Pre-med Has made me antisocial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pasta_water1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Not sure if I'm in the right forum. I'm currently a freshman at SBU and a math major on the premed track (calc 1, chem 1 + Lab, English 1). So, in 4 weeks, I feel like I've become drastically more antisocial. I eat alone, study alone, and since my roommate is non existent, I sleep alone. And i feel like I have no time to even eat with someone else. The oddest thing is it's not that I find the course load difficult as I've taken AP Calc and AP Chem before but the shear homework ( online reading assignments, Aleks/ web assign, pre labs, post lab questions ) involved has literally alienated me for the rest of the world. So,is this all normal? Is this what being a pre-Med is? Or am I just taking on too much with a math and pre med major? Don't get me wrong, I can't see myself doing anything else besides medicine (I loved shadowing this anesthesiologist and I also enjoyed my EMT-B rotations) and it's not that I'm doing terrible in my classes ( actually I'm all A's so far), but I'm unhappy. Thanks for all the responses. I know I sound like I'm whining but I'm not sure who to ask besides other premeds.

Members don't see this ad.

Dial it down a notch and make an effort to hang out with friends. Do things other than school.

Reactions: 1 user
Those three classes together are what... 10-12 credits?

If so, your situation -probably- speaks to very poor study habits. You should have plenty of time to volunteer and go out, with that schedule. Visit your school's counselling center -or whatever it's called- to get tips on how to improve your time efficiency skills.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@doud
Those three classes together are what... 10-12 credits?

If so, your situation -probably- speaks to very poor study habits. You should have plenty of time to volunteer and go out, with that schedule. Visit your school's counselling center -or whatever it's called- to get tips on how to improve your time efficiency skills.
line

I'm taking 17 credits
Applied Calc 1 - 4 credits
Gen Chem 1- 3 credits
Chem Lab- 1 credit
Chem recitation- 1 credit
Linear Alegbra- 3 credit
Calc Recitation - 1 credit
Intro to Writing- 3 Credit
Freshman Seminar - 1 Credit

This has nothing to do with being "pre-med", this is just you adjusting to university. Some people have to work harder than others, hopefully you'll be able to find a balance.

Reactions: 5 users
@doud

line

I'm taking 17 credits
Applied Calc 1 - 4 credits
Gen Chem 1- 3 credits
Chem Lab- 1 credit
Chem recitation- 1 credit
Linear Alegbra- 3 credit
Calc Recitation - 1 credit
Intro to Writing- 3 Credit
Freshman Seminar - 1 Credit

Why didn't you say so! :p

It's a big -though realistic- course load for a freshman - I know, I had the same one (replace chem by bio)!
As person above said, you need to adjust to college like everyone. Navigate this semester keeping in mind that your grades come first, and if the time demand/difficulty hasn't decreased by the next semester, ask for help.

Also protip, you don't really have to do ALL the readings in ALL your classes.

Reactions: 6 users
Is the problem you *perceive* that you have no time to go out and make friends? Or is it that you already have a group of friends, but you don't feel like you have time to hang out with them?

Take it a bit easier next semester/quarter if you can, meet with teachers/learning office and figure out more effective ways to study until you get used to the college workload. Find a study group (official or unofficial) for some of your classes and get out there and join clubs/etc and meet people. Undergrad (as well as med school) shouldn't be something where you feel like you don't have the time, and aren't able to find and spend time with a good group of friends. You need to be able to relax and destress with friends in order to keep up the studying and to do well. It can be tough adjusting to college workload and trying to find a good group of friends in the beginning, but you have to really put yourself out there to meet people and find a tight group. Best of luck.

I don't know if you prefer to study alone, but I found studying with other people to be a really easy way to fit in time with friends while getting some work done. I met two of my closest friends in my General Chemistry class while doing and complaining about ALEKS together every week. They've been with me through Chem, Orgo, and now Biochem, and it's been a huge boon for me having people to test me/drive me to study when I want to laze around, watch Netflix and eat cheese balls.

Don't be afraid to approach people taking the same course as you. People are generally pretty receptive to other people that initiate a conversation, especially freshmen. Go to all your recitations since it's easier to do this in a smaller group as opposed to your lecture.

You can definitely have a social life while doing pre-med and math, but it's far easier to do if you "combine" things that you need to do. Study together with friends, read during the downtime of your volunteering/work, eat with a group of people, stuff like that. It's on you to make the effort to be social.

Reactions: 1 users
Your first year is probably the one that sets the tone socially for your entire 4 years, the people you meet and become friends with may be your 2nd-4th year roommates and lifelong friends, don't squander it by being cooped up in a library.

I don't know if you prefer to study alone, but I found studying with other people to be a really easy way to fit in time with friends while getting some work done. I met two of my closest friends in my General Chemistry class while doing and complaining about ALEKS together every week. They've been with me through Chem, Orgo, and now Biochem, and it's been a huge boon for me having people to test me/drive me to study when I want to laze around, watch Netflix and eat cheese balls.

