that you can handle med school. So far, you haven't.
Priority #1 is to attend to your mental health. Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

A year in either a DIY post-bac or SMP and aceing it (3.7+ GPA) will show that that the mental health issues have resolved.

If you want to practice medicine in the US, you need to go to a US med school. Do a search in these fora to find out why.

Add to list

One of Goro's pet peeves, "alot"

:rofl::boom:

Hello
I am a 22 year old pre-dent. I have earned my bachelors in biology, have alot of volunteer work and extracurriculars, very good interview (interpersonal) skills and am looking to go to medical school possibly instead of dental.

My academic career is a bit complicated. Through my first 90 credit hours i maintained a very solid 3.8-3.9 gpa, but after that i started to fall ill with anxiety and depression. My current cumulative gpa is around 3.55. I believe i could do well on the MCAT if i studied hard enough. I am also open to going abroad to study (just about anywhere.) Not to brag but i am very gifted intellectually and bring alot to the table as a candidate during an interview.

No one can tell you whether to pursue medicine or dentistry; that you have to decide for yourself. Hopefully you have figured out the anxiety/depression thing so you can sort out your career direction with a clear head.

Reactions: 1 users
I would appreciate if my thread was not flooded by people criticizing me for a typo on an annonymous internet forum.

Again, I listed some things about myself that would stand out/contribute on an application and or interview. If I was not very good with interviewing and speaking I would not have stated that I was good at interviews and intellectually gifted. I am not here to brag.

Pretty sad to see our future medical professionals are a bunch of pedantic internet trolls, lol.

Hello

If one of the determinants, and not sure it is, happens to be concerns about mcat scoring, you might look over the aamc mcat prep materials to get a feel for the level of rigor. I realize you profess to be unconcerned about your ability to do well on this test, but it might be useful to take a peek at representative samples before you commit either way.

Reactions: 3 users
I would appreciate if my thread was not flooded by people criticizing me for a typo on an annonymous internet forum.

Again, I listed some things about myself that would stand out/contribute on an application and or interview. If I was not very good with interviewing and speaking I would not have stated that I was good at interviews and intellectually gifted. I am not here to brag.
:lol::rofl::lol: (I do apologize, my inner child just came out)
1. Intellectually gifted people don't ask a random forum for help, they just do
2. No one comes here and tells people they are excellent interviews without
:boom:

Nothing you've listed so far, to me (a meaningless, insignificant non-matriculated, non-adcom'd individual of amorphous characteristics) is outstanding. Good if true, but not outstanding.

Okay someone can close this thread now. Ive seen enough lol
Pretty sad to see our future medical professionals are a bunch of pedantic internet trolls, lol.
Wrong use of pedantic. When it comes to med school, DETAILS are important.

Pedantic means "like a pedant," someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way. You don't want to go antique-shopping with a pedantic friend, who will use the opportunity to bore you with his in-depth knowledge of Chinese porcelain kitty-litter boxes.

I'm sure the moderator will oblige you and close the thread, thankfully people must smarter than me always copy the entire OP post to make sure it sticks.

As an aside, I came here a few years ago extolled my great virtue, great GPA (far better than yours), my 10,000 hours of volunteering, my shadowing, family connections to famous hospital (heck, my family name is in the museum there) and you know what?

I got my @#$ handed to me but good. I went away, licked my wounds, stomped my feet, mumbled, and then? I grew up and realized, they were right. I was an arrogant ash.

So you have 3 choices here: stay and continue to which you'll continue to find us mocking you, stay and grow up and stop thinking you're the next coming of a medical Einstein, or leave.

Any which way, I do wish you the best - life is long, be happy!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello

List of burn centers in the United States - Wikipedia

19598.jpg

19599.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

OP, by all means don't take it personally. You need a thick skin if you want to stick around here. This is the internet and people can and will criticize you all they want... Not getting offended easily is a good lifeskill to have, especially for doctors.