Pre-Med Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OzFan321

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I havea question for all you current pre-meds and medical students out there. This is for my friend, who does not like message boards and chatting online and goes to a "Top 25" school in the US. She would like to know if it would be bad to get a C+ in Biology and a B- in inorganic chemistry. She's concerned, since her school is VERY TOUGH on the grading. Please share any info.

I understand that people come from school that are large small, research and liberal arts colleges. This school my friend goes too is really tough. So if you or anyone you know is from a tough school and is not doing too hot in the sciences please post here.

Thanks for any info. you can provide so that I can relay it to my friend.

-OzFan321-

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been looking at my transcript? :wink: I got a C+ in cell bio and a B- in gen chem, but I got As on everything else. I would say my university is comparable to a top 25--it's top 35, though, but the premed program is TOUGH, especially in weed-out classes like Gen chem where they like to fail people. As long as your friend gets A's from now on she should be ok. ok, sorry for rambling.... :)

Hopefully she can now get an upward treng in her gpa by improving, and doing well on the mcats, and don't forget some good ECs and LORs! :D

Foxy, thanks for the info. I've seen your numerous posts, but never knew that! Anyways, my friend wants to take organic at a local 4-year college during the summer session which is about 8 weeks. Will this help? Or will it be hard to do well and keep good grades? She also wants to take physics next year, and then in third year- study for the MCAT's and maybe take some type of upper level science such as biochem or something. Also, I see that people have 3,7's 3,8's, and 3,9's. Is this the GPA with and without science classes? What minimum science GPA is needed from a top 25 school? My friend keeps bombarding me with these questions and I am trying to collect info for her.

First of all, tell your friend to STOP looking at my transcript! I took orgo with labs over one summer, but I did it at my university, and I think it is best for her to do it at her school or at a comparable one. otherwise, I bet her school won't accept the credits.

Her plan sounds fine. Many people take physics junior year while they are studying for the mcat. I took gen chem freshman year, physics and bio sophomore year, and then orgo over the summer. Oh yeah, orgo over the summer was easier than during the year for me, beause I'm good at cramming and just getting it done with.

As far as being from a top 25 school, I don't know what gpa she needs, but it's always better for it to be high. Some schools prescreen for interviews based on numbers, so while a 3.3 might be good for her tought school, adcoms won't care. A 3.5 could get her in more easily, and a 3.4 has a chance. A 3.6 or higher would be best, b/c 3,6 is the average gpa of matriculants. Also, maybe should could take some easier non-science courses to boost her gpa.

I think usually when people say their gpa, they are referring to their cumulative gpa. My cum gpa is higher than my science, so I usually say my cumulative one. :p

Any more questions? :D