Pre-med Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamieadam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok... I am now at the tail end of my first semester of my sophomore year. (I can't wait to transfer to Nazareth College for my Bachelors in Biochemistry!! :)) Up until this point, I have been doing very well: Freshman year- first semester a 3.6, and last semester a 4.0. I've gotten A's in all of my pre-recs (Bio 1, Chem 1, Precalc, etc...) but, this semester is looking a bit lower w/ more B's than A's, and possibly a C :( . I need some advice.... I have worked extremely hard this semester in my Bio 2 class, but the best I can do is a B (the professor sucks)!! How does that look to med school? Also, I haven't been applying myself so hard in my "fluff" courses, for example history:sleep: . I seem to not care, is that common and are they really that important to do really well in? I need some input here.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok... I am now at the tail end of my first semester of my sophomore year. (I can't wait to transfer to Nazareth College for my Bachelors in Biochemistry!! :)) Up until this point, I have been doing very well: Freshman year- first semester a 3.6, and last semester a 4.0. I've gotten A's in all of my pre-recs (Bio 1, Chem 1, Precalc, etc...) but, this semester is looking a bit lower w/ more B's than A's, and possibly a C :( . I need some advice.... I have worked extremely hard this semester in my Bio 2 class, but the best I can do is a B (the professor sucks)!! How does that look to med school? Also, I haven't been applying myself so hard in my "fluff" courses, for example history:sleep: . I seem to not care, is that common and are they really that important to do really well in? I need some input here.

The "fluff" classes are how you get an A cumulative GPA. Your pre-requisites are far more important, but you should work the system and get the best GPA possible overall. Try to get As or Bs in all of your classes. More As than Bs and you will have a good GPA. As for bio II. It's a useless class at most universities. Intro Bio I is far more important for the MCAT and for medicine. It is a pre-req, so it's important to do as well as possible.

Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry and other higher level sciences are more important as far as "looking good" than the other basic sciences.

Getting a B or even C in Biology wont sink you, but doing poorly on the MCAT will. concentrate on the MCAT and getting top grades in the bigger sciences

good luck

The "fluff" classes are how you get an A cumulative GPA. Your pre-requisites are far more important, but you should work the system and get the best GPA possible overall. Try to get As or Bs in all of your classes. More As than Bs and you will have a good GPA. As for bio II. It's a useless class at most universities. Intro Bio I is far more important for the MCAT and for medicine. It is a pre-req, so it's important to do as well as possible.

when they say take one year of bio with a lab, can you take intro the bio and bio I to satisfy prereqs, or does it have to be bio I and bio II?