Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Ever been in a healthcare situation where you simply couldn't stifle your laughs? I'd love to hear them...post away!

I got this idea because at the current moment, it is 4:43pm and I have a Human Sexuality(elective class...) exam coming up at 7:00pm. We have a chapter on sexual disorders in our book, and one of the conditions is sleep sex:

Sleep sex --> Recently discovered by researchers, known as people committing sexual acts in their sleep. Sleep sex can involve a person either making sexual sounds, engaging in violent masturbation(this is where I burst out laughing, and am laughing as I write this post...the image just popped into my head and well...it won't go away. I can't stop laughing AAAHH!!), or making unwanted violent sexual advances on his or her partner.

Alright that might not have been too funny but still, post away or let this post dwindle to the bottom of the page and disappear for all eternity! Weee!

Pretty POHA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2005
Lakewood, CO
www.perilouslyprecocious.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Turkeyman said:
Sleep sex --> Recently discovered by researchers, known as people committing sexual acts in their sleep. Sleep sex can involve a person either making sexual sounds, engaging in violent masturbation(this is where I burst out laughing, and am laughing as I write this post...the image just popped into my head and well...it won't go away. I can't stop laughing AAAHH!!), or making unwanted violent sexual advances on his or her partner.
Well, I don't know about other situations, but I had a boyfriend that had that "disturbance".
It was veeeeery interesting.

Imagine waking up in the middle of an "episode" and you're like, hey, wait, uh, what, um, hello? What was going on here?

Wertt

blinking at brains
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
Status
That's pretty funny, and possibly the best sleep disorder to have.

I was shadowing an ER doc who was dealing with a large pus filled cyst under the skin of a woman's shoulder. She was talking away about how she owned a restaurant and it was very successful etc. etc. when he squeezed the cyst and a stream of pus arced out and across the bed to land at my feet. I spontaneously yelled "Hello!" in surprise, and everyone started laughing for some reason. It was great.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
just contained a laugh once when i was a pre-med. guy still noticed the grimace on my face and yelled at me for not believing his story. Anyway, he's post-op for a stab wounda nd came back to the ER for it getting infected or something. the person who first saw him taht day told me and another volunteer the story, that a prostitute stabbed the old guy when he tried to stiff her or something. The guy claimed that he was just coming out of a bank and minding his own business at 4 in the morning when someone stabbed him and took his money. when he repeated the story to the doc when i was around, that's when i almost cracked a smile.

banana k

registered user of WHAT?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Australia
Status
only tangentially medical but nonetheless...

i had a zoology prof who had a certain way of saying things--maybe it was that he sounded like john cleese or maybe he reminded me of myself in the goofy exploits he seemed to get himself into. anyway, he was one of those inherently comical people who just couldn't seem to help it. so while i a grad student and he was my coordinator, i stopped him one day on campus to ask a question and noticed he had a big red scratch on his nose. i asked him why, and he explained, "i've been out tagging possums all night in the rainforest and i've now got scrub itch [icky tiny australian chigger-like bugs that dig into your skin] all over my body. so i was picking them off, one by one, in the mirror with a pair of tweezers... when my son startled me so much that i turned around really fast and scratched myself on the nose with the tweezers."

so later that day i ran into him in the hall outside my office and he started a very serious and intrigued discussion about my data--he was very interested in how to construct a certain graph. and in explaining this graph to me, he kept backing me into this corner and invading my personal space until that scratch on his nose was like RIGHT THERE, and it being on the end of his freaking NOSE i couldn't help looking at it... and i smirked, and then tried not to, and then he was like, "what?" and i said "nothing, go on" and he did, but he kept getting closer, and as soon as i looked at that scratch again i was just DONE--uncontrollable. he was really offended too; i felt so bad... but if it was anyone else it wouldn't have been so damn funny. it's his own fault for being comical!

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
i just laugh a lot period--i'm sorry if i offend anyone, but seriously i'm easily amused

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
violent masturbation huh? what constitutes violent?

Uncle_Tbag

Of the DrGeddyLee Tbags
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a hard time keeping a straight face quite often (ex, I've been thinking about last night's Arrested and laughing all day :laugh: ) , but not when pts are around or when it's in the context of pt care. There is something decidedly unfunny about medicine.

But, I'd probably have a hard time keeping my composure if a pt told me he got stabbed after trying to stiff a hooker. There are just too many jokes in that one. . .

