Pre-Med course work is offcially the dumbest thing ever.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why does ANYONE with "Pre-Medical" in there name come in here and act like they know what they're talking about? You don't, none of you are in medical school yet so how could you possibly be so passionate about what you "need" to know when you're a doctor?

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Why does ANYONE with "Pre-Medical" in there name come in here and act like they know what they're talking about? You don't, none of you are in medical school yet so how could you possibly be so passionate about what you "need" to know when you're a doctor?

whoa what's with the med student elitism? everyone starts off as a premed, and med students dont really know what they need as a doctor either.

whoa what's with the med student elitism? everyone starts off as a premed, and med students dont really know what they need as a doctor either.

Ignorance is in tiers. The more experience within the system, the better the understanding of how the system works. Pre-meds have to rank just above high school students in terms of reliability of first-hand information.

*I suppose I should realize the irony of me stating something definitively as a pre-med.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not a med student at all, I just realize that I can't make any claims whatsoever about what it takes to BE a medical student or a practicing doctor, because I have never experienced the coursework or daily demands. Didn't mean for it to come off as elitist, I just think people need to realize that they are trying to make claims about something they know nothing of yet.

why does anyone with "pre-medical" in there name come in here and act like they know what they're talking about? You don't, none of you are in medical school yet so how could you possibly be so passionate about what you "need" to know when you're a doctor?

+10000000

Yeah? Well the last time I checked, my doctor didn't really look at how gravity affects my blood flow or how much gas exchange is taking place in my lungs.

Face it, it might come back again in theory, but claiming that you will use the stuff in a practical, real world-applied way is absurd.

The other night in the ER, a nephrologist gave a little impromptu lecture to a few other docs and anyone else listening (me) on the effects of giving toradol simultaneously with some other drug class (I forget which). Anyway, the two have effects on the kidneys that leads to renal failure which would otherwise be unexplained. I left out the complicated fliud mechanics part of the lecture, the heart of the topic. I did this because I don't really remember the details and I don't want to embarrass myself by making something up, but the point is that the knowledge of chemistry and physics allowed for the resolution of the problem. Medicine is not a static field, and the basic sciences are vital components of any scientist's ability to solve clinical problems. Physicians ARE scientists: if you don't want to (or can't) use that knowledge in medicine, you should seek a non-scientist role in healthcare.

what they say about college is TRUE, in the end you learn NOTHING that is important but everything about LIFE....

I mean I guess my Biology classes will help me in medical school, but NONE of the other classes will be useful in medicine.

That's why in India and Europe, they don't waste your time by making you go through undergraduate years to "drink, have fun, enjoy life" as I was told by the European doctor I shadowed...He said in Europe they have a 6 year medical school curriculum following high school, while in India, they have a 5.5 year medical school curriculum...

But I would never take the chance and go to India or Europe because it's scary to think if I fail the boards or don't get super high scores, will I have wasted 5-6 years? I know many people in this situation and in the end, FMG is not the way to go....just my 2 cents!

what they say about college is TRUE, in the end you learn NOTHING that is important but everything about LIFE....

I mean I guess my Biology classes will help me in medical school, but NONE of the other classes will be useful in medicine.

That's why in India and Europe, they don't waste your time by making you go through undergraduate years to "drink, have fun, enjoy life" as I was told by the European doctor I shadowed...He said in Europe they have a 6 year medical school curriculum following high school, while in India, they have a 5.5 year medical school curriculum...

at 18, who really knows what they want to do with their life? sure its easy to say youre going to go to med school, but the benefit of going to college first is that you get to take other subjects that might be of more interest to you, make connections with people who are going into fields youve never heard of yet, have fun, enjoy your youth and most importantly, LEARN ABOUT YOURSELF. most kids going into college will be living away from home for the first time, which in itself could be a huge life changing experience. you could also study abroad, get a "regular" summer job, etc, that you wouldnt be able to do necessarily if you went straight to med school. high school kids for the most part lack the maturity to make such a huge decision on the career they will be in the rest of their life. college is a chance for people to learn who they are, what they like and want from life and have fun in the process. i will never ever think its wise for someone to go straight from high school to med school, that includes those 8 year programs for ba-md. you are essentially signing a life contract that commits you to one path, regardless if you have a change of heart later. i could go on forever about this...

Because I have family members in med school. Don't think you're some sort of god because you got in, you're just a ****ing person just like the rest of us, as are doctors.

You're clueless but you're telling people to "face it?" It's pathetic that your doctor does not know *why* he must operate on you only when you are lying down. What if the doctor encounters something he has not seen before? What if it's time critical too? With a little theory and calculations, he might be able to do something. Otherwise, he'll be stuck there holding his dick. You think everything that can ever happen has been documented in medicine?

