pre med study music?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the latest album by better than ezra is really awesome. you all should try it. i just downloaded it earlier, and its gettin me through studying for my two midterms(biochem 2 and physical chem). what are you all listening to?

Members don't see this ad.

Music always distracts me from studying..

UCDavisdude said:
the latest album by better than ezra is really awesome. you all should try it. i just downloaded it earlier, and its gettin me through studying for my two midterms(biochem 2 and physical chem). what are you all listening to?

Better than Ezra's new album is good. :) My favorite single off "Before the Robots" is "Our Last Night"..

But you were gonna be a doctor, movie star
A poet at a Nobel seminar
I hope the world never tore that out of you

I know we're probably part of a minority who listen to music while studying though. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dvorak's Cello Concerto in B minor. A masterpiece.

I personally liked to bust out some Pantera

Michael Buble

mercaptovizadeh said:
Dvorak's Cello Concerto in B minor. A masterpiece.

Bach's cello suites played by Yo-Yo Ma :thumbup:
My husband is partial to Tchaikovsky, but he'll listen to anything, from the classic rock radio station to the country music station to my Beatles, Paul Simon, old 60's/70's mix CDs, and especially anything classical.

Personally I can't really listen to music when I study because it's distracting. I can listen to Bach's cello suites, though. I've been listening to them while studying since I was about 12 or 13 and at this point it's part of my brain that when I hear them I focus on what I'm doing.

I can't study without music.. R&B, John Mayer, Zero7

If you need to pump yourself up--Don't Stop Me Now by Queen!

Usually I don't listen to music while studying. However, sometimes I get this ADHD mentality and can't focus on anything.

Then, it helps to listen to something soft with lots of music. I like Moby, Lifehouse and have a piano-only classic rock CD. :)

Northern Exposure by Digweed and Sasha, and the last 2 albums by Soundgarden.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listen to anything by Yo-Yo Ma, lyrical music gives me a sort of ADD while I study.

bach, mozart, chopin...the usual

Orpheus333 said:
I listen to anything by Yo-Yo Ma, lyrical music gives me a sort of ADD while I study.

bach, mozart, chopin...the usual

yay! :love:

Techno and trance for me

0T6 said:
I can't study without music..
I can't study without it either, but I need music without lyrics - jazz or instrumental hip-hop or something just esoteric and freaky. or just hip-hop built on some dope breaks. or something. I don't know.

snapdad said:
Iron Maiden :horns: :D :horns:

Rules :D

Children of Bodom and Helloween as well hahah

Buena Vista Social Club
Diz-N-Bird (Gillespe and Parker)

this is embarrassing, but i used to study while watching "scarface" on constant loop. if i wanted a study break, i would just look at the t.v. for a few minutes.

otherwise, i'd usually study either sans music or to sublime (usually 2nd hand smoke) to drown out the neighbors.

any deep house or idm (telefon tel aviv)
classical radio stations
radiohead
sigur ros
broken social scene
notwist

this topic has been beaten to death *whap*

gdbaby said:
Diz-N-Bird (Gillespe and Parker)
Whoo! Jazz! Finally someone else who likes jazz. So, have you heard monk and trane at carnegie hall? In '57, after trane was kicked out of miles davis' quartet for heroin use, he cleaned himself up and went to play with monk for 6 months in NYC. There were like 4 recordings of six months of dates (mostly because of record label disputes. boooo!) but VOA recorded a charity show at carnegie hall in november of '57. Then they hid it. Why, I'll never know... But earlier this year someone found the masters in the library of congress and blue note cleaned it up and just released it and it's fantastic. Not that I condone stealing but if you want some mp3s.... you know, just to, uh, try it out.
That's all.

desiredusername said:
Whoo! Jazz! Finally someone else who likes jazz. So, have you heard monk and trane at carnegie hall? In '57, after trane was kicked out of miles davis' quartet for heroin use, he cleaned himself up and went to play with monk for 6 months in NYC. There were like 4 recordings of six months of dates (mostly because of record label disputes. boooo!) but VOA recorded a charity show at carnegie hall in november of '57. Then they hid it. Why, I'll never know... But earlier this year someone found the masters in the library of congress and blue note cleaned it up and just released it and it's fantastic. Not that I condone stealing but if you want some mp3s.... you know, just to, uh, try it out.
That's all.

ye speaketh with verity.

desiredusername said:
That's all.
What's the secret code word for "hell yeah I want to try it out"? I have several Monk CD's and a few Coltrane's but nothing of the two together!

