Pre-med Courses Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raychacha22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pre-med advisor told me that I cannot fufill any pre-med requirements outside of the US..therefore if I go abroad I can't take any of those courses while I'm there. However, friends from other schools have told me that their advisor says medical schools will accept courses from England and possibly a few other places. I would like to go abroad to Oxford or Cambridge for just one semester and am wondering if I can take a couple pre-med reqs while I'm there...and if not, how do most pre-med kids deal with going abroad?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure, but I think your best bet would be to call a few admissions offices and see what they think. You should be able to get ahold of and admissions director pretty easily. Just go to your state school's website and find a number, and maybe call another school or two you'd really want to apply to.

I think it will be easier to take "less-important" prereqs abroad. For example, some schools require so many non-science or English/writing classes. It seems they should accept English courses from England. You should be ok with philosophy, anthropology, psychology, sociology, etc. courses as well. It's bio, chem, physics, and maybe math that you'll have to worry about.