Pre-Med Stats Rating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tw725

Reaction score
Hello All,

I’ve been wondering about my stats for the AMCAS process. My first year in undergrad was a total mess up, due to personal problems that I take full responsibility for. Second year was an improvement and third year even more so. However, my cGPA, if all goes well, will be around a 3.5, sGPA is around a 3.595. My best MCAT score is a 520.

My EC includes:
- Founding and directing a non-profit (recently achieved 501c3 status) organization that provides free first aid and disaster preparedness training to local communities, provides free EMS services to local organizations and their events, and supplements local PD/FD during large events and disasters. Founded the organization in ‘08 and have built it up and directed it to this day with >2500 hours of volunteer service.
- Served as a unpaid uncertified medical assistant for a pain management doctor for 2 years, have a good LoR in order from the doc.
- Served as a paid uncertified medical assistant for a pediatrician for 1 year, consecutive with above MA job, and also have a good LoR in order from the doc.

I know that GPA and MCAT are crucial, how well do my ECs supplement my application? I hope that it wasn’t for nothing, if that makes sense. I know I want to pursue med, and gap years to me seems like time wasted. Thanks for your time and input!

EDIT: I calculated science GPA wrong, it is actually a 3.595.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your state of residency? Are you a member of an underrepresented in medicine group?

The ECs you have described are very high quality. Your sGPA and cGPA are on the lower side and I wouldn't be shocked if they significantly reduced your number of interview invitations. With that said, your upward grade trend will be looked upon favorably. Are you at a rigorous university known for grade deflation? If shooting for top schools, do you have any research?

If you get around a 520 MCAT, your shot is pretty solid for many MD schools. Whether or not you get in will depend on your ability to craft a compelling and cohesive application. When choosing schools, check out the MSAR. Your GPA will be <10th% for most schools, however your (potentially) high MCAT should help increase your chances.

What are your other MCAT scores? Some schools average , some dont. If your 520 averages down to 510, say it was your 4th attempt, you may not get much love. You might need some grade repair. Some schools, especially DO schools reward grade improvement. Dont discount the importance of an interview should you be granted one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state of residency? Are you a member of an underrepresented in medicine group?

The ECs you have described are very high quality. Your sGPA and cGPA are on the lower side and I wouldn't be shocked if they significantly reduced your number of interview invitations. With that said, your upward grade trend will be looked upon favorably. Are you at a rigorous university known for grade deflation? If shooting for top schools, do you have any research?

If you get around a 520 MCAT, your shot is pretty solid for many MD schools. Whether or not you get in will depend on your ability to craft a compelling and cohesive application. When choosing schools, check out the MSAR. Your GPA will be <10th% for most schools, however your (potentially) high MCAT should help increase your chances.

I am not part of underrepresented groups in medicine (I’m Asian). I go to a UC (California) that ranks within the top 9 nationwide public schools. Would like to attend any of the local UC’s medical schools, maybe some private ones too (like Kaiser Permanente level, not Stanford).

What are your other MCAT scores? Some schools average , some dont. If your 520 averages down to 510, say it was your 4th attempt, you may not get much love. You might need some grade repair. Some schools, especially DO schools reward grade improvement. Dont discount the importance of an interview should you be granted one.

My lowest MCAT was 516, took it twice. Would SMPs or MPH be a good grade boosting route?

Your grades are low, but your MCAT and ECs are stellar. Being from UCI may help with the UC schools, so you might as well shoot for it! I think you should try an MD-only cycle, and if you don’t get in, then try gpa improvement for an MD/DO cycle. Perhaps you could do your post bac in the upcoming fall/winter/spring semesters while you apply/interview to boost your gpa and immediately reapply if you don’t get in. If you have an acceptance by December you could obviously forego the past-bac.

My lowest MCAT was 516, took it twice. Would SMPs or MPH be a good grade boosting route?
A self made post bac might be a cheaper option. @Goro has a thread on doing your own self Post Bac. Right now, I think some schools may screen you on your GPA. You definitely can get an acceptance now, imo, but you might have to leave California.

Hello All,

I’ve been wondering about my stats for the AMCAS process. My first year in undergrad was a total mess up, due to personal problems that I take full responsibility for. Second year was an improvement and third year even more so. However, my cGPA, if all goes well, will be around a 3.5, sGPA is around a 3.35. My best MCAT score is a 520.

My EC includes:
- Founding and directing a non-profit (recently achieved 501c3 status) organization that provides free first aid and disaster preparedness training to local communities, provides free EMS services to local organizations and their events, and supplements local PD/FD during large events and disasters. Founded the organization in ‘08 and have built it up and directed it to this day with >2500 hours of volunteer service.
- Served as a unpaid uncertified medical assistant for a pain management doctor for 2 years, have a good LoR in order from the doc.
- Served as a paid uncertified medical assistant for a pediatrician for 1 year, consecutive with above MA job, and also have a good LoR in order from the doc.

I know that GPA and MCAT are crucial, how well do my ECs supplement my application? I hope that it wasn’t for nothing, if that makes sense. I know I want to pursue med, and gap years to me seems like time wasted. Thanks for your time and input!
Rising GPA trends are always good. Continue with that and you might not need post-bac or SMP. You will need DO schools on your list. Do NOT count on a high MCAT to salvage your GPAs.

So which activities that you listed do you feel best fit the description of "physician shadowing"? Can you name three or more professors who you have a strong enough relationship that they can write you some awesome letters of recommendation for anything (medical school, summer research program, job opportunity)?

So which activities that you listed do you feel best fit the description of "physician shadowing"? Can you name three or more professors who you have a strong enough relationship that they can write you some awesome letters of recommendation for anything (medical school, summer research program, job opportunity)?

I would say that my "physician shadowing" is covered by my three combined as an MA. I scribed for the doctor and soon after started taking medical history myself and vitals (kind of like what a nurse does before the doctor comes in). Under their supervision, I also administered IM vaccinations and other medications.

For LoRs, I have one professor, two physicians, and one fire chief.

I would say that my "physician shadowing" is covered by my three combined as an MA. I scribed for the doctor and soon after started taking medical history myself and vitals (kind of like what a nurse does before the doctor comes in). Under their supervision, I also administered IM vaccinations and other medications.

For LoRs, I have one professor, two physicians, and one fire chief.

So the MA work was paid employment and not volunteer? I would hope you got paid to do vaccinations. Just make sure you know how you delineate each of these experiences in your application.

Make sure you know the LOR requirements at the schools where you are applying, making sure they don't require two or more professor letters.