You want to know a little secret. For all their supposed "knowledge", doctors don't really know what they are doing. You don't see something wrong there? I think it's dysfunctional. And I don't think people with your attitude should be doctors.

Well then that's the way it has to be. Medicine is a a big experiment after all. There's not really a sure way EVER. "Lets put you back on Lipitor sir, the other medication doesn't seem to be working"

But I would never take the chance and go to India or Europe because it's scary to think if I fail the boards or don't get super high scores, will I have wasted 5-6 years? I know many people in this situation and in the end, FMG is not the way to go....just my 2 cents!

I do like how they do it in foreign countries. Even though the idea of "learning who you are" in college sounds fine and dandy. Most people just go for massive amounts of drinking and partying while going through classes to work behind a desk the rest of their lives. Doesn't really sound too life changing to me.

at 18, who really knows what they want to do with their life? sure its easy to say youre going to go to med school, but the benefit of going to college first is that you get to take other subjects that might be of more interest to you, make connections with people who are going into fields youve never heard of yet, have fun, enjoy your youth and most importantly, LEARN ABOUT YOURSELF. most kids going into college will be living away from home for the first time, which in itself could be a huge life changing experience. you could also study abroad, get a "regular" summer job, etc, that you wouldnt be able to do necessarily if you went straight to med school. high school kids for the most part lack the maturity to make such a huge decision on the career they will be in the rest of their life. college is a chance for people to learn who they are, what they like and want from life and have fun in the process. i will never ever think its wise for someone to go straight from high school to med school, that includes those 8 year programs for ba-md. you are essentially signing a life contract that commits you to one path, regardless if you have a change of heart later. i could go on forever about this...

You're in med school man, how about you post some material which you learn on a regular basis in med school. It will perhaps give me an idea of what I will learn in med school. Because at this point, I see med school as "study this body part, study the diseases affecting it, study how to treat it" but according to some people here, it's much more than that

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in med school man, how about you post some material which you learn on a regular basis in med school. It will perhaps give me an idea of what I will learn in med school. Because at this point, I see med school as "study this body part, study the diseases affecting it, study how to treat it" but according to some people here, it's much more than that

The bicarbonate buffer system is essential for maintaining acid-base balance at physiologic pH.
Major disorders include:
-Respiratory Acidosis
-Respiratory Alkalosis
-Metabolic Acidosis
-Metabolic Alkalosis

Feel free to read more about those on your own.

Because I have family members in med school. Don't think you're some sort of god because you got in, you're just a ****ing person just like the rest of us, as are doctors.

Wow...

So I guess having family members in medical school makes you omniscient concerning the needs of physicians? I suppose this mighty vicarious experience means you know what doc will never need to know?

Although I suppose you must be pretty darn knowledgeable about medical school with your in-med-school family members, I might suggest that if you want to get in, you should probably seek out help from med students and residents here, not insult them. Just a thought... I bet they'd be more than happy to give you suggestions on how to succeed in these courses if you weren't so abrasive toward them when they attempt to kindly correct you.

Anyway... I found your first post a bit interesting to say the least:

Great job to whoever thought about this idea, you dumb ****s.

Not only do classes like Physics and Chemistry reflect absolutely NOTHING you will be learning in med school. But it's a complete waste of everyone's time and energy. I hope the person who thought that putting pre-med students through the tortures of undergrad classes died of a horrible cancer mixed with some sort of burning related death.

First of all, I love medicine, I love the interaction with patients and the satisfaction I see that doctors recieve when they successfully diagnose and treat patients.

But classes like Gen Chem and O Chem are SERIOUSLY discouraging and depressing me. I have made pretty much Bs in all my sciences courses. 2.62 GPA (After first year) And I studied HARD, but this stuff just sucks. I took classes like A&P which DO reflect med school and I made easy As, there's something wrong here. I have seen people quit right in front of me, saying they couldn't handle the damn classes.

Who agrees? Some people even try to justify that we will be using this in our career, the nerve.

