Pre-med Society (Club)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you in your school's pre-med society, do you have a newsletter/ monthly update? This upcoming school year I will be taking over the position as editor of our newsletter. I need some ideas of articles or topics to write about. Just curious what other clubs publish in their newsletter??

Members don't see this ad.

HarveyCushing said:
For those of you in your school's pre-med society, do you have a newsletter/ monthly update? This upcoming school year I will be taking over the position as editor of our newsletter. I need some ideas of articles or topics to write about. Just curious what other clubs publish in their newsletter??

be hilarious if the head of a premed society doesnt get into any med school or decides not to pursue medicine anymore. lolol

my shcool doesnt have a premed society or club. but we sure have a lot of premeds

Pre-med clubs, bleh.

I want to list SDN as an EC / Activity on my AMCAS. That would be funny. :laugh: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
crazy_cavalier said:
Pre-med clubs, bleh.

I want to list SDN as an EC / Activity on my AMCAS. That would be funny. :laugh: :thumbup:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

u should try and see what happeends...

the pre med clubs is probably the most uselesss club......

there are about 5 members who actually go to the "meetings".......
and i know there are more pre meds than that..

yea seriously, pre-med organizations never seem to do much. how do adcoms view involvement/leadership in those?

I think declaring myself as a pre-med is cheasy... I remember one time a girl came into my english 101 class and was like "we can help you with your papers... blah blah blah..." and then she went on to say something about how she is a pre-med major trying to make herself sound smart. I couldn't stop laughing because our school doesn't have a premed major. I believe she was in the pre-med club which has about 2 people show up for meetings. I think the only time anyone actually goes there is when our State school adcom comes and presents us a lecture. And I can say even that meeting was a waste of 2 hours.

OU has a premed club which I joined as a sophmore and it was the lamest thing. I went to about four "meetings" and was astonished by how unorganized and ******ed it all was.

At one meeting they had chiropractors come out plugging their school the whole hour. I guess that was for the majority of the folks who knew they'd never actually get into medical school :)

Some medical school was coming out to OKC for students to get info about their school and these chicks from India who were running the premed club told us we HAD to reserve a spot with them (the chicks)...and to sign up after the meeting. I was interested in that med school so I went up after the meeting to sign up...and they had no sign up sheet and talked for 5 minutes and then had us sign the back-side of one of those chick's junk mail (like an Arby's coupon..seriously).

Three weeks later when the med school was arriving soon I contacted them asking "Are there any details I need to know, or an admission ticket?" And these chicks were like "Oh, we decided not to go." I was like....ummmmm your what hurts?

As if what they wanted to do had anything to do with anything. It wouldn't have been a problem but by then it was too late to reserve a spot thru the med school's website b/c the event was in a few days and my ticket wouldn't have arrived in time.

So I missed that one because (1) the premed group was being run by a female version of abbott and costello and (2) because I was stupid enough to listen to these dumb chicks.

In conclusion, premed clubs are about as useless as they come. At least at OU.

Johnny

We don't have a pre-med club but AED. It is headed by the pre-med advisor so they get stuff done. They also have sign-in sheets at meetings. If you don't come to atleast half of the meetings during the semester then you are considered non-active. The advisor then sends a list to the state med schools of the active members in AED so they know what people are BSing on their apps.

We have A Pre-med club but I didn't join. Most pre-meds at my school are lame. I'm happy no one knows I'm pre-med. When someone asks I just say I want to get a Phd. I'm already disliked because I set the curves on all the freshman chem tests and a couple in bio. If they knew I was premed, :eek: . They don't even do anything. They volunteer here and there. It's funny listening to the pre-med girls talk. They act like they know everything, ha, SDN has taught me everything. It's my pre-med club. :laugh:

Our premed club is just a place to get free pizza.

They have the sign in sheets also....but I'd put being a member of the club as a strong point on my amcas info right after I said I'd be a good doctor cuz I think Scrubs rocks (which it does) :D