Pre-med delaying graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preMedFalcon

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Having been a chemistry major during my first 2 years in college, I decided to change it to computer science during the Fall 2020 semester (during my junior year). Because I have not yet completed all of the pre-med courses, this change will make it impossible to complete all of my requirements for graduation by the end of my senior year (since the pre-med courses and my major requirements will no longer overlap). This is also due to me having to take extra courses for a combined BA/BS program I am pursuing, and also to complete the remaining general education requirements of the college. The COVID pandemic has also resulted in a limited selection of courses available for the Spring 2021 semester, which will only add to the courses I still have left to complete. I anticipate the delay being only 1 year, but could possibly be extended an extra semester, meaning I will have spent a total of 5 or 5 1/2 years getting my BA (afterwards I will be transferring to another college for my BS for an extra 2 years).

I know medical schools do not hold it against you if you spent more than 4 years getting your bachelor's, but I would be interested to know if anyone else also had to delay their graduation for any reason(s), and if they explained it in their application and/or were questioned about it during their interviews. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Having been a chemistry major during my first 2 years in college, I decided to change it to computer science during the Fall 2020 semester (during my junior year). Because I have not yet completed all of the pre-med courses, this change will make it impossible to complete all of my requirements for graduation by the end of my senior year (since the pre-med courses and my major requirements will no longer overlap). This is also due to me having to take extra courses for a combined BA/BS program I am pursuing, and also to complete the remaining general education requirements of the college. The COVID pandemic has also resulted in a limited selection of courses available for the Spring 2021 semester, which will only add to the courses I still have left to complete. I anticipate the delay being only 1 year, but could possibly be extended an extra semester, meaning I will have spent a total of 5 or 5 1/2 years getting my BA (afterwards I will be transferring to another college for my BS for an extra 2 years).

I know medical schools do not hold it against you if you spent more than 4 years getting your bachelor's, but I would be interested to know if anyone else also had to delay their graduation for any reason(s), and if they explained it in their application and/or were questioned about it during their interviews. Thank you in advance.
It's all about how you present it. People don't usually say "I delayed my graduation;" they say, "I took a gap year(s)" or something like that.

If you are gung-ho on becoming a doctor, it might be easier to change your major back to chemistry & finish the pre-reqs. There are several vocational schools for computer programming if you changed your major as a back-up plan, but I digress.

Good luck!

I dont remember a single prompt that asked about it. No one will question you, especially in these times.

Members don't see this ad :)
High school dropout that took longer than 4 years to graduate here. Have never been asked about it.

As long as your GPA is good, they won’t care.

Reactions: 1 users