I noticed you consider A&P as closer to med school than bio; however, I think you're missing the point of the majority of pre-med classes (other than to introduce you to the material and maybe do a little weeding in the process). Physicians are problem-solvers. They need to be able to make complex decisions in their heads often under stressful, unfavorable, and time-sensitive conditions. You may get a call at 2am on an on-call night and be asked to prescribe a medication for a complex and unexpected medical condition over the phone while you're still half-asleep and probably don't really want to be awake too long looking for the answer because you have your first patient at the hospital in 5 hours. That requires that you can think clearly despite being tired and know your basic sciences well enough to figure out a good answer to a problem you may not have seen in 5 years (an answer good enough to keep that patient alive until you get to the hospital in the morning to take care of the issue). If you cannot solve simple problems in which you are basically given a formula (whether algebraic or a set of steps to perform) and told to figure out which numbers go where (hint: unit analysis will solve quite a few, if not most, basic physics & chemistry problems for you w/ halfway-decent problem-solving logic and abilities... the others usually have other, simple or, sometimes, not-so-simple, ways of solving them step-by-step -- that are usually written in your book), how do you expect to be able to make critical decisions concerning which drug and how much of that drug, taking into account possible complications, drug interactions, etc. Remember, all it takes is one wrong decision to become implicated in a wrongful death malpractice suit and all it takes is you losing 1 of those suits to get your license suspended or revoked or, at minimum, much higher malpractice premiums.

Also, I noticed the 1 set of courses you liked, A&P, is basically memorization. You stated that med school is like this. Sure, I'm sure parts of medical school are this way (almost everything is to some degree), but from what physicians I've spoken with have said, there's a lot more to it than mere memorization. Sure, you'll do your fair share of that, but eventually you're going to be applying those memorized concepts to actual problems and, later, clinical situations and that application is going to require strong problem-solving abilities. If you're struggling with chem/physics now, I think adcoms have every right and even a responsibility to question your ability to succeed as a physician.

Your loss. My college experience was definitely like that. I learned a ton.

Some of you people need to have some respect for the basic sciences that lay the foundation for modern medicine.

i think i am going to go to a MFA forum and complain about lit 101, shakespeare 101 and the monotony of etymology. ughh...

dude science frickin rules, no matter when or at what level it is studied. ive taken gen chem 3 times (including my HS career) and have always learned something a little new each time, if not more. its sad to hear that a "pre-med" student is worried about the value of the basics, which if u study the etymology ;) of the word, "basics," u will find u cant have your precious M.D. without them

GO BASIC SCIENCE!

U will be disappointed with med school my friend. Its a lot like undergrad x100. I never had so much physics and gen chem in my life. And if your not "understanding the concepts" in undergrad your not going to do well on the mcat nor will you pass your first year. You absolutely use this stuff again and you will have to know it for boards and you will have to "think" if you ever plan to become a doctor. Its literally the foundation of everything you will be learning. Im beside myself with your ignorance. Start looking for a new career, i would never want you as my doctor.

awww....someone call the waaaaambulance!!
These basic sciences are too hard!!

The whole idea that basic sciences are of no use in studying medicine is so FOS that I'm not going to waste much time in responding, besides supporting others here who say that the basics are the building blocks for all the knowledge that is to come. Those who don't understand this and complain are usually those who are bombing one or several of these courses and are frustrated that this may keep them from becoming docs. Understandably so, it's a defense mechanism.

Aside from helping you learn future concepts, these courses also serve a purpose of weeding people out. Not fair? Well, too bad, that's how it works. You have to jump through the hoops like everyone else. Honestly if these classes are giving you so much trouble, then I don't see how you will survive years 1-2 of med school + usmle step 1. But who am I to judge?

Is anyone interested in knowledge for the sake of knowledge? There's no such thing as non-applied science. My (mis)conception maybe, is that physicians are life long students, learners? Not everything is just a hoop to jump through, and I don't feel bad you giving up and being weeded out so easily. Not everyone has what it takes to go into science and medicine.

Is anyone interested in knowledge for the sake of knowledge? There's no such thing as non-applied science. My (mis)conception maybe, is that physicians are life long students, learners? Not everything is just a hoop to jump through, and I don't feel bad you giving up and being weeded out so easily. Not everyone has what it takes to go into science and medicine.
ouch!

honestly, i think mcat and gpa are overrated in terms determining/predicting a "good med student" and later down the line, a "good doctor."

at the end of the day it's how much passion you have for what you want to do (plus your special skill sets and how they come into play at your job) and how much you are willing to sacrifice to get better and more knowledgeable than you were 24 hours prior.

This doesn't go away at the pre-med stage.

See: Why do med students study 24/7 if classes are Pass/Fail thread.

ouch!

honestly, i think mcat and gpa are overrated in terms determining/predicting a "good med student" and later down the line, a "good doctor."

at the end of the day it's how much passion you have for what you want to do (plus your special skill sets and how they come into play at your job) and how much you are willing to sacrifice to get better and more knowledgeable than you were 24 hours prior.

