Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pre-med is hard

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by swoop, Oct 31, 2002.

1. swoop

swoop Member
    7+ Year Member

I have decided that pre-med is hard, and organic chemistry is not one of the easy classes. By the way what is a decent grade in orgo?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

yo, you aint lying. I am taking Organic and I just took a test yesterday, whoop it was hard. But I will find out today.:rolleyes: However, premed is meant not to be easy then everyone will be doing it. Pre med classes are sometimes meant to be weed out classes especially organic chemistry.

4. heelshmeel

heelshmeel Tar Heel Bred
    7+ Year Member

Well... if an A is the best you can get... than "decent" would have to be a B/B+, right??

5. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thank you, captain obvious :laugh:

6. bella_dottoressa

bella_dottoressa make it happen
    7+ Year Member

Yes, it is so damn hard. And I'm stressing myself out over it. I'm taking Calculus II and I hate it. I think I'm going to be lucky to pass it. If I get a C-, is that ok? I think I can get A's every place else. If I get a D and I do the whole "freshmen forgiveness" thing would that be ok? Would that be better or withdrawing and retaking it? I'm pretty sure I could get a good grade the second time around since everything is easier the second time around, especially math. Would that be worse than a C-? Thanks in advance for the advice!

7. MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member

The pre-med program can be tough. I feel you guys so much. We just got to hang in there and fight our way through sucessfully. If medicine is really your goal then your destiny is to stick in there through thick and through thin.:cool:

8. MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member

It's not meant for us to become doctors/surgeons by going through easy street.:)

9. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "Pre-med is hard"

Post of the year :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    there goes my chance for post of the year.

11. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This thread may go into the SDN Hall of Fame. Right next to the "penis bone" thread.:laugh:

12. pre-med is meant to be hard, but it isnt the hardest major so go figure! :rolleyes:

and using the freshman forgiveness might come back to bite u in the butt, just try hard in all ur years at college, u should have no excuses except maybe for unseen or unusual circumstances ( not including getting 'wasted' and the likes of it)

i got B- and B in my organic classes, i am pretty sure people have done worse than me and gotten into med school.

13. Lebesgue

Lebesgue Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bear in mind, pre-med isn't as hard as med (so I've heard ;)).

Also, don't try to be a superhero and take too many classes while your working full time or something like that. I tried it once, and suffered badly.

Make sure you have enough time to do well in your classes. I've heard schools look at patterns of retakes and withdrawls as a negative trait.

Get a tutor and kick butt in the Calc II! Good luck! :clap:

14. swing

swing Member
    7+ Year Member

Guys, I'm NOT trying to be discouraging here, but in med school you will have twice (Yes, twice!) the volume of work you have as a full-time undergrad! And, you will still have to perform at the A grade level, even at schools using the Pass/Fail system.

The good news is that med school isn't harder, just twice the volume and detail in the same amount of time. I took a 10 week summer Biochem course the summer before med school. We covered all that material in med school biochem in 4 weeks.

Organic chem is somewhat indicative of med school courses - lot's of details and volume, like trying to remeber every step of some reaction or devising a route for a synthesis. That's why med schools look at this course, because it involves lots of memorization of highly-detailed processes.

OK, so how do you prepare best for med school? My perspective is that of a second year, and here's what I wish I'd done:
    Take lots of med school- type classes as an undergrad - Micro, Physio, Cell Bio, Histo, Anatomy, Biochem. This will make first year easier, and give you a better base for second year.

Lot's of people may argue with this, but believe me, it will make your life easier!

15. DW

Medical Student
    "pubic bone", caffeinated. get it right +pissed+

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. whyadoctor?

whyadoctor? Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

try CIS or engineering. pre-med is easy.

17. MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member

My take is if you are premed you have to be competent, exceptionally smart and distinguished with the right mentality all while being a "normal" human being.:)

18. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

I agree, "pre-med" has never been easy. But if you have a positive attuide towards a class, I find that u will do much better. I was terrified of orgo, and I absolutely love it :love: Call me weird, but I think that it's a cool class. Now, physics on the other hand is yuck, and I don't see the relevance at all.:mad:

Hang in there

19. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought it was the pubocockus bone or something like that... ;)

20. and don't forget that you have to do all this while having a good day the first time you take the MCAT, having a wonderful college sweetheart in another profession (never a fellow pre-med, this is a recipe for disaster obviously) who will support you perfectly no matter what, and being perfectly prepared above all to explain any potential flaws in your application, no matter how minute, at interviews. And you must have a regular and fun exercise routine.

now go study and stop whining, pre-med isn't that hard!

now, now, before you go ballistic responding to this I am being totally sarcastic except for the parts where I sympathize about the pressures placed on med students and pre-meds to be super humans. All too true, I'm afraid. And as someone who attends a H/P/F school (for the first 2 years anyway), I can tell you that a decent number of schools don't rank students for the first 2 years and that the Pass bar in my class has NEVER been set higher than 65%, even when the class average at the end of the course (Mol. Bio e.g.) was in the 90's. Yes, you need to work hard to pass, especially in Anatomy, Pharm, and Neuroscience, but med school gets better with time.

And for the super-sensitive, I do NOT think there's anything wrong with being studious or exercising regularly or having a good relationship; just poking a little fun. I actually am big into exercise and have decent study habits myself..

21. DW

Medical Student
    i think pubocockus is the technical term you'll find in gray's anatomy and other respected medical texts, but pubic bone is the common term :)