pre-med school ratings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seasidewed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in high school and am considering pre-med/med school. Is there a list rating pre-med schools? Is it ok to attend a liberal arts school? Can you still get into med school that way? Should I major in biology? Thanks for any information. I am just beginning this search for a school and ned all the help I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

seaside-

More English majors are accepted into Medical School each year than any other major....History majors are next.
Medical Schools want to see a well-rounded, well-developed person. Major in Biology (like I am) if that's what you really want. Don't do it to improve your chances of getting into Medical School.
As for rankings of Pre-Med schools, find out the percentage of Medical School applicants that get accepted each year from the schools you are interested in. My school has a very high percentage of applicants get accepted.
Any other questions about pre-med and undergraduate stuff, feel free to email me.

For the medical school part, keep posting stuff in here...these are good people.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Actually, the above post is only partly correct.

English and History majors have some of the highest acceptance *percentages*, not raw numbers. The reason for this is obvious--only the English majors who are stellar applicants actually apply to med school, whereas dang near every bio major applies.

Most med school freshman, you will find, actually majored in a science, usually biology or a related discipline.

With that said, it does not matter all that much what you major in, as long as you complete the necessary pre-med classes (biology, chemistry, physics, org. chem). It can matter what school you go to, though.
The more well-known your school, the better your chances are. I have been told that, more important than this, is that you try to attend an undergrad school that actually *has* a medical school as well, probably the one you want to attend. The school has to believe in their own product (you), so they always show some preference to their own grads when selecting from applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)