Pre-Med to BSN to Pre-PA to Pre-Med (again)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuroangel

Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize for the long post in advance! I have been lurking on studentdoctor for a while, but this is the first time I will be mustering up the courage to post. As the title states, when I first decided to go to college (at the ripe age of 18), I was a pre-med major. I always knew I wanted to be a doctor, but then life hit me like a ton of bricks. I lived two hours away from the nearest medical school and I did not have a car. My husband--boyfriend at the time--was my only means of transportation. How was I going to be able to pay for medical school? Was I even good enough to become a doctor? Several thoughts ran through my mind and I decided to switch to nursing instead. I love healthcare and knowing that I could help people brought me so much joy.

Fast forward four (grueling) years later, and I received my BSN. I now live 19 mins from the nearest medical school and I work at a children's hospital (two years this year!). I knew someday that I would want to increase my knowledge and working as an RN opened doors for me. My first year on the job, I started looking at PA schools. I was familiar with it during nursing school so I felt like that would be an awesome field to go in. I made up my mind and started working on my harder sciences with the help of tuition reimbursement at my job.

While on this journey, I kept having a what if moment. I want to know more and being a physician would give me the most knowledge of pathophysiology. One of my favorite classes in nursing school was pathophysiology (although it was not in-depth). My husband has been very supportive of my goals in life since we were in high school. He is very blunt and told me to go for medical school thus, I have reverted back to my original plan. I have extra classes to take, and I am perfectly fine with it. I am just afraid that I will not be a competitive candidate. The GPA averages are so much higher than my own. I have a 3.72 overall and a 3.95 in the sciences. I still have to take gen chem, organic chemistry, physics II, and biochemistry since nursing school did not require those classes. I am also 24 years old and I would love to have a family one day. Since I am starting pre-med so late in my life, I wonder if I will ever get the chance to have a family.

I apologize for the long post. I would appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

What it comes to being competitive, your gpa is good. You’ll still have to take those prerequisites and see how it goes and then the MCAT and ace that. Only then you can know if you’re competitive/where you’re competitive.

When it comes to family, shadow physicians and use google to make a proper decision on what’s acceptable for you as a lifestyle. It really differs depending on what career you’ll follow. A surgeon and a family physician won’t have the same lifestyle during training and after.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

JeSuisUnDoc,

Thank you so much for your reply! When studying for the MCAT, is it wise to start studying the subjects that you have already completed or should I wait until I have completed all my prerequisites to begin studying? I am very nervous as I get really bad test anxiety and feel like I am not preparing early enough. Technically, I have two years before I complete all my prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still have to take gen chem, organic chemistry, physics II, and biochemistry since nursing school did not require those classes.

You may need to check the science courses you did take. Often the bio and physics taken for nursing are not the same ones for premeds.

Also, you mention a med school near your home. It would be awesome to be accepted there, but what if you’re accepted to a med school hours away or in another state?

Reactions: 1 user
JeSuisUnDoc,

Thank you so much for your reply! When studying for the MCAT, is it wise to start studying the subjects that you have already completed or should I wait until I have completed all my prerequisites to begin studying? I am very nervous as I get really bad test anxiety and feel like I am not preparing early enough. Technically, I have two years before I complete all my prerequisites.

You should complete all your prerequisites first. Then you can take an MCAT preparation course.

I myself and 24 years old, a veteran and about to start my third year of my BSN. I've realized that medicine is what I truly want. If I change majors now I could save myself the year after nursing school of having to take extra classes. I could prepare myself to go into med school post-graduation if everything goes well. If you were in my shoes, would you change your major midway through your BSN or would you make the same decision twice?

You may need to check the science courses you did take. Often the bio and physics taken for nursing are not the same ones for premeds.

Also, you mention a med school near your home. It would be awesome to be accepted there, but what if you’re accepted to a med school hours away or in another state?
Before nursing school, I was a biology major. I took biology courses for science majors. I would love to be accepted in the medical school close by(since it is the only med school in the state), but if it comes to going out of state I will have to move. It is not ideal, but my husband and I will have to make the necessary changes. The issue at hand is selling our home.

I myself and 24 years old, a veteran and about to start my third year of my BSN. I've realized that medicine is what I truly want. If I change majors now I could save myself the year after nursing school of having to take extra classes. I could prepare myself to go into med school post-graduation if everything goes well. If you were in my shoes, would you change your major midway through your BSN or would you make the same decision twice?

That is a good question. I think I would still make the same decision again. I like to complete things and I always believe the saying, "you will not know unless you try." I believe my nursing experience will be irreplaceable and possibly help me to be a stronger clinician. Also, I like that I have a decent wage in order to save for medical school. But in all honesty USMCveteranstudent, you have to do what makes you happy. If medicine is what you really want to do then do it. Now if I was not in my third year of nursing school and just started college, then I would pursue medicine and not go through nursing school.

Late in your life... hah. I'm 31.

Devildog, I recommend you finish your BSN now. Nice to be making good money while premed.