Pre-Med student, totally lost in this website...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yeargh

Pre-Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just started my pre-med courses at a university for undergrad education. I was accepted for PA but I switched to Biology because I thought that at the time, you couldnt study further from PA to become a MD, DO etc. I have many questions and if any moderaters are reading this post, if need be, please move this to where its appropriate if possible.
I am totally lost, everyone is giving so much different kinds of information, and I've been scouring SDN for the past 2 hours and I can't find a decent post that will help me understand the majority of my questions. Please, do not eat me, I'm totally freaking out about this and would appreciate help.

1) If I were in a PA program, do I take classes that are similar to premed courses? If I didn't and somehow managed to take the premed courses, can I take the MCATS during my PA time after completing the residency and whatnot for it?
2) For D.O and M.D, I really do not want to sound like a total noob, but from what I have read so far, M.D is in the most general way possible, easier than the D.O only because D.O take extra classes for more hands on approach? Which one is.."easier," from M.D to D.O?
3) What major is recommended, to be more acceptable to any med schools? I know that any biology etc related majors are less preferred since they are looking for more of a well interacted doctor.
4) If I were to become a doctor, which I wish already, does the background of the med school you went to matter at all? For payrolls and such?
5) What are the exact science of what the schools look for in a undergrad applicant to a med school? I've never heard of shadowing a physician and such until SDn, thank god, and now all the knowledge I've had prior to this forum is all lost. What classes besides premed should I take, ECs, community services and such in what form?
6) Lastly, right now as a person, I'm depressed, but am hopeful to becoming a doctor, which is incredibly ironic believe me...but the people I've met to ask these questions weren't able to in a way that I would be well with their knowledge. I am per say, B+, A- student if I tried a little bit, but right now I'm dealing with so much...sadness and such that I am doing a B in my courses, I am a freshman with a 3.35 from the first term and going to average a 3.5 this term if I try. How does freshman year impact on the application? If I just blossom at sophmore year doing ECs and such from then on, will that be significantly better? I plan on resting and fixing myself this term and summer.

I apologize sincerly for this post being so long and...maybe not make sense, but posters here in SDN is well cultured in such things, and this is my last hope for any kind of knowledge on medical school related topics. I want to be a doctor, generally a physician, but with so much people online being such...ridiculously biased people, I need a more well-rounded answer from a forum, such as this one to make a decision before it is too late for me. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have just started my pre-med courses at a university for undergrad education. I was accepted for PA but I switched to Biology because I thought that at the time, you couldnt study further from PA to become a MD, DO etc. I have many questions and if any moderaters are reading this post, if need be, please move this to where its appropriate if possible.
I am totally lost, everyone is giving so much different kinds of information, and I've been scouring SDN for the past 2 hours and I can't find a decent post that will help me understand the majority of my questions. Please, do not eat me, I'm totally freaking out about this and would appreciate help.

1) If I were in a PA program, do I take classes that are similar to premed courses? If I didn't and somehow managed to take the premed courses, can I take the MCATS during my PA time after completing the residency and whatnot for it?
2) For D.O and M.D, I really do not want to sound like a total noob, but from what I have read so far, M.D is in the most general way possible, easier than the D.O only because D.O take extra classes for more hands on approach? Which one is.."easier," from M.D to D.O?
3) What major is recommended, to be more acceptable to any med schools? I know that any biology etc related majors are less preferred since they are looking for more of a well interacted doctor.
4) If I were to become a doctor, which I wish already, does the background of the med school you went to matter at all? For payrolls and such?
5) What are the exact science of what the schools look for in a undergrad applicant to a med school? I've never heard of shadowing a physician and such until SDn, thank god, and now all the knowledge I've had prior to this forum is all lost. What classes besides premed should I take, ECs, community services and such in what form?
6) Lastly, right now as a person, I'm depressed, but am hopeful to becoming a doctor, which is incredibly ironic believe me...but the people I've met to ask these questions weren't able to in a way that I would be well with their knowledge. I am per say, B+, A- student if I tried a little bit, but right now I'm dealing with so much...sadness and such that I am doing a B in my courses, I am a freshman with a 3.35 from the first term and going to average a 3.5 this term if I try. How does freshman year impact on the application? If I just blossom at sophmore year doing ECs and such from then on, will that be significantly better? I plan on resting and fixing myself this term and summer.

I apologize sincerly for this post being so long and...maybe not make sense, but posters here in SDN is well cultured in such things, and this is my last hope for any kind of knowledge on medical school related topics. I want to be a doctor, generally a physician, but with so much people online being such...ridiculously biased people, I need a more well-rounded answer from a forum, such as this one to make a decision before it is too late for me. Thank you.

