Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Pre Med Prerequisites in Graduate School

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by dsdmurray, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. dsdmurray

dsdmurray 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am just finishing my first year of a MS in microbiology and am taking a few extraneous premed classes I failed to take in my undergrad (Physics I and II). The big question I have concerns my GPA and BCPM of these classes.

I know that the graduate level classes factor into their own part on the AMCAS application, but how do undergraduate classes taken as a graduate student work? They do not count for my degree (they wont even be listed on my application to graduate).

Thank you in advance for any help, the entire graduate undergraduate distinction is very undefined.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We had a nontrad post about this a few years back. The gist, as I recall, is that undergrad courses that count toward your grad work are problematic, otherwise they are normal undergrad work and are listed as such on AMCAS.

You'll want to look this up in the official AMCAS instructions, which are quite thorough and useful.

Best of luck to you.

4. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If they are NOT used towards your graduate degree, then they are listed as PB and will be combined with other UG GPAs
    BTW, any grad work not used to a degree is also PB and is combined with UG GPA

The instructions from AMCAS on this read as follows:

*Assign Post Baccalaureate (PB) status to any undergraduate level coursework you
    enrolled in:
    ---After receipt of your initial BA/BS degree.
    ---While enrolled in a graduate program, if coursework is not applied to a
    graduate degree.

*Assign Graduate (GR) status to any professional or graduate-level coursework that
    is not applied to an undergraduate degree.

5. dsdmurray

dsdmurray 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Very cool, thank you very much. This will be very good for my GPA and BCPM.

About the ads