miniman

No mountain too high to climb.
2+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2015
Mars, Solar System Near You
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok, so I am going to finish my AS next semester, and I will be 18 when I do so. (I was duel enrolled, Career College Promise, what ever you like to call it!) To be honest I am tired of all the busy work that college brings, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea if I would complete my Bio-Chem/ Pre-Med BS in one year. I would be starting in the fall of 2017 at a university, and would finish the next year ('18) that fall. I figured that I would be taking 15 credit hours on average per semester (including fall). Right now I am taking that many and next semester I will be taking 2o. I find 15 still easy, my GPA shows that (3.76-- I plan on really cracking down this semester and bump it up even more, I want to graduate with a gpa above 3.85. Up until this time I was kinda passive about my classes, and I just did enough to get A's and B's (no C's!).) My biggest concern with doing my BS in one year is that I would be applying at 19 and actually going to the school at 20. I have heard of this being done, but I don't know how schools would deal with that. I would also ensure some debt doing it this way. I could however do it in two years, not endure any debt and apply at 20, and start at 21, (not so bad of a difference). However, if I do it in one year I have the added benefit of starting my career early, thus increasing my time in the field by a few years.

I would like some feedback on which way you think is best, and why. (I will be scheduling a visit with my advisor soon, but would like to hear what you guys have to say.)

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Not sure I follow you. You'd finish fall semester of 2018? Wouldn't you have to wait until fall of 2019 or do you mean starting med school in fall of 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 26, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Sounds like you already have a good idea of the undergraduate courseload, and you've proven yourself to be capable of handling it. When it comes time for applications, a 20-year old will definitely stand out in the crowd, and you're sure to get noticed by adcoms!

Go for it

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You'll have all your pre-reqs done? When will you take the MCAT?

I wouldn't do it in 1 year. Enjoy college and mature a little more before jumping into med school. It's doable, and I highly doubt you'd be discriminated against due to your age (someone in my graduating class entered at 19), but just from a more personal standpoint, I couldn't imagine starting med school at that age. It was hard enough starting at 22 and later wishing I had done a gap year or two.

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
Applying at 20 your maturity will be called into question, even if you are as mature as successful 22 year old applicants you may not be viewed in the same light. Little things can stick out because of your age and might be seen as immaturity

Aug 26, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
I skipped a year. Based on that experience I would recommend you take the MCAT the same time as others you'd be starting with would. I just turned 21 when I started but unless I told people no one knew. Except that I used to look young and once a patient during a rotation asked my age. Thirty years and five kids later I yearn for those days. Now people think my mother is my sister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
miniman

miniman

2+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok, thanks for the great responses guys, I would be finishing in the fall 2018, thus I would be entering medical school in the year of '19. I have plans on taking my MCAT in the spring of 18, the same year I will be applying. But that would give me time to take both Organic Chem classes done. something I can't do at my CC. I figured that this would be ok as I would already be a non-trad student.
Thanks again!

May 12, 2017
You dual enrolled in cc? Just wondering but are you aware that your cc grades will be factored in to your gpa? Could be good if it's a decent gpa...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
How much of the following would you have post your High School graduation?
Clinical Volunteering
Non Clinical Community Service
Physician Shadowing
Leadership Roles
Exposure to Research
Other Extra Curricular Activities

You appear to have academic metrics well underway. That is less than half of what is necessary to be a competitive candidate for medical school
see charts in links below which are from surveys of the medical school themselves

https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf#page=7
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

** https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/2017mcatguide.pdf#page=9
See page 4 (pdf page 9) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, Demographic, and Interview Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants Receive Interview Invitations and Acceptance Offers (N=130)

OP
miniman

miniman

2+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You dual enrolled in cc? Just wondering but are you aware that your cc grades will be factored in to your gpa? Could be good if it's a decent gpa...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'd say 3.76 is decent.

OP
miniman

miniman

2+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
How much of the following would you have post your High School graduation?
Clinical Volunteering
Non Clinical Community Service
Physician Shadowing
Leadership Roles
Exposure to Research
Other Extra Curricular Activities

You appear to have academic metrics well underway. That is less than half of what is necessary to be a competitive candidate for medical school
see charts in links below which are from surveys of the medical school themselves

https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf#page=7
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

** https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/2017mcatguide.pdf#page=9
See page 4 (pdf page 9) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, Demographic, and Interview Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants Receive Interview Invitations and Acceptance Offers (N=130)
Yeah this premed in a year is out the window right now. I just want to chill a semester a go at a good pace. I plan of focusing on the areas you mentioned. Thanks!

Reactions: Turkishking