Pre-Med Sophomore Interested in Becoming a Doctor for the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imsmartbutmygpasucks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently a rising sophomore and I had a rough freshman year-3.1 gpa. I hope to raise it significantly within the next three years. I am very interested in joining the military and becoming a military doctor. I'm wondering if there is anyone that can give me information on this path as opposed to other medical paths.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to talk to a military officer recruiter during your application process. I talked to one in April and had everything ready by September (physical, AMCAS sent out, papers signed, etc.) Then you and your recruiter will go from there.

You will have 2 interviews through the Navy (I'm not sure about Army or AF.) Because you get accepted to medical school does NOT mean you'll get the HPSP scholarship (I'm assuming this is what you're talking about.) Likewise, you could get the scholarship and not get accepted to medical school. If the latter happens, that's okay. You have to reapply next cycle and, if you get in, you'll keep the scholarship. At least this is how it was explained to me.

OP What type of military physician are you interested in? As for myself, I am interested in becoming Army Emergency Med Physician or General Surgeon. I am currently a rising Junior and has been talking with Army HPSP Recruiter for awhile now and it seems like I will be shooting for the Army Option for few reasons:
1. There are alot of Army HPSP than USAF and Navy combined.
2. Army has far more residencies available than USAF and Navy (they often have to match with civilian)
3. Army has the biggest Medical Corps
4. AFROTC made me rethink about my then dream of becoming Air Force Flight Surgeon.
5. Navy forces you to serve as a General Medical Officer aboard ships for 2 years before they allow you to apply for residencies.

Hit me up if you have more specific questions about military or pre-med!

//cheers