gdbaby said:
What's the secret code word for "hell yeah I want to try it out"?
Oh, damn, you knew the code! I've uploaded a zip archive. All of the songs on the album are in there. It's free to download from this site. You don't have to register or anything so it's not like I'm setting you up to have the FBI come and knock on your door. I'm not sending you viruses or anything, so don't worry about that. Well, me saying I'm not is sort of empty, but I'm not. Trust me, I have an avatar of an angry black man on the telephone. Later he will be smiling. Isn't that enough for you?
Anyway, go here andclick on "download now". http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=34AXFZ1MSD73H0Q7J329G9MZXN
I'm not going to do this anymore, though. Because frankly, there are more appropriate channels for stealing music. enjoy.

Nikki2002 said:
damn--i love "dance dance"
my personal favs of fall out boy are "pros and cons of breathing" and"my heart is the worst kind of weapon"..

PressingOn said:
Better than Ezra's new album is good. :) My favorite single off "Before the Robots" is "Our Last Night"..

But you were gonna be a doctor, movie star
A poet at a Nobel seminar
I hope the world never tore that out of you

I know we're probably part of a minority who listen to music while studying though. :laugh:
special is my fav track

sigur ros
blockhead
boards of canada
fourtet
royksopp

all sans lyrics (for the most part). damn i love music threads.
-mota

edit: nm, rokysopp's got a lot of lyrics. still good.

DaMota said:
sigur ros
blockhead
boards of canada
fourtet
royksopp

all sans lyrics (for the most part). damn i love music threads.
-mota

edit: nm, rokysopp's got a lot of lyrics. still good.
blockhead? you know you love so much better instrumental hip-hop. rjd2, dj shadow, diplo, prefuse 73.... don't get me wrong, blockhead's production for aesop rock is always dope.

desiredusername said:
blockhead? you know you love so much better instrumental hip-hop. rjd2, dj shadow, diplo, prefuse 73.... don't get me wrong, blockhead's production for aesop rock is always dope.

i'm a big fan of all 4 of them. i've seen all of them spin live too and they've all blown me away (shadow especially, but i was on certain...uhh... never mind not going there). aes rock is the illest though, put on one of the best shows i've ever been to in LA this past summer.
i was just listing **** i've been listening to recently though. respek.

edit: i'm seeing rjd2/lyrics born sunday. any berkeley heads interested should get tickets at ticketweb.com. its at the pauley ballroom. holler.
-mota

nebrfan said:
I personally liked to bust out some Pantera
That is what I'm talking about...F'ing hostile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :horns:

anyone else listening to journey??

doesn't classical music help you do better?

off the top of my head... ratatat, caribou, american analog set, mogwai, kinsky, pavement, echo & the bunnymen

i'll think of more later.

tigress said:
Bach's cello suites played by Yo-Yo Ma :thumbup:
My husband is partial to Tchaikovsky, but he'll listen to anything, from the classic rock radio station to the country music station to my Beatles, Paul Simon, old 60's/70's mix CDs, and especially anything classical.

Personally I can't really listen to music when I study because it's distracting. I can listen to Bach's cello suites, though. I've been listening to them while studying since I was about 12 or 13 and at this point it's part of my brain that when I hear them I focus on what I'm doing.

hooray for the cello suites! i'd add that to my list. cellos are sexy.

DaMota said:
fourtet
-mota
yo, peep fourtet and koushik's remix of madvillainy. It's just craziness that they unleashed on japan.

fourtet music was in a nike commercial

Anyone else like music that no one else has heard of?

Eros Ramazzotti - awesome italian pop singer
Deep Forest - spectacular world fusion
Habib Koite - from Mali amazing vocals
Anggun - what a voice, french
Ivan Kupala - russian folk with awesome beats
Matisyahu - the rapping hassidic jew
Nitin Sawhney - amazing electronic, world beat, sampling
Vusi Mahlasela - south african, high pitch voice, amazing
Mafikizolo - south african kwaito
Bravo - south african rap

My friends just give me weird looks. There is so many kinds of music its amazing! I don't care much for lyrics, so whatever language its in is fine with me.

ditto on ratatat.
-mota

G G G G G Unit

Mos Def, Talib Kweli, T.I. ... what can I say? I'm an upbeat kinda gal.

Thanks for the tunes, desired. I will be listening to this whilst I create my PPT presentation on the synthesis of a 9,10-pentacosadiene pheromone found in scarab beetles. Trust me, it's a compliment.