MPH Pre-med interested in research - MPH options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teenyfish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-med, working in my gap years (will be 3 total) as a clinical research coordinator. I work at one of the large institutions there with their own school of public health, and can take classes tuition free part-time. I am planning on applying to medical school next year (2018 - 2019) but would like to work on some classes towards an MPH now while I have funding and time. I currently work with underserved populations, and enjoy the work and would like to gain skills in order to hopefully implement research and public health into my future career.

What I'd like to know is - can the courses I take (as a non-degree student) at their school of public health be transferable towards a MPH at another institution in the future? I'd love to get some free classes under my belt that could help me in my work, but would like to be able to use them towards the degree in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on the institution you eventually end up with for the MPH/MD and what courses you take. I think most schools would accept credits for the basic core courses-- intro epi, biostat, etc.-- but it may get dicier when you get to electives. In my experience transferring coursework for other degrees, make sure you save the syllabus and your final and take the course for a letter grade rather than pass/fail or audit.

Thanks! Would there be a time limit as to how long those courses would count or does that also vary by institution? Do you think it would be worth applying for the MPH and completing on a part time basis over the next 2 years? I'd have about 3-4 credits that I'd end up having to pay out of pocket for, which would be 15-20k potentially.