Pre-Med Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasevan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I read in most places that I've checked that most schools require 8 hrs each (including lab) of bio, chm, phy, and org.
My question is: does that mean that as long as I have 8 hrs of, for example, bio (bio I lecture-3 hrs, bio I lab-2 hrs, and bio II lecture-3 hrs) I don't have to have any more, for example bio II lab?
Thanks in advance.
Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

sasevan said:
Hi everyone,
I read in most places that I've checked that most schools require 8 hrs each (including lab) of bio, chm, phy, and org.
My question is: does that mean that as long as I have 8 hrs of, for example, bio (bio I lecture-3 hrs, bio I lab-2 hrs, and bio II lecture-3 hrs) I don't have to have any more, for example bio II lab?
Thanks in advance.
Peace.
No. For each of the four science pre-reqs, you need the full year of lecture and a full year of lab.

I'm wondering that too, because that's definitely not true at all schools. Of what I know, you have to take the full year of bio lab, but Columbia, for instance, only requires one semester of gen chem lab and one semester of orgo lab (or so I assume, since that's what they require of their post-baccs and in their own pre-med program.)

Camillekc said:
I'm wondering that too, because that's definitely not true at all schools. Of what I know, you have to take the full year of bio lab, but Columbia, for instance, only requires one semester of gen chem lab and one semester of orgo lab (or so I assume, since that's what they require of their post-baccs and in their own pre-med program.)
I'm not real familiar with Columbia's requirements, but according to their website, they require "two years of chemistry with labs." Even if there are a few schools out there that do not require two semesters of lab, the vast majority of schools do. I would not want to limit myself to only applying to these few schools which do not require a full year of lab.