OP
Turkeyman

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Hahahaa nice stories with the sex sleep, pustule, nose-scratch, and the prostitute stab. I just got home from that exam about an hour ago(It's now 10:16pm) and question #169 was: Sex therapists diagnose this condition when presented with cases of individuals committing sexual acts in their sleep.

I answered that question in a heart-beat :D.

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
Santa MONICA
Status
Turkeyman said:
Hahahaa nice stories with the sex sleep, pustule, nose-scratch, and the prostitute stab. I just got home from that exam about an hour ago(It's now 10:16pm) and question #169 was: Sex therapists diagnose this condition when presented with cases of individuals committing sexual acts in their sleep.

I answered that question in a heart-beat :D.
awesome.
i chuckled pretty hard when i was shadowing a neurosurgeon and he used a staple gun to staple this guy's scalp back together. what a bizarre thing to do. i now know that its commom practice.
-mota

OP
Turkeyman

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
DaMota said:
awesome.
i chuckled pretty hard when i was shadowing a neurosurgeon and he used a staple gun to staple this guy's scalp back together. what a bizarre thing to do. i now know that its commom practice.
-mota
Actually, they did that to my uncle when he had to have a benign tumor removed from atop his brain. My uncle came home, all bald and with staples in his head. I remember him taking his hat off and the entire room going quiet. Then, he laughed his head off. :laugh:

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status
i'm really really bad at controlling my laughter....especially during classes, i have laughed through entire classes, and tried my best to hold it in

and one time someone told me how they injured something when they tried to jump over a car lengthwise as a kid....i then cracked up....the person said "you're gonna make a great doctor, laughing at my story" (of course sarcastically)

OP
Turkeyman

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Hahah yeah honestly I have tried to stifle my laughs in many situations, but find even biting my tongue to the point of streaming blood doesn't work(ok so I didn't actually go that far). Sucking your cheeks in makes it worse, and biting your lower lips makes it hecka-obvious. Will I really have to learn maturity and self-control? Can't I laugh at a patient while helping them? :(

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status
Turkeyman said:
Hahah yeah honestly I have tried to stifle my laughs in many situations, but find even biting my tongue to the point of streaming blood doesn't work(ok so I didn't actually go that far). Sucking your cheeks in makes it worse, and biting your lower lips makes it hecka-obvious. Will I really have to learn maturity and self-control? Can't I laugh at a patient while helping them? :(
through my many years of practice, i've noticed that if you're in a situation where you can quietly laugh (e.g., in a big lecture hall)...letting out quiet hehe's works pretty well to avoid the big laughter, and the possible huge outburst of holding the laughter...but yea, other situations don't work well...i try to make a really mad face to counter the snicker....or try to lick my lips so it looks like that's what i'm actually doing instead of the creeping smile

but know what sucks, when you sit in the 3rd row w/ your two friends and something funny happens, and they know you won't stop laughing, so they keep inciting (sp) it.....ok, that's actually hilarious....i love laughing, and smiling....

OP
Turkeyman

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
C.P. Jones said:
through my many years of practice, i've noticed that if you're in a situation where you can quietly laugh (e.g., in a big lecture hall)...letting out quiet hehe's works pretty well to avoid the big laughter, and the possible huge outburst of holding the laughter...but yea, other situations don't work well...i try to make a really mad face to counter the snicker....or try to lick my lips so it looks like that's what i'm actually doing instead of the creeping smile

but know what sucks, when you sit in the 3rd row w/ your two friends and something funny happens, and they know you won't stop laughing, so they keep inciting (sp) it.....ok, that's actually hilarious....i love laughing, and smiling....
That does suck with the friends sitting next to you. We've had it happen too many times...in fact that was how my laughing problem began!

The small hehe method works, but only to a certain extent :(. I find that when I feel HUGE laughter coming on, I tend to hold my breath. Then finally when I can't hold it in anymore, I'll exhale and the laughs will come out like a machine gun firing. No matter how much I try to conceal it, failure!

I haven't tried the mad face or lick-your-lips method yet, but knowing me I'll start thinking of how I look with turned down eyebrows and a wide smile. Then I'll die. :D

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status
Turkeyman said:
That does suck with the friends sitting next to you. We've had it happen too many times...in fact that was how my laughing problem began!

The small hehe method works, but only to a certain extent :(. I find that when I feel HUGE laughter coming on, I tend to hold my breath. Then finally when I can't hold it in anymore, I'll exhale and the laughs will come out like a machine gun firing. No matter how much I try to conceal it, failure!

I haven't tried the mad face or lick-your-lips method yet, but knowing me I'll start thinking of how I look with turned down eyebrows and a wide smile. Then I'll die. :D
it's also funny when a prof does something funny, and you're the only one to see the comedic value in it....so you're the only one laughing....like when one of my profs asked some question and then said hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm w/ a huge grin, and i thought it was hilarious, so i laughed, and everyone else was dead silent

just a couple good minutes of laughing would let it all out, but no, the entire class has to basically be skipped b/c you're trying to focus on not laughing, and it only gets worse....but once that class ends, and you can laugh, that's a wonderful time

USAFdoc2be

Jaime
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
Gaithersburg MD
Status
Medical Student
2 quick stories, first being funnier...

I was working in the diagnostic imaging unit of my local hospital while in college and frequently helped the techs get patients from the ER to X-ray. One night the ER got a patient complaining of constipation, so we took some x-rays of the lower abdomen. The tech showed them to me and asked me if I saw anything. I looked at it pretty hard and told him something looked weird around the lower pelvis. He asked what I thought it was and then busted out laughing. It was a Sharpie. The kid came in complaining of constipation and was too embarrassed to say why, I think he said he sat on it but can't figure out why the sharpie was standing straight up :D He ended up in surgery to get it out!

2nd one - same hospital working in the ER for my clinical hours as an EMT and we had a woman come in who had overdosed on ridilin. Her son had been given the prescription accidently and she decided she needed to calm down so she took the whole bottle. She must have been really stressed! Then kept asking why it wasn't calming her down. We explained to her that it didn't work that way since she wasn't ADD. I stayed in with her taking a history and she was twitching, I told the doctor and he tried not to laugh when he told me, "well if you had that much ridilin in you, you'd be twitching too."

Then you have me who all my co-workers laugh at since I got hit in the head with a softball running to first base last year and got stitches behind my ear and then a little over a year later (a few weeks ago), I somehow end up with a concussion and whiplash from running into someone playing soccer for PT. They all find it quite funny when they hear the whole story.

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status
USAFdoc2be said:
2 quick stories, first being funnier...
that 1st story was great! please tell me everyone was smiling or something when asking him any questions about it....i can't see who could keep a straight face

USAFdoc2be

Jaime
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
Gaithersburg MD
Status
Medical Student
C.P. Jones said:
that 1st story was great! please tell me everyone was smiling or something when asking him any questions about it....i can't see who could keep a straight face
we had a doc who kept excusing themselves out of the room, we were lucky cause the patient wasn't where we were so we were very loud in how much we were laughing.

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status
USAFdoc2be said:
we had a doc who kept excusing themselves out of the room, we were lucky cause the patient wasn't where we were so we were very loud in how much we were laughing.
i think i would have called it a day :laugh:

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm taking an anatomy class right now. The professor is a black woman from Luxemburg of all places. She speaks 5 languages, and is very hard to understand. So, when she lectures, she pronounces things quite different from any single accent I've heard.

Many times, she'll pronounce things that make em sound pretty funny. But, it's not a big deal. Just kind of "different".

But, one day, during our nervous system lecture, I was feeling kind of giddy. It was one of those times where almost anything could make you laugh. And then she started describing a situation of cooperative innervation between the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems.

The example she used was one of the "male sexual arousal and ejaculatory response" (she fumbled with the word ejaculation). I seriously almost lost control when she pronounced "peh-nis". In fact, if someone would have even bumped me it would have been all over for me. But, I just sat there holding it in.

The problem was that I was "giggling" to myself, and I think some people saw me. (I'm a 31 year old "non-trad", and supposed to be one of the more mature ones!).

WildcatMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2005
AZ
Status
Pre-Medical
it's good to laugh, even in the medical realm of life

it helps ease situations and keep people relaxed...

as long as it's done at the right time, and not laughing at somebody in miserable painor other situations like that

patnich81

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Sometimes to treat Parkinson's, electrodes are implanted in the patients brain to stimulate brain activity (deep-brain stimulation). Sometimes this causes strange side effects, I saw a video of one patient where when the electrodes were turned on he started to laugh uncontrollably. I mean, seriously, laughing so hard he almost couldn't catch his breath. And it was so contagious, none of the docters in the room were able to hold back their laughter, and everyone in my class watching this video cracked up. This old guy just laughing so unrestrained like he was a little kid. Of course it's kind of sad because although the brain stimulation helped his motor symptoms a lot, the laughing was so incapacitating that the treatment couldn't really help him.