pre-med in grad school in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naturallyneha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had my entire education upto a Bachelor of Engineering in India, and now am doing my M.S in Biomedical engineering in the USA (2nd sem here). In my 1st sem in the US, I decided that I wanted to do an M.D./Ph.D in a US medical school. Which means that I have started out with the pre-med requisites now, and will take my MCAT in April 2007, and hopefully matriculate fall 2008. I just wanted to know if there is anyone else in my situation, or at least someone who has any advice for me...anything goes..i am all ears:)
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you seem to have it all figured out. Having done your engineering in India, I m pretty sure you have a nice foundation of what it requires to get the grades. Just do your thing and things will work out as you planned em to be! You ll have a nice personal statement to write about. Your experince with engineering in India. Pre think about why you decided to switch to medicine, what motivated you, etc. MD/Phd is an excellent program. they would definitely like to see you have a vast research experience. evenn if you can get yourself into an engineering research internship/experience taht would be awesome. They really try to make sure, that you're a research person. Out of that, if you manage to get publications, thats like an extra brownie point and makes you a stronger applicant.

Without a hesitation, do go to the premed clubs at your school, they are a good source of information and they give you heads up on whats to be lined up next. You ll do fine!!!!
Good Luck!
Feel free to shoot me with questions !

priyanka said:
I honestly think you seem to have it all figured out. Having done your engineering in India, I m pretty sure you have a nice foundation of what it requires to get the grades. Just do your thing and things will work out as you planned em to be! You ll have a nice personal statement to write about. Your experince with engineering in India. Pre think about why you decided to switch to medicine, what motivated you, etc. MD/Phd is an excellent program. they would definitely like to see you have a vast research experience. evenn if you can get yourself into an engineering research internship/experience taht would be awesome. They really try to make sure, that you're a research person. Out of that, if you manage to get publications, thats like an extra brownie point and makes you a stronger applicant.

Without a hesitation, do go to the premed clubs at your school, they are a good source of information and they give you heads up on whats to be lined up next. You ll do fine!!!!
Good Luck!
Feel free to shoot me with questions !

Thanks a ton Priyanka!After having done organic chem in junior college in India, I have no trouble getting the grades in o-chem here as a grad student alright..you are right about that..the grades will not be a problem, hopefully. I do have a very unique story about why i want to switch..in fact, i had gotten admission into med school right after junior college into Grant medical college (JJ hospital) in Mumbai, but at that point of time, I couldnt care less about it, and chose to do engineering instead!By the time I apply for the M.D./Ph.D., i'll have at least 2 yrs of research exp, and at least 2 papers out (fingers crossed!). The pre-med clubs thing was not on my radar though, but thanks for bringing that to my attention..I'll definitely join one of those on campus:). Your post has been very encouraging and reassures me that I am on the right track!God bless you:)

Members don't see this ad :)
naturallyneha said:
Thanks a ton Priyanka!After having done organic chem in junior college in India, I have no trouble getting the grades in o-chem here as a grad student alright..you are right about that..the grades will not be a problem, hopefully. I do have a very unique story about why i want to switch..in fact, i had gotten admission into med school right after junior college into Grant medical college (JJ hospital) in Mumbai, but at that point of time, I couldnt care less about it, and chose to do engineering instead!By the time I apply for the M.D./Ph.D., i'll have at least 2 yrs of research exp, and at least 2 papers out (fingers crossed!). The pre-med clubs thing was not on my radar though, but thanks for bringing that to my attention..I'll definitely join one of those on campus:). Your post has been very encouraging and reassures me that I am on the right track!God bless you:)

Aww you're welcome sweety! Wow congratulations on your upcoming publications. And you're in very good shape so Good Luck!

naturallyneha said:
in fact, i had gotten admission into med school right after junior college into Grant medical college (JJ hospital) in Mumbai, but at that point of time, I couldnt care less about it, and chose to do engineering instead!

you sure missed a golden opportunity! btw which academic year did you apply for?

*TRINITY* said:
you sure missed a golden opportunity! btw which academic year did you apply for?

you know what, the best part is..i don't think so! Not to say that JJ is not a great school to learn in, but it was not the right time for me..I seriously dont regret my decision...i got in jj in 2001

*TRINITY* said:

GMC and golden??????? surely your joking :laugh: