Pre-med plan...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A1cfox21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted anything on SDN... Just recently got back from Iraq. Well, I will be leaving the Air Force in March of 2006. I plan on moving to Orlando to finish by Bachelors at UCF along with all the pre-med science classes. My question was about clinical/volunteer experience. I was thinking about trying to get a job in a doctors office. Perhaps becoming a CNA or EMT-b and using that training to become a pseudo Medical assistant type. Just thinking of a part-time position where I could work a few hours a day and attend classes afterward. I figured this would be a good way to earn some extra cash to help support my family and also give me clinical type experience and plenty of shadowing opportunity. I think this would be better than doing the part-time at Walmart (or anywhere else) and also make time for volunteering at a hospital (or anywhere else) plus setting aside a few days a month to shadow physicians. Would CNA or EMT-b certs be helpful in getting this type of employment? I like my idea because I'd have my weekends for family/studying/One Guard weekend a month. Any ideas or other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, welcome back! glad you made it home safely and thank you for serving. secondly, EMT-B is a rigorous training program. many people on this board will agree that only get if you will be using it (not just to get it to look good on your app). not sure how long it takes you to get a cna. other then that...what you said is a good idea. just make sure you do good in school and you'll be set.

good luck :)

THANK YOU FOR SERVING!!!

I would not do the emt-b since it is a bit of training and if you're not going to use it, why get it?

Becoming a CNA is really easy and will give you TONS of patient interaction. Just a warning though, there might be plenty of "code browns."

That's what I would do.

Members don't see this ad :)
anomic said:
THANK YOU FOR SERVING!!!

I would not do the emt-b since it is a bit of training and if you're not going to use it, why get it?

Becoming a CNA is really easy and will give you TONS of patient interaction. Just a warning though, there might be plenty of "code browns."

That's what I would do.

How do you become a CNA?

AWhitehair said:
How do you become a CNA?

Becoming a CNA is pretty easy. The courses usually are only about 80 hours from what I've found.

One question I have is, should I wait 'til I move to FL to do the CNA training or should I do it here in UT and transfer the license? I don't know how much of a pain it might be to transfer the license to FL.

It kinda a dilemma.. You could spend less time and get a CNA, which most likely won't let u work in the ER. Or you could get an EMT-b spend about $500 take a little more time and be able to work in the ER. Some of the jobs you get being a CNA really suck... but then again I guess it comes down to your location. I would check the job listing in your surrounding area before coming down to the final decision.

A1cfox21 said:
Becoming a CNA is pretty easy. The courses usually are only about 80 hours from what I've found.

One question I have is, should I wait 'til I move to FL to do the CNA training or should I do it here in UT and transfer the license? I don't know how much of a pain it might be to transfer the license to FL.

I'm not sure how hard it is to transfer the CNA certificate but the EMT certificate would have been hard to transfer to Fl had I not been certified through National Registry. I personally think you should wait till you get here. You don't want to waste your money or your time. A lot of times Fl will make you retake there test (which will cost you more money).

AWhitehair

What about PCT licenses?????? How long does it take in comparison to EMT-B and CNA????

Whats a PCT license?

Oh, and where exactly can I get training for CNA cert. Will a hospital provide it, or do I have to pay on my own (and either way, where is the training + jobs available)

A1cfox21 said:

It looks like a CNA cert would transfer from UT to FL.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Mqa/cna/cna_reciprocity.html

Stephanie

Anybody else with info please chime in. Im starting pre-med this year in Florida and was looking at doing something like this also.

Rocket3004 said:
Whats a PCT license?

Oh, and where exactly can I get training for CNA cert. Will a hospital provide it, or do I have to pay on my own (and either way, where is the training + jobs available)

Patient care Technician

KRiv said:
Anybody else with info please chime in. Im starting pre-med this year in Florida and was looking at doing something like this also.

Hey what university are you starting at????? If you are just starting, I would go to UF for undergrad. They have the best premed program in the state. Organizations such as Premed AMSA, Premed Honor Society (AED), and hospital volunteering are some ways to get involved no matter which school you are at.

After your first year, you may be able to find a professor letting you do research if you are interested in that.

But I would personally get an EMT-B license. That is the best clinical training you'll get. Either that or a patient care technician or phlebotomy license. But EMT-B is the way I would go.

It will give you some true real world patient care experience and a way to show that you are committed to health care.