Pre-med curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toledoespana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I will be graduating this May from a top-20 university with a degree in Spanish. I want to enroll in med school in the fall of 2008, but I am not sure as to the strength of my application.

I have only taken the core science classes (gen chem, o chem, bio, physics). My GPA in those classes is about a 3.1, my spanish GPA is about 3.6. I am taking the MCAT in May. Next year I am doing service in the Carribean (I am fluent in spanish, I studied abroad in Spain for a year).

Do I need to take science electives this summer if I want serious consideration from med schools? Problem is that I don't graduate til late May and my job in the Carribean starts in mid-August. Taking biochem or physio may be impossible. Does this put the axe on my application?

Any advice and insight is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your science GPA is a little low, and doing some upper level science classes would help this if you got a As, especially if you haven't taken that many science classes. I would say that the most important thing is to make sure that you meet the science pre-req requirements at the schools you want to apply to - specifically a good number of schools require upper level bio courses and/or biochemistry. Check out the MSAR and make sure you have the requirements before you apply.

OncDoc19, thanks for the information. What med school guide do you recommend? I've heard of the MSAR and I'm going to order it. Do you know anything about the SDN guide? I definitely need to check the pre-reqs for the specific schools I want to apply to. I noticed that a lot of schools "strongly suggest" applicants take upper level courses. Should this be interpreted as "must, if you want to be seriously considered"?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
OncDoc19, thanks for the information. What med school guide do you recommend? I've heard of the MSAR and I'm going to order it. Do you know anything about the SDN guide? I definitely need to check the pre-reqs for the specific schools I want to apply to. I noticed that a lot of schools "strongly suggest" applicants take upper level courses. Should this be interpreted as "must, if you want to be seriously considered"?

Thanks again

I don't think it needs to be interpreted as "must" in light of your major, but it is important to demonstrate that you can handle rigorous science coursework by raising your GPA and doing well on the science sections of the MCAT.

I don't think it needs to be interpreted as "must" in light of your major, but it is important to demonstrate that you can handle rigorous science coursework by raising your GPA and doing well on the science sections of the MCAT.

Agreed. I'd be less worried about the courses (you can absolutely get into med school with solely the prereqs, as many nonsci students can tell you firsthand), and more concerned with the low BCPM. You may want to spend a little time taking more science for A's.

specifically a good number of schools require upper level bio courses and/or biochemistry.

A relatively small minority of schools require biochem. I'm not sure I know of any schools requiring other "upper level bio courses" specifically. The prereqs are fine as long as the BCPM/GPA/MCAT is.