Pre-Med to Pre-Vet, going back to my original dream!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinejourneys

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay let me give a back story...
I am a sophomore Biology/Chemistry major and when I originally came to my current university, I was labelled as Pre-Vet. After some negative experiences volunteering at the shelter and a bad Zoology professor, I ultimately switched to Pre-Med, I did this really because I was having a hard time finding experience and everyone discouraged me with how competitive it is to get into Veterinary school. I have been thinking a lot about going back to being Pre-Vet, so much so, that it keeps me up at night because I think that I am making the wrong decision to not follow Vet Med.

I have medical experience as a Medical Scribe in the Emergency Department (around 600 hours)
I have around 100 hours of volunteering in an animal shelter.
I also have volunteer hours through my church serving the homeless. I am also a worship leader for my church.
I am also starting a research project next semester.
My cGPA is a 3.7 and my sGPA is around a 3.6

My in-state and dream school is Michigan State for reference.

What steps can I take to get back on the Pre-Vet track? It is quite hard to get experience working alongside a Vet or even shadow in my area, but I am looking into being a Vet Assistant or work at a Doggy Daycare.
I know I need to get shadowing hours up and I am going to look into it but I do not know any Vets personally so it has been a little difficult.
What are good Pre-Vet jobs to have that are easy to obtain? How can I make my resume stand out to Vet Schools? Are there DVM/PhD programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I was having a hard time finding experience and everyone discouraged me with how competitive it is to get into Veterinary school.

Human med is just as competitive as vet school, just as an FYI. According to the pre-allo threads, only 40% of human med applicants get an acceptance. In vet med, there have been about 7000 applicants for 3200 spots the last couple of years. So competition is the concern, it goes both ways.

What are good Pre-Vet jobs to have that are easy to obtain? How can I make my resume stand out to Vet Schools?

Vet experience will be essential, not just for the application, but to make sure this is the path for you. Theres a lot of advantages that human med has compared to vet med, most notably the significant difference in financial security.

Any position in a vet clinic is a good place to start. Express your interest in becoming a veterinarian and be honest that you would like to get to know the medicine side of things. To find a vet assistant position, I made a list of all the vet clinics within a 20 mile radius of my house and then took my resume to the first 20 or so of them. Got two positions that week. Gained 1200 hours in one summer.

Are there DVM/PhD programs?

There are! At least at my school, the application is separate at first for the DVM/PhD program. You do the first year or two of thebDVM program, then switch over to PhD. After the PhD, you then join whichever class is in the 2nd or 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a sophomore Biology/Chemistry major and when I originally came to my current university, I was labelled as Pre-Vet. After some negative experiences volunteering at the shelter and a bad Zoology professor, I ultimately switched to Pre-Med, I did this really because I was having a hard time finding experience and everyone discouraged me with how competitive it is to get into Veterinary school. I have been thinking a lot about going back to being Pre-Vet, so much so, that it keeps me up at night because I think that I am making the wrong decision to not follow Vet Med.

I have medical experience as a Medical Scribe in the Emergency Department (around 600 hours)
I also have volunteer hours through my church serving the homeless. I am also a worship leader for my church.

What steps can I take to get back on the Pre-Vet track? It is quite hard to get experience working alongside a Vet or even shadow in my area, but I am looking into being a Vet Assistant or work at a Doggy Daycare.
I know I need to get shadowing hours up and I am going to look into it but I do not know any Vets personally so it has been a little difficult.
What are good Pre-Vet jobs to have that are easy to obtain? How can I make my resume stand out to Vet Schools? Are there DVM/PhD programs?

What makes you think that pre-med is the wrong track? If you dislike any portion of it other than physically practicing on humans, you’ll find the veterinary medicine is the same. You’re still thinking the same way about diagnostics, you’re still spending 95% of your time talking with clients/owners rather than spending time with animals, you’re still working incredibly long hours and going through a grueling educational process to mold you into a doctor. You will also be graduating with more debt and a lower projected income than a human doctor, and you will be dealing with more financial constraints for treatment options. The benefits if working in the field are completely subjective for each individual, and sometimes not enough to justify the costs/headaches. If you could ever possibly be happy in human med, stick with that.

If you still want to stick with vet med, I’d strongly suggest working as a vet assistant for at least 6 months to decide if you really want to pursue the field. It’s concerning to me, and would be concerning to I think vet school adcomms, to see so little animal experience, let alone veterinary experience. You need a realistic idea of what your life would look like as a vet, working in a vet hospital or in practice.

And finally, as someone who’s been preparing for this application for the last 3 years virtually without break, the applications are grueling and stressful. I have over 20,000 hours of animal experience, close to 4000 hours of varied veterinary experience, and good GRE scores. I will almost definitely be re-applying another one or two times to get into vet school, if not more. I will most likely be going to a vet school with an exhorbitant price tag, with low likelihood of paying off my loans anytime soon. Give some serious soul-searching as to how much you want this, and how much time/money/effort/emotion you’re willing to spend on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What makes you think that pre-med is the wrong track? If you dislike any portion of it other than physically practicing on humans, you’ll find the veterinary medicine is the same.

It's not that I do not like it, I just feel like I have more passion for Veterinary medicine. Of course, I do need to verify my feelings by working and/or shadowing very soon.

And finally, as someone who’s been preparing for this application for the last 3 years virtually without break, the applications are grueling and stressful. I have over 20,000 hours of animal experience, close to 4000 hours of varied veterinary experience, and good GRE scores. I will almost definitely be re-applying another one or two times to get into vet school, if not more. I will most likely be going to a vet school with an exhorbitant price tag, with low likelihood of paying off my loans anytime soon. Give some serious soul-searching as to how much you want this, and how much time/money/effort/emotion you’re willing to spend on it.

That is sort of what scared me off from the application process last year, however I think any application process to graduate schools has its own downsides. I have a lot of thinking to do and I am definitely planning on speaking with a Veterinarian about what it is like actually working. I do not mind, however, the time/money spent, as long as I am happy in the future doing what I love! :)

Human med is just as competitive as vet school, just as an FYI. According to the pre-allo threads, only 40% of human med applicants get an acceptance. In vet med, there have been about 7000 applicants for 3200 spots the last couple of years. So competition is the concern, it goes both ways.

Thank you! I will definitely think about that. The faculty at my school made it seem like it is even more competitive than med school and I kind of just took their word for it and got really stressed about it! (rookie mistake I guess)

Thank you! