pre-med & Marine Corp Officer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotvietboi123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a biochemistry/premed junior at a state university, and hopefully (got to pass my physicals/interviews) this summer I'll be attending PLC (Platoon Leaders Course). PLC is where I train for 10 weeks during the summer to be a Marine Corp officer, and if i like it, I can go to The Basic School to finish my training after I graduate college. I'm seriously thinking about contracting with the Marine Corp (4 years active/4 years inactive), I still want to be a doctor, but being a combat military officer was one of my lifelong goals. So heres the question, is it possible to apply to med school after I serve my time (min. 4 years, max. 8 years). I know the MCATs only last a few years, but how about college courses? Will my premed classes "expire" after a certain number of years? And do yall know anybody that has gotten in to med. school with years of service in between college graduation and acceptance into med. school?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a biochemistry/premed junior at a state university, and hopefully (got to pass my physicals/interviews) this summer I'll be attending PLC (Platoon Leaders Course). PLC is where I train for 10 weeks during the summer to be a Marine Corp officer, and if i like it, I can go to The Basic School to finish my training after I graduate college. I'm seriously thinking about contracting with the Marine Corp (4 years active/4 years inactive), I still want to be a doctor, but being a combat military officer was one of my lifelong goals. So heres the question, is it possible to apply to med school after I serve my time (min. 4 years, max. 8 years). I know the MCATs only last a few years, but how about college courses? Will my premed classes "expire" after a certain number of years? And do yall know anybody that has gotten in to med. school with years of service in between college graduation and acceptance into med. school?

Thank You!
Well semper fi, some of the best and worst times of my life were when I was in the corps but that was a lifetime ago. Now if you serve in the corps (or any branch) your classes won't expire but your MCAT score will so when its getting time to apply you'll have to retake the MCAT again.

I know of at least one guy who finished college went into the Chair Force and is now back in med school, he had to get a masters to prove he was still capable of handling the work load but he's back in school.

Hope that helps.

Thank You!

You definitely wouldn't be the first. Several people have done something like this (doing something on active duty first, then going into medicine).

Just a word of advice: Get all your pre-req courses done while you're in college, and get good grades, so you can have a nice phat GPA.

I say this b/c it's hard to take science classes and do well in them while you're on active duty (which some people try to do, to fulfill prereqs or raise their GPA). They just require too much time, and who knows how much moving around you'll have to do.

Studying for the MCAT while on AD or deployed (provided you have all of the study materials) isn't so bad, as I did for 4 months while standing a watch and underway (of course, I couldn't take a prep class, but those prep classes are worthless anyway if you're already self-disciplined).