I don't think GPA is overrated, and this is coming from someone for whom that is a major weakness. I don't currently have the work ethic or the study skills to make it through med school, and it shows in my GPA. I don't know of anything else that I'd rather do, I love working in a hospital atmosphere and communicating with patients, but being willing to sacrifice things is very different from actually doing so.

I don't think GPA is overrated, and this is coming from someone for whom that is a major weakness. I don't currently have the work ethic or the study skills to make it through med school, and it shows in my GPA. I don't know of anything else that I'd rather do, I love working in a hospital atmosphere and communicating with patients, but being willing to sacrifice things is very different from actually doing so.
im sorry, i should be more clear. it's late (4am) so i jump a few points and skip to generalizations.

i think gpa correlates with a good work ethic. i agree there. and i think gpa is a better indicator of who will be great in the first two years of med school - and the best results may come from combining the two criteria.

i don't think stats correlate well with being a good med student (the student-doctor part. years 3 and 4 in the traditional curriculum. stats wont predict who will be great with all the intangibles and w/e else that comes with being great in the wards).

and from that i extrapolate the opinion that stats wont reliably tell you which premeds will become excellent clinicians and which will stink.

im sorry, i should be more clear. it's late (4am) so i jump a few points and skip to generalizations.

i think gpa correlates with a good work ethic. i agree there. and i think gpa is a better indicator of who will be great in the first two years of med school - and the best results may come from combining the two criteria.

i don't think stats correlate well with being a good med student (the student-doctor part. years 3 and 4 in the traditional curriculum. stats wont predict who will be great with all the intangibles and w/e else that comes with being great in the wards).

and from that i extrapolate the opinion that stats wont reliably tell you which premeds will become excellent clinicians and which will stink.

Obviously (despite my sub-par GPA, I think I've got a pretty solid bedside manner ;)), but given the nature of the thread I was approaching it in terms of undergraduate coursework performance and being accepted to med school period, not in terms of differing success among people who meet or exceed the standards for acceptance.

The most important skill to take from undergrad is the ability to analyze and think critically.

Strictly speaking, very few classes are totally irrelevant to medicine, I would think. If you take a foreign language, you will be able to ensure access to care to a wider population. If you take sociology or psychology, you will be able to understand how to alter social contexts to maximize public health or motivate individuals. If you take a comparative religions course, you can more easily understand patients who do not share your religious beliefs. Not even the humanities are irrelevant.

The basic sciences are like the base of a pyramid. When you take upper division courses like biochemistry, you'll notice how general chemistry and organic chemistry facilitate your understanding of it. Well, I hope nobody would argue that biochemistry is irrelevant to medicine.

Of course math is fundamental, and very necessary to understand Physics. Some parts of physics are going to be more relevant to medicine and certain specialties in medicine than others. For example, quantum physics is going to be more relevant to an oncologist (shadowing in highschool I noticed that oncology actually employed physicists to help with radiation treatment) and fluid dynamics is going to be more relevant to a cardiologist.

But beyond that, further advances in our ability to treat disease may ascend from multidisciplinary approaches drawing from multiple sciences. As medicine may affect other sciences such as with viral batteries.

That's just lame. You don't have to be a med student to know that the OP is way off. Credentials don't make somebody right or wrong.

Obviously (despite my sub-par GPA, I think I've got a pretty solid bedside manner ;)), but given the nature of the thread I was approaching it in terms of undergraduate coursework performance and being accepted to med school period, not in terms of differing success among people who meet or exceed the standards for acceptance.

mmm ....fried rice....

sorry, i have nothing meaningful to add to this discussion. i saw your user name and was reminded of how hungry i was and how satisfying a greasy bowl of fried rice would be.

ok... but did you see the quote i was responding to... by plasmidgreen. i was specifically responding to "...I don't feel bad you giving up and being weeded out so easily. Not everyone has what it takes to go into science and medicine." obviously not everyone should/can do medicine, but there are many different roles to play in science and medicine (even if we only consider medical specialties) and a few poor grades in physics or w/e doesnt mean you cant be a great clinician.

i feel as though stats are overrated in their predicting power.. and sometimes this leads us to be unjustifiably quick to judge and dismiss others.

mmm ....fried rice....

sorry, i have nothing meaningful to add to this discussion. i saw your user name and was reminded of how hungry i was and how satisfying a greasy bowl of fried rice would be.

Yeah it sounds nice now, but you'll just be hungry again in an hour.

i feel as though stats are overrated in their predicting power.. and sometimes this leads us to be unjustifiably quick to judge and dismiss others.

People on SDN? Judgemental and dismissive?! :eek: :laugh:

mmm ....fried rice....