Don't be afraid to approach people taking the same course as you. People are generally pretty receptive to other people that initiate a conversation, especially freshmen. Go to all your recitations since it's easier to do this in a smaller group as opposed to your lecture.

You can definitely have a social life while doing pre-med and math, but it's far easier to do if you "combine" things that you need to do. Study together with friends, read during the downtime of your volunteering/work, eat with a group of people, stuff like that. It's on you to make the effort to be social.
Definitely this! Although that's why most of my friends are premed/bio lol

Definitely. I've tried reading every assigned chapter before, it takes a ridiculous amount of time. Work smarter not harder. Some classes you need to read, other classes (read: most classes) you just need to know the main points from lecture.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried reading every assigned chapter before, it takes a ridiculous amount of time. Work hard smarter not harder. Some classes you need to read, other classes you just need to know the main points from lecture.
people do the readings?

people do the readings?
Haha, so far it's really only been necessary for two upper level courses I'm in. One because the professor is horrible, and the other because there's only two people in the class, so the professor expects us to be able to intelligently talk about the readings

Study/do coursework with people from your classes. Get a group together to all go to the library/coffee shop/study room together and study separately, but take breaks together to chat etc.

Hi,
Not sure if I'm in the right forum. I'm currently a freshman at SBU and a math major on the premed track (calc 1, chem 1 + Lab, English 1). So, in 4 weeks, I feel like I've become drastically more antisocial. I eat alone, study alone, and since my roommate is non existent, I sleep alone. And i feel like I have no time to even eat with someone else. The oddest thing is it's not that I find the course load difficult as I've taken AP Calc and AP Chem before but the shear homework ( online reading assignments, Aleks/ web assign, pre labs, post lab questions ) involved has literally alienated me for the rest of the world. So,is this all normal? Is this what being a pre-Med is? Or am I just taking on too much with a math and pre med major? Don't get me wrong, I can't see myself doing anything else besides medicine (I loved shadowing this anesthesiologist and I also enjoyed my EMT-B rotations) and it's not that I'm doing terrible in my classes ( actually I'm all A's so far), but I'm unhappy. Thanks for all the responses. I know I sound like I'm whining but I'm not sure who to ask besides other premeds.

Oh trust me. It gets worse. You're actually doing well in your classes right now and generally seem to have **** locked down. So what happens on the day when you fail a major exam, get dumped by your long-time gf, get a speeding ticket (which you were doing because of the last two things), get yelled at by your boss (if independent) for f*cking something up (because your mind is on the last three things) or yelled at by your parents for failing the exam (if not independent), and then to top it off your rent is late and you come home to an eviction notice (or parents kick you out for not satisfying expectations)?

I'm just saying, **** can and (take note of this, seriously) will get a lot worse for you. Way way worse. So having to deal with minimal oxytocin/serotonin levels isn't the end of the world. You and a lot of others are unhappy right now.

Only the pursuit was guaranteed.

By this he means don't even buy the textbook and go off lecture notes/ppts. This is not even a joke. The only thing I've used a textbook for was ochem.

Don't be afraid to drop a course to help you adjust, even if it leaves a W. I'm not sure how you're doing, but you don't want to start out with like a 2.9 your first semester.

Hit up the dating apps. Make yourself a Tinder or Okcupid and make it a priority to go on a date every once in a while. Make a coffee date during the middle of the day or something. Just setting appointments to do something social will help you become more efficient with your studying and your time. At the very least, you'll develop better social skills. At the most, you could find yourself a great study partner

Last edited:
Please don't refer to yourself as "antisocial" when you mean "asocial".

You're having a little trouble adjusting. Good advice in this thread. I recommend taking some to heart.

The key to this post: "...I'm a freshman..."

Everyone sucks as a freshman, it's a way of life. Keep studying and you'll learn how to be more efficient with your time.

if you dont have a "i cant believe we didnt get arrested" story by the time you graduate, you did it wrong...

Please don't refer to yourself as "antisocial" when you mean "asocial".

You're having a little trouble adjusting. Good advice in this thread. I recommend taking some to heart.
+1

Hit up the dating apps. Make yourself a Tinder or Okcupid and make it a priority to go on a date every once in a while. Make a coffee date during the middle of the day or something. Just setting appointments to do something social will help you become more efficient with your studying and your time. At the very least, you'll develop better social skills. At the most, you could find yourself a great study partner with a hot bod.
Wear a rubber. Or make sure he does though. Actually, just don't have sex..

You do all your homework? :/ even the ones that aren't graded and probably not tested on?

Best thing I learned in undergrad - only do what is needed, only study what is tested. Afterall, I had no intention of pursuing my actual major so no point.