Pre-med question: Did i blow my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papoosh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I know this is not the right place to post this, but Im kind of freaking out and would like to know if any of you experienced something like this. So i had my interview at my top school last week. I have a questionable past as far as grades go and I was doing a great job explaining it. I was put on the spot for 15 minutes straight and all of a sudden the interviewer asks me:

Interviewer: So why do you wanna be a doctor?
Me: Because i love to learn, even if it doesnt look like it from my earlier grades (smile like an idiot), and because this country has given me such great opportunities and freedom and i think this is the best way to give back. By being a physician and helping the underserved improve their life however incremental.

This is not at all the answer I had but it just came out. I know it is really plain and sucky, but i was wondering if any of you guys have had a terrible answer like that and got in despite the answer? I am so worried because I have invested my whole life into this and dont want to ruin everything. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you didn't flub the question too badly. BUT, why on earth did you talk about bad grades for 15 minutes straight? You should have answered about that briefly, then pivoted to WHY YOU WANT TO BE A DOCTOR yourself! Sounds like you exasperated the interviewer until they threw you a life raft to get out of the negative topic.

Practice this for every negative thing: 1. Explain the problem briefly 2. Pivot 3. Showcase your dedication to medicine.

Thanks for your responses. The reason is because I have terrible grades from my past, failed classes multiple times and took the MCATs multiple times. I did turn into how having the passion to be a doctor drove me to go back to school and get a 4.0 in an all upper level postbacc.

Papoosh, you need to read a book on interviewing skills. Not one geared to medical schools, but one for job interviews. Read the chapter on "explaining negatives in the past". You can either leave a good taste or a bad taste in their mouth, and your need to explain your poor performance is less important than your need to explain your future potential!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your responses. The reason is because I have terrible grades from my past, failed classes multiple times and took the MCATs multiple times. I did turn into how having the passion to be a doctor drove me to go back to school and get a 4.0 in an all upper level postbacc.

Word of advice. Don't talk about grades and MCAT, unless asked about grades and MCAT. You don't want to point out weaknesses because the interviewer could pick at them. You could enter a situation where you may say the wrong thing and the interviewer may interpret you as a weaker applicant. This is as BHB2008 has mentioned a place where you want to shine, and the more you hide your blemishes, the better. So as the saying goes on SDN a closed mouth does not invite the foot.

Reactions: 1 users
The reason is because I have terrible grades from my past, failed classes multiple times and took the MCATs multiple times. I did turn into how having the passion to be a doctor drove me to go back to school and get a 4.0 in an all upper level postbacc.