To begin with, by PA do you mean phassian assistant ( shall leave the typo in, so that people can laugh at the fact I can't even spell what I want to be:smuggrin:)? If you do, that is a graduate school program and something that you would do instead of becoming a MD.
1) Become a PA or a Doctor, don't do both.
2) They are basically the same. The education you receive for the most part is the exact same. DOs have a few additional classes to take. MD is generally regarded as the more prestigious degree, but both schools yield excellent doctors. You don't really need to worry about the difference until it comes time to reply.
3)Does not matter at all.
4) No.
5)Google this.
6. I would suggest not being depressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have just started my pre-med courses at a university for undergrad education. I was accepted for pa but i switched to biology because i thought that at the time, you couldnt study further from pa to become a md, do etc. I have many questions and if any moderaters are reading this post, if need be, please move this to where its appropriate if possible.
I am totally lost, everyone is giving so much different kinds of information, and i've been scouring sdn for the past 2 hours and i can't find a decent post that will help me understand the majority of my questions. Please, do not eat me, i'm totally freaking out about this and would appreciate help.

1) if i were in a pa program, do i take classes that are similar to premed courses? If i didn't and somehow managed to take the premed courses, can i take the mcats during my pa time after completing the residency and whatnot for it?
yes, your classes for pa school will almost be the same as pre-med. However if your saying inside the PA program itself then no. In a PA program you cover basic sciences in less time and spend your time primarily doing clinical. You also shouldn't be wasting your money doing a PA program ( 80k debt) just so you can go into medical school later and get more debt. Its frankly stupid, do one and stick with it.
2) for d.o and m.d, i really do not want to sound like a total noob, but from what i have read so far, m.d is in the most general way possible, easier than the d.o only because d.o take extra classes for more hands on approach? Which one is.."easier," from m.d to d.o?
are you talking about omm? Or are you asking if do's need to take other classes?
3) what major is recommended, to be more acceptable to any med schools? I know that any biology etc related majors are less preferred since they are looking for more of a well interacted doctor.
any major that interest you, may it be underwater basket making or astro-physics.
4) if i were to become a doctor, which i wish already, does the background of the med school you went to matter at all? For payrolls and such?
no, it mostly depends on your residency and what specialty you went into.
5) what are the exact science of what the schools look for in a undergrad applicant to a med school? I've never heard of shadowing a physician and such until sdn, thank god, and now all the knowledge i've had prior to this forum is all lost. What classes besides premed should i take, ecs, community services and such in what form?
what? Umm take ones you think will help for the mcat. (molecular/genetics and biochem are big ones)
6) lastly, right now as a person, i'm depressed, but am hopeful to becoming a doctor, which is incredibly ironic believe me...but the people i've met to ask these questions weren't able to in a way that i would be well with their knowledge. I am per say, b+, a- student if i tried a little bit, but right now i'm dealing with so much...sadness and such that i am doing a b in my courses, i am a freshman with a 3.35 from the first term and going to average a 3.5 this term if i try. How does freshman year impact on the application? If i just blossom at sophmore year doing ecs and such from then on, will that be significantly better? I plan on resting and fixing myself this term and summer.
..... Ok.. Good for you, your sad because of a b in some class... Must suck to be you, because b's are the new f right?

i apologize sincerly for this post being so long and...maybe not make sense, but posters here in sdn is well cultured in such things, and this is my last hope for any kind of knowledge on medical school related topics. I want to be a doctor, generally a physician, but with so much people online being such...ridiculously biased people, i need a more well-rounded answer from a forum, such as this one to make a decision before it is too late for me. Thank you.
search function is your friend. Also writing a bit more coherently is a plus. I felt like you were struggling with a few things while writing this, may that be stress or multitasking. Anyways welcome to sdn, a paradise for pre-health students.

:hungover:

the first thing you need to remember is that google is your best friend...i can guarantee you every person truely looking for factual answers finds them through google...this forum is generally for more opinionated or personal information and questions and it helps us all relate to each other because we are all going through the same process, although many times, good data is posted.

1)...i have no clue...if you want to be a doctor and you know this already, why go to PA school?
2)...D.O. schools are generally looked at as easier to get into...thats all i know
3)no major is recommended. your supposed to do something "that you enjoy"...the reason you find that lower amounts of science majors are accepted than other majors is because many people in science majors commit to medical school and find themselves applying desperately with inferior stats...so major in what you like and get a good gpa...take all of your pre reqs in a timely fashion
4)what? im gunna go with no...
5)SEARCH!!!...good grades, good mcat scores, volunteering, research, shadowing physicians, leadership roles, involvement on campus, etc...you want to be involved and become a well-rounded person...you also want to mature and developea somewhat extroverted personality because medical professionals should be able to deal with people well
6)...all i can say is that everyone deals with depression, epecially die-hard premeds who spend all their time working on their resume...you have to dig down deep inside and build self-confidence...when you say you can only get a 3.5 this semester it makes me feel like you dont have the motivation to make the 3.8-4.0 that you should be gunning for

ill try and elaborate later

LOL @ the bold part. Please don't think I'm being mean, but I think you need to do a lot more research on your own (try your career center) before you expect a whole lot of individual help here. My main impression from your post is that you need to figure out if you want to be a PA or a physician. Go to the career center, shadow both professions, do what you need to do to figure it out. The PA is basically the "right hand man" to many physicians, and can operate pretty independently on some services (i.e. emergency medicine, but you're usually stuck doing a lot of fast track stuff).

