Pre med/medical students guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmergencyMonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm working on a kind of pre-med/medical students guide to patient care. A down to earth lesson on doctor patient interactions and how to make the encounter fun and rewarding for both parties. Just some tips that I have learned over the years that has made my job that much more fullfilling. Tips that have propelled me to the top of patient satisfaction surveys and has earned me many kind patient thank you letters. Is there something in particular you would find an interesting and informative read? Is this something any one of you would be interested in? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would definitely be interested in reading this.

Definitely :thumbup:

I would love to know any tips you have on what it takes to be a good doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, please share anything you think will be helpful. Would definitely read.

Awesome. Give me some ideas on what you want to read about that I might be able to include.

Would love to read it. Some ideas: Dealing with angry/combative patients/family. How to tactfully and effectively convince non-compliant patients to be compliant. Handling angry/terrified parents. Tips on telling bad news.

Communicating through a language barrier.

Treating other doctors. (Or worse, treating people who "used to be doctors")

These are excellent suggestions so keep adding on and I will look to include them!
I may not think of the idea but I'm sure I've dealt with it and may have some tips. Join my website so I can email everyone when things are starting to come together!

How to handle a situation where a patient or family member is angry/upset with you for whatever reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be interested in reading it.

Drug addicts seeking opioids vs people who are really in pain; how to distinguish between the two without falling into stereotyping people. Thanks for doing this.

Drug addicts seeking opioids vs people who are really in pain; how to distinguish between the two without falling into stereotyping people. Thanks for doing this.

That is definitely something I will include but I will give you my take on it now. Give the patient the benefit of the doubt unless you are absolutely sure. I would rather give to a drug addict then miss the patient who is truly in need. There are less drug addicts out there then there are real legit patients in pain.

On a side note I love my OARRS reports of you know what those are. That has been a game changer for me!

Communicating through a language barrier.

Treating other doctors. (Or worse, treating people who "used to be doctors")

Man, I'd like to know too.

I'd like to know how to deal with handicap people, specially mentally handicap. My sister is studying psychology and asked me about a case she had. A kid about 12 years old with dislexia. He has psycho-motor development problems, specially "fine coordination" (I don't know the english term, he can't write or draw, but can walk, eat by himself, etc) The kid doesn't talk and have a lot of focusing problems, he can focus in a regular task for 5 minutes or so, and in a task that he likes for about 25 minutes top. He suffered perinatal hypoxia, and when my sister was playing with him to pop-up soap bubbles she noticed he has problems with depth and movement perception. Maybe he has a focused damaged in the visual cortex or just need glasses, but how can you exam a patient that can't talk or focus?

BTW, thanks, you started a very interesting topic

Man, I'd like to know too.

I'd like to know how to deal with handicap people, specially mentally handicap. My sister is studying psychology and asked me about a case she had. A kid about 12 years old with dislexia. He has psycho-motor development problems, specially "fine coordination" (I don't know the english term, he can't write or draw, but can walk, eat by himself, etc) The kid doesn't talk and have a lot of focusing problems, he can focus in a regular task for 5 minutes or so, and in a task that he likes for about 25 minutes top. He suffered perinatal hypoxia, and when my sister was playing with him to pop-up soap bubbles she noticed he has problems with depth and movement perception. Maybe he has a focused damaged in the visual cortex or just need glasses, but how can you exam a patient that can't talk or focus?

BTW, thanks, you started a very interesting topic

Yeah! Mentally impared patients are very difficult to manage and you really have to rely on caregivers and hone in on the subtleties of your physical exam. You may find yourself ordering more tests to figure things out because they cant tell you. I tend to cast a wide net to see what I come back with.

Great point though and something I will include.

Last edited:
Could you include a section on Roundsmanship: either as a student shadowing, med student on wards, or a resident on rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.