pre-med/med-student fitness thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here consistently maintain 6-8 percent body fat? I'm usually at 9-10 while I diet and exercise. The only way I get down to 6-8 is when I cut carbs, which isn't a good idea in the long run. Even HIIT and intermittent fasting haven't gotten my fat below 9%.

Are you a lady?

I thought it was damn near impossible to get a body fat percent below 9%

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a lady?

I thought it was damn near impossible to get a body fat percent below 9%

Nah, I'm a male. I used to have 6% back in high school because my metabolism was ridiculous. I just can't get it down there now unless I eat like <20 grams of carbs daily. There has to be another way...

I normally either do 5x5 or 3x8 on most lifts. I split between chest/tri, back/bi/lats, shoulders/accessory,leg.

I'd say 5x5 is amazing for strength gains; I've won my school benchoff and can almost do 2x bodyweight. Reverse grip bench ever since I plateaued and it really breaks it up. Dumbbell bench also helps mix things up. 8 reps would be ideal for gaining mass.

For bicep days, I always start out with weighted pull-ups (+80lbs for 5-7 reps, 3 sets); I've found that I keep my strength gains and make better gains with compound movements for biceps.

Deadlift is the king of back but I keep the weight moderate b/c I don't want to risk hurting my back.

Doing a shoulder circuit with shrugs, presses, arnolds presses, and behind the head flys. Move on to some other stuff after...

Legs I do once a week; squat and front squats; rarely calf raises. Basically squat and leg machine are all I do for legs...I don't wana fit too tight into pants loL!

No supplements except the occasional muscle milk.

Edit: Always do weighted abs so you don't have to diet. You will get thick abs to show through fat. You don't want skinny abs anyways. I eat terrible everyday lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Check out infiniteElgintensity on youtube. The guy adds his commentary to crossfit videos, basically tearing the whole crossfit philosophy a new one.
Hilarious.
Here's one to start you off:

I used to hit the weight room before classes and then cardio either at lunch or after class:

M Heavy Chest/Back
T Light arms/shoulders
W Legs
Th Light Chest/Back
F Heavy shoulders
S Heavy Arms
Su off

Basically 2-3 supersets with abs in the middle. Heavy days would max 8 reps min 2-4, light days usually 12-15
Would hit the precore or run/swim for cardio.

I had to share this lol.

Reactions: 2 users
"He's got the 'couldn't make it' look to him" hahahhaha
No offense, (well I guess it is offensive lol) but most of the people I have seen who do cross fit have the worst form, hate bodybuilders, and think they are so badass.
I don't think you can get muscle and cut with cross fit.
Edit: Oh wait. You know about this guy already lol. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Seriously, there are two students (a couple, actually) at my school who are super into crossfit, and I told one of them that I am going to be doing the 300 workout, and they were like "you should just do cross fit - it's exactly what cross fit is."

I'm sorry - I'd like to knot wreck my joints while attempting to get cut. Also, to anyone who is wondering - the 300 workout is NOT anything at all like cross fit - yes, there are kettlebell swings and pull-ups - but you aren't racing against a clock - you are trying to to complete 50 reps, properly. Just because it's high rep doesn't mean it's supposed to be high pace. Keep this in mind people.

The only thing I have ever seen done properly and as a slow and deliberate exercise in any cross fit workout, is the turkish get up. Get ups are tough, props if you can do them with a decent weight.

Sometimes I bring the textbook with me when on the elliptical or treadmill. Remember to get adequate rest too or you'll be doing this in vain

Sometimes I bring the textbook with me when on the elliptical or treadmill. Remember to get adequate rest too or you'll be doing this in vain
f8446_a_jackie-chan-meme.jpg

C'mon brah if you are able to read while you are doing cardio you aren't going ham on those bad boys(treadmill and elliptical).

Members don't see this ad :)
f8446_a_jackie-chan-meme.jpg

C'mon brah if you are able to read while you are doing cardio you aren't going ham on those bad boys(treadmill and elliptical).
I don't know what it is about me but something about those damn cells and molecules really push me

I had to share this lol.

Dude, don't hate on Speal! 5'5", 150# and can clean jerk 300. 2x body weight. That's incredible. 100 kipping pull-ups is no easy feat either.