With that said, I'm going to totally condradict myself and try to give you a few answers.

1) I have no idea what a PA curriculum is like. Look up the curriculum yourself, you can do it, I have faith. Similarly, I have no idea if you will have time to take the MCAT during your "PA residency" because I don't know anything about PA education. Sorry, but again, go ahead and look up the PA curriculum. The MCAT will require several months of intense study to do well. It could be compared to taking another science course.

2) MD = DO as far as ease of learning. They learn the same medicine, except DOs also learn osteopathic manipulative medicine, ways of diagnosing and treating various problems by using your hands to palpate and manipulate the body. I'm not a medical student yet, but I don't think it's really that big of a deal. Many DOs don't even end up using it that much due to specialties that don't really call for it. The main difference here is that the DO tradition is a newer tradition, therefore they get less attention and it's a little easier to get in. Many people think "Doctor = MD," so they apply to MD schools. The "stats" on DO admissions are also skewed by the fact that many non-traditional applicants, including nurses, PAs, NPs, paramedics, chiropracters, etc, are accepted to DO school on the basis of their demonstrated ability - not neccessarily their undergraduate grades (which may have been earned 15+ years ago). I strongly urge you to apply to DO schools if and when you decide to apply to medical school. There are still some old fogies and young pompous dolts who look down on DOs. You can decide whether to care or not.

3) Take any major you want, really. It doesn't matter. Just do well and ace the pre-reqs.

4) I'm assuming here that you're asking whether or not the "name" or "prestige" of med school matters when it's time to find a job - residency. The consensus seems to be that it matters a little bit, mostly if you came from a really well-known school. Some residency programs directors may be swayed a little or prefer certain school to others. However, for the most part, don't base your decisions on this. And seriously - it's wayyy to early to even be thinking about.

5) Again, take the classes you want in addition to the pre-reqs. Your GPA and science GPA are the most important, and of course your performance on the MCAT. Secondly, you need to prove that you care about other people and that you WANT this. Volunteer wherever you want, but get clinical experience also. Of course, if you can volunteer at a clinical site, that would be helpful. I highly recommend you do something to get your hands wet, so to speak. Get a job that requires you to touch a patient. As far as ECs, pick something you love and demonstrate leadership. There's no magic formula. You need to prove you are dedicated to medicine, mature, responsible and experienced in the field (somewhat). Try to do something unique.

6) Don't plan on ECs making up for your GPA. You have time to pick that GPA up. I fully understand being depressed. In two years of undergrad, I watched my boyfriend try to commit suicide and my father was arrested. I know this sounds harsh, but nobody cares. No member of an adcom wants to hear a sob-story to make up for a GPA. Work your @ss off, and show them you can do anything. Write "I'm doing this so I can be a doctor" on post it notes and put it on your alarm clock, on your mirror, whatever! You can do it. It's hard work, not rocket science :)

As the above posted said, become a PA or a doctor, not both. Both are routes to getting into medicine, but a PA is not a stepping stone to becoming a doctor. Just get a bachelor's degree (and a PA is a master's degree, not a bachelor's degree), then apply to med school.

Technically, you could take the MCAT while doing your PA residency, but when you go to med school interviews, they'll want to know why you want to switch.

DO is easier to get in terms of admissions, because they have lower standards for scores (GPA and MCAT). Both are doctors, though, and the vast majority of your patients aren't going to know the difference between the letters. DO school has a different type of curriculum than MD school, in that they specifically teach a holistic approach and also learn to do manipulations. It's not a matter of taking more classes, it's just a different curriculum. Both are going to be hard.

Med schools don't care what you major in. Honestly. Statistically speaking, an English major has a higher chance of getting in than a biology major, simply because more biology majors apply. You do need to show that you're a well-rounded person, but just having a non-science major isn't going to show that. Your extracurricular activities will.

No. And the type of pay you get depends entirely on the type of practice you participate in, whether it's private, group, or hospital-based.

There is no magical formula that we can tell you so that you can get into medical school. You need to take the prereq classes, which are a year of bio, a year of chem, a year of organic chem, and a year of physics, all with labs. Some schools require biochem and English as well. I recommend taking a pysch class as well.

