Pre-med requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadingcading

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have applied to med school:

Were there any required courses, apart from biochemistry, that you did not take by the time of your application/interview? Did this negatively affect your applicaton/acceptance?

I know that most schools will allow required courses to be completed after the application period but before matriculation.

Thanks!:confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a strong believer that pre-reqs don't matter too much in terms of getting interviews or acceptances. If your record is strong otherwise, it doesn't seem to come up. I'm only about halfway done my pre-req courses, and interviewers haven't asked about it, except as clarification ("You're taking orgo in night classes? Ok."). They really are matriculation, not application, requirements. Just dazzle them in other ways and it'll be fine. :)

I would think that the requirements would be more important for your MCAT than your interview. If you feel you are comfortable with the info on the MCAT without taking all the pre-reqs than more power to you but I tried to take most (no all the labs) of the classes before I took the MCAT. As for the interview, I don't think it makes a difference.