Pre-Med.. switching to Pre-dental and Art Major?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macattack375

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a Biochem major for the past two years. I will be a Junior this upcoming Fall. Last Spring, I realized I had no passion in the pursuit of becoming a doctor and always found myself thinking about the possibility of art while studying.. The pressure, competitiveness, and pre-med cutthroat peers in my classes made me grow bitter toward science. This summer I have taken a break from anything science related and took two art classes. I really enjoyed them and have leaned more and more towards studying Art as my major.. This past month, I have realized that I could combine my passion for art with science and pursue dentistry!

I have taken a majority of the pre-reqs required for most dental schools. My overall GPA is a 3.81 and my Math/Science GPA is a 3.69.

My question is whether or not I should continue on my Biochem track or switch to an Art Major (Graphic Design).

I'm concerned about staying a Biochem major due to the chances of lowering my GPA. I would have to balance however many science classes a semester with also getting shadowing and volunteer work done. (I have yet to acquire any adequate hours these past two years due to family situations.) I don't want to burn out. As a Graphic Design major, I would be able to pursue what I'm more interested in and most definitely have an easier time keeping my GPA up. I would stand out in the sea of the bio/chem applicants as well as get skills working with my hands. I'd be able to focus more on studying for the DAT and getting higher grades in my remaining pre-reqs instead of attempting to balance a bunch of science classes at one time. With this major change, I would have to take at least one more year of schooling as well as many summer classes.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Well believe it or not, dentistry is related to art in a way.. Reshaping a tooth after a filling, and things like that requires an artistic touch. That's something that I've learned through shadowing. As for switching your major, if you would love it, then do it. However, it may take you longer to graduate, but if that doesn't matter to you then do it. But realize that if you switch to art there are still lots of science courses you will need to take as far as requirements and recommended classes (some schools require biochem, microbiology, etc).

So if you're cool with the extra time it may take, and are confident you would be more happy doing an art major, i'd say go for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have the option of minoring in art? I was in a similar situation as yours, and I made the decision to keep my bio major and minor in art.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are more comfortable with art major then go for it. But if I were you I'd make sure I learn all the prerequisite courses well so that there is at least some science foundation (or dental school will be even more of a struggle than it already is ^^). And keeping your GPA up is a wise move so I think you're making a good decision for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm all for supporting people to follow their passion and switch to the major they desire, but since you're going to be a junior, you've already accomplished so much under the biochem major. I would suggest what hi_everyone stated, if it's possible: minoring in art. However, if you really are disliking biochemistry and minoring in art isn't an option, keep in mind that art can also be a time consuming major in a different way, so balancing shadowing and volunteering may not be all that easy as you may think. I can't speak for graphic design, but I had art major friends who were also actively involved in ECs/volunteering who had long nights finishing their pieces, so if you're willing to work after midnight to include everything else (unless you're a quick worker, but I doubt someone who's artistic is ever quick with their work since we tend to be perfectionists with detail lol), then I say go for it! I wish I could've minored or double majored in art myself, but I wanted to graduate in four years and didn't have the room to include the required classes in addition to being a bio --> psych major while taking science courses.

I've been a Biochem major for the past two years. I will be a Junior this upcoming Fall. Last Spring, I realized I had no passion in the pursuit of becoming a doctor and always found myself thinking about the possibility of art while studying.. The pressure, competitiveness, and pre-med cutthroat peers in my classes made me grow bitter toward science. This summer I have taken a break from anything science related and took two art classes. I really enjoyed them and have leaned more and more towards studying Art as my major.. This past month, I have realized that I could combine my passion for art with science and pursue dentistry!

I have taken a majority of the pre-reqs required for most dental schools. My overall GPA is a 3.81 and my Math/Science GPA is a 3.69.

My question is whether or not I should continue on my Biochem track or switch to an Art Major (Graphic Design).

I'm concerned about staying a Biochem major due to the chances of lowering my GPA. I would have to balance however many science classes a semester with also getting shadowing and volunteer work done. (I have yet to acquire any adequate hours these past two years due to family situations.) I don't want to burn out. As a Graphic Design major, I would be able to pursue what I'm more interested in and most definitely have an easier time keeping my GPA up. I would stand out in the sea of the bio/chem applicants as well as get skills working with my hands. I'd be able to focus more on studying for the DAT and getting higher grades in my remaining pre-reqs instead of attempting to balance a bunch of science classes at one time. With this major change, I would have to take at least one more year of schooling as well as many summer classes.

Thoughts?

Ha, i'm actually trying to do the opposite of what you're doing! I'm a graphic and web design major and I am currently a lower junior transfer. I am still debating if I should get into Biomedical Informatics after my degree or just do an informal post-bacc. The major is definitely easy to keep your GPA up, but you definitely need to make sure you have had your pre-reqs done / listed for Dental School so you don't waste any time. If you can minor, I think that would be your fastest and smarter route. Design definitely takes a toll on your body, mind, and time in a whole other way. You'll stay up doing projects, perfecting every little thing. But if it's your passion, you wouldn't mind any of that. The end result of your projects make you happy and proud of yourself - at least for me they do, lol. Also, if your tuition is covered by financial aid, make sure you ask the FA office if switching majors (or minoring) will affect it any way. The 4-yr I am in now doesn't allow minors so if we are eligible for financial aid, we would have to finish one major at a time (my previous 4-yr allowed major/minor ._. I should've stayed). If you're paying out of pocket, then do you want to pay extra? Make a table and create an outline of both degrees to see the pros and cons of it all. That's what I did. Definitely make sure you are aware with the financial aid aspect, dental school requirements and whether or not you are down to take [x] amount of extra classes for [x] more semesters for design.

Being an art major will not hurt you in the least with your GPA and science background. Go for it if it makes you enjoy undergrad more.

Can you get A+s in art? I'm all for doing what you love, but you also need to be pragmatic. Its a lot easier to ace a multiple choice test (I believe)

Can you get A+s in art? I'm all for doing what you love, but you also need to be pragmatic. Its a lot easier to ace a multiple choice test (I believe)

Yeah but in dental school you are judged and graded subjectively as well as objectively. An art background would prepare you for that.

Reactions: 1 user