You need to know what you're getting into, and be able to articulate what you expect out of your career. The best way to do that is to shadow a doc to see what he/she does on a daily basis. You can also work in some medical setting and get that idea.

Many people will tell you to do research. I got in without it, but I have absolutely no interest in doing research for a living. I want to be a pediatrician. Volunteering in SOMETHING shows that you're willing to give back to the community. You should show some sort of leadership experience, since doctors are leaders of their communities.

There's no specific set of guidelines you need to follow, just suggestions. Do what you love, and you'll find a way to work it into your application.

Dude, you're a freshman, and you have a B+ average. Chill out, get your act together, and try to bring up your GPA. If you don't, it's not going to kill you. That's about the average for med students.

1. Were you in a BS/MS PA program or one of the few BS ones left? Either way there's no sense becoming a PA if you want to become an MD, IMO.

2. DO programs are easier to get into, but they are basically the same as MD programs once you're in. It is slightly harder to get into an allopathic residency after.

3. Do what you love. That might be the root of your depression right there. Do what fulfills you as a person...

4. Nope

5. A lot of people become a CNA or EMT for medical experience. You should look at the market in your area. It's very easy to volunteer as a CNA or EMT, but some areas have less actual jobs for EMTs vs. CNAs. Or vice versa. Otherwise, shadowing is good and volunteering can be anywhere, it doesn't have to be in a hospital or clinic.

6. Keep your head up :) I suggest trying to see a psychiatrist for the depression. Do you get health insurance through your school? Rest is good, relaxation is good, but there's no shame in medication if you need that.

Premed courses are NOT typically the same as PA courses (possibly prePA courses). Minimum premed courses are 1 year each of general biology, general chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry all with labs. There are also math and English requirements too, but I am not sure what the current expectations are. Fine details vary by school (i.e. which upper level science courses are required).

There are tons of threads on this site regarding the DO and MD comparison, see them. Basically, harder to get into MD programs, DO programs do have extra training for muscular manipulation.

For most programs, it doesn't matter what your degree is as long as you have completed their prerequisites. Earn a degree in what you enjoy.

To some extent. Just like in life, if you are successful, you can generally make your own path (i.e. I go to an average medical school and I am being pursued by my top 5 residency programs because I took extra measures to be successful).

Keep looking at SDN. This is answered in 93.2% of all posts.

Upward trends in performance are viewed positively, but obviously the highest MCAT score and GPA you can muster up, the better your chances. This is also a common topic on SDN.

On another note, take care of yourself. This process is stressful for several years, I would recommend going into this with a strong base.

I hope some of this helps.

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

internet_map_glowing.jpg

I've never even heard of a PA program that granted a bachelors degree. From what I've studied they are all Masters programs. So I don't know what you are talking about. Are you saying that your major is "Pre-Physician Assistant?" Because that is not a real major. You don't get a degree that says "Pre-Physician Assistant."

Do not start a Masters program to become a Physician Assistant if you want to become a doctor. Pick one or the other. Do not do both. It is a waste of time and a waste of money.

And just so you know... the name of the test is "the MCAT." Don't call it "the MCATS." It sounds kind of silly when people say "the MCATS."

Being a PA counts for clinical experience--AND NOT MUCH ELSE.

I've never even heard of a PA program that granted a bachelors degree. From what I've studied they are all Masters programs. So I don't know what you are talking about. Are you saying that your major is "Pre-Physician Assistant?" Because that is not a real major. You don't get a degree that says "Pre-Physician Assistant."

Do not start a Masters program to become a Physician Assistant if you want to become a doctor. Pick one or the other. Do not do both. It is a waste of time and a waste of money.

And just so you know... the name of the test is "the MCAT." Don't call it "the MCATS." It sounds kind of silly when people say "the MCATS."

FYI: some PA programs from long ago were a 4-year bachelors degree. As you stated this is no longer the case.

FYI: some PA programs from long ago were a 4-year bachelors degree. As you stated this is no longer the case.

Actually there are still some bachelors programs around. However, it does seem like they are being phased out fast.

Actually there are still some bachelors programs around. However, it does seem like they are being phased out fast.

I stand corrected (I thought they were all gone). It has followed the path of many health professions that now require more education than they used to (Pharm: BS to doctorate, Nurse practitioner: masters to doctorate, audiology: master to doctorate, etc.).

I stand corrected (I thought they were all gone). It has followed the path of many health professions that now require more education than they used to (Pharm: BS to doctorate, Nurse practitioner: masters to doctorate, audiology: master to doctorate, etc.).

True. I was actually thinking of only a couple off of the top of my head that were still bachelors programs. One is the University of Washington, which I think is switching to masters in a year or two. Plus, they require two years of paid experience to even get your foot in the door.