Damn, now you're making me crave fried rice.

ok... but did you see the quote i was responding to... by plasmidgreen. i was specifically responding to "...I don't feel bad you giving up and being weeded out so easily. Not everyone has what it takes to go into science and medicine." obviously not everyone should/can do medicine, but there are many different roles to play in science and medicine (even if we only consider medical specialties) and a few poor grades in physics or w/e doesnt mean you cant be a great clinician.

I absolutely agree that a few poor grades doesn't mean that you can't be a great clinician; the catch is that in order to meet the GPA standard for med school acceptance (and by standard I mean within the range of acceptance), those poor grades have to be countered by marked improvement. Applicant stats may not be definitive in predicting how someone will perform in med school and beyond, but I don't know that there's a better means of predicting which prospective students of the vast applicant pool will be able to handle the rigors of medical training. To be fair to plasmidgreen, if someone is unwilling and/or unable to show that marked improvement, then I don't see how they can be expected to succeed on the next level.

ouch!

the doctor thing is debatable but the predictive power of gpa/mcat to being a good medical student is very well documented

Great job to whoever thought about this idea, you dumb ****s.

Not only do classes like Physics and Chemistry reflect absolutely NOTHING you will be learning in med school. But it's a complete waste of everyone's time and energy. I hope the person who thought that putting pre-med students through the tortures of undergrad classes died of a horrible cancer mixed with some sort of burning related death.

First of all, I love medicine, I love the interaction with patients and the satisfaction I see that doctors recieve when they successfully diagnose and treat patients.

But classes like Gen Chem and O Chem are SERIOUSLY discouraging and depressing me. I have made pretty much Bs in all my sciences courses. 2.62 GPA (After first year) And I studied HARD, but this stuff just sucks. I took classes like A&P which DO reflect med school and I made easy As, there's something wrong here. I have seen people quit right in front of me, saying they couldn't handle the damn classes.

Who agrees? Some people even try to justify that we will be using this in our career, the nerve.
Without reading anything beyond the first post in this thread, I have determined that the OP is either A) wrong, B) a troll, or C) a combination of A and B. Just because you can't handle the stresses of your undergraduate coursework doesn't mean it's the "dumbest thing ever." And, yes, like it or not, all these classes are beneficial to the study and practice of medicine

EDIT: Added the bold after reading the thread. I think we have a winner

Last edited:
I would say that, aside from being a pre-requisite for biochemistry, organic chemistry is probably the most useless pre-med class, with regard to how it relates to med school. Aside from some very loose connections to understanding structures and whatnot, I really can't think of any use for that **** in med school.

I got A's in both o-chems, and I did well in my MS1 year, and I wouldn't know an SN1 reaction if it bit me in the ass now.

Don't worry. There is a place where you can learn how the body works without knowing any of the chemistry or physics behind it.

sesamestreet.jpg

How does one understand an action potential in ANY cell without understanding oxidation/reduction, or what a concentration gradient is? How can one understand the sense of smell without understanding the organic reactions?

A&P is memorizing body parts and very, VERY basic ideas of physiology far below the level of medical school education. I find it mildly amusing that the OP decides to see this fairly easy coursework as actually more useful to medical school preparation than organic chemistry, when in the end, memorizing body parts is probably on the bottom scale of difficulty ranking medical school material.

I would imagine that the OP has a serious misunderstanding of the difficulty of medical school, especially considering that he seems to have the delusion that he "understands" what is useful and what is not without actually having even been accepted yet.

If you can't hack organic chemistry, then medical school is going to be enormously difficult. I think it's time to really think about what coursework is going to be like in medical school. For instance, many medical schools have biochemistry constantly for the first TWO YEARS. If you don't have a strong grasp of organic chemistry, you will get steamrolled here.

I am not saying that the specifics of any physics or organic class is what is important. But the concepts and basic foundations will be important, even if you don't know that you're drawing on those skills. For instance, you may not remember how to do long division, but if you didn't understand the concept of division with numbers that don't fit perfectly into each other, you really wouldn't be capable of doing algebra (which I'm assuming you passed).

I would say that, aside from being a pre-requisite for biochemistry, organic chemistry is probably the most useless pre-med class, with regard to how it relates to med school. Aside from some very loose connections to understanding structures and whatnot, I really can't think of any use for that **** in med school.

I got A's in both o-chems, and I did well in my MS1 year, and I wouldn't know an SN1 reaction if it bit me in the ass now.
I don't understand why orgo is a prereq for biochem though. The only bit from orgo that I used in biochem was electron pushing and that doesn't require a semester to learn.

I thought it was only SN2 that gets you from behind?