There are so many different methods of exercise, that you can't just hate on something different. In crossfit, there are some really bad trainers/gyms and there are some really good ones. Just like in any other style of gym. The crossfit gyms that aren't trying to reinvent the wheel have some good programming. Check out Outlaw Crossfit's doctrine. Their head trainer is a disciple of Louis Simmons.

I'm no advocate of 100 snatches or deadlifts for time, or the fanaticism that surrounds crossfit, but they've got some impressive athletes with some impressive physiques.

Dude, don't hate on Speal! 5'5", 150# and can clean jerk 300. 2x body weight. That's incredible. 100 kipping pull-ups is no easy feat either.

There are so many different methods of exercise, that you can't just hate on something different. In crossfit, there are some really bad trainers/gyms and there are some really good ones. Just like in any other style of gym. The crossfit gyms that aren't trying to reinvent the wheel have some good programming. Check out Outlaw Crossfit's doctrine. Their head trainer is a disciple of Louis Simmons.

I'm no advocate of 100 snatches or deadlifts for time, or the fanaticism that surrounds crossfit, but they've got some impressive athletes with some impressive physiques.

No, it's totally okay to hate on crossfit - uncontrolled swings and motions that place needless stress on joins will leave those "athletes with great physiques" decrepit with major joint and bossible dysphasia issues in their 40's and 50':.

Who's doing cardio tomorrow?
Me. Gonna banf
No, it's totally okay to hate on crossfit - uncontrolled swings and motions that place needless stress on joins will leave those "athletes with great physiques" decrepit with major joint and bossible dysphasia issues in their 40's and 50':.
Yeah, plus the "elite" cross fit athletes are on the juice and orals (dianabol).

Check out infiniteElgintensity on youtube. The guy adds his commentary to crossfit videos, basically tearing the whole crossfit philosophy a new one.
Hilarious.
Here's one to start you off:

Yeah, because crap form never happens at the gym either right? ;)
Crossfit is of no interest to me, but c'mon, I see more people with absolutely ridiculous form on DL/squats at the gym than naked dudes during the gay pride. Definitely has nothing to do with the way to exercise.
Crossfit in itself does not encourage poor form and too quick motions/reps, it only happens because people are jumping on the bandwagon to make cash without proper training

You Should look up Crossfits female golden child, Julie Foucher.

she's a med student at Casewestern I think. She has a blog.

http://juliefoucher.com/2013/07/14/how-crossfit-prepared-me-for-the-usmle-step-1/

Didn't know crossfit helped with step 1!!!! Gotta start doi that ish.

If this is a lesson she realized when she was preparing for Step I, I would be horrified to know how the heck she got into a top 30 medical school. These are things I knew my sophomore year of college....wow.

Endurance Step-up today:

0.5 mi @ 4.5 mph
0.4 mi @ 4.2 mph
0.2 mi @ 4.5 mph
0.4 mi @ 4.0 mph

(disclaimer - I suck at running, previous max was 0.4 @ 4.3 mph)

Female here (cause most people don't realize that haha)

I do olympic and auxillary lifts 3x a week, cardio (HIIT) 2x a week, yoga 2x a week, and soccer game/t&f meet 1x a week.

I download TEDtalks to my iPhone and stream them during cardio. I don't think I could read a textbook while doing cardio, but I've reviewed notecards and listened to pre-recorded Spanish lessons.

If I have a rest day and I forgot to take my creatine, is that going to significantly throw my results?
What if I miss creatine 1 day a week, every week....negligible consequence?
Feel free to chime in, anyone.

If I have a rest day and I forgot to take my creatine, is that going to significantly throw my results?
What if I miss creatine 1 day a week, every week....negligible consequence?
Feel free to chime in, anyone.

It literally takes a month for your levels to fall to pre-supp concentrations if you stop dosage, you're fine missing 1 day. You'll be like 95% saturated instead of 100%.

Just because this is true, doesn't mean it's necessarily crossfit that's generating said impressive physiques. Chances are these people may genetically be predisposed to having better muscle tone regardless of whether it's being fueled by crossfit or a standard 5x5 routine. Let's not fall into post hoc ergo procter hoc fallacy here.

This thread has been closed. This is a forum for information about the medical school application process, and issues that pertain to it. For social conversations, feel free to join in the discussion in the Class of XXXX threads, off topic thread, or in the lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.