Pre-Med/Med Student Conference in DC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the April MCAT has passed - best of luck to you all who took it - it is now time to focus on how best to enhance your application. All applicants must provide substantiation of their academic prowess through GPAs & MCAT scores; however, there are many other facets of your application that present opportunities to enhance your chances of acceptance, esp for nontrad applicants. Some folks choose to perceive these as additional hurdles or stumbling blocks. We all know that there are certainly a number of you who have additional baggage that we must drag along, for example: old crappy grades. However, if we are truly dedicated & driven to become physicians, you must overcome these additional elements.

The information that will be presented to you at this 2.5 day conference will prove to be of immense value in empowering you to overcome these barriers, for those of you who have them, and to provide insight in how you can turn your life experiences into feathers in your hat & bolster your application. Applying to medical school is expensive both financially & emotionally - do it right the first time...and increase your odds of doing so by attending this conference.

The conference will be in Washington, DC from the 8th through the 10th of June 2006 at the Crystal City Sheraton. Our room block has been filled - earliest we have ever accomplished this - however, the hotel is still taking reservations on an individual basis at our deeply discounted rate of $119/nt (vs the normal 180~200/nt) and you are welcome to roomshare [we do not need to know the details of your sharing accomodations ]! You may find detailed information at http://http://www.oldpremeds.org/2006regis/OPM.html or by visiting the OldPreMeds website at www.OldPremeds.org. You do not have to be a member to attend nor is it required that you be a non-trad - all are welcome & OldPreMeds has an explicit policy against excluding people for simply being of a traditional-age! Furthermore, by attending, you will help support a worthy cause: of the $75 registration fee, which is abysmally inexpensive for a medical conference, $5 will be donated to the American Cancer Society.

Our keynote speaker is Dr. Ken Iserson, author of two cornerstone texts: Getting into Medical School & Getting Into a Residency. These are two of the most read books of this type. In addition, Dr. Rob Bowman, Univ of Neb FP residency faculty & researcher of rural medicine & how nontrad status affects practice demographics in medical school grads, will be our anchor speaker on the 10th.

Please take a few minutes to peruse the information via the links above. If you have questions or comments - many SDNers have attended our conferences in past years - please feel free to post them in this thread.

I hope to meet each & every one of you in June in DC!

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent event. Highly recommend attending if you have the opportunity.

Gets JPHazelton's seal of approval!

:thumbup:

I agree! If you have the chance to attend, I would go. I went last year and really learned so much about the application process, how to get in, MCAT information from TPR vs. Kaplan head-to-head discussion, how to suceed once you are in, and beyond!

mshheaddoc said:
I agree! If you have the chance to attend, I would go. I went last year and really learned so much about the application process, how to get in, MCAT information from TPR vs. Kaplan head-to-head discussion, how to suceed once you are in, and beyond!

this year, there is a seminar on how to dig yourself out of a hole as well as confirmed that there will be about 5 medical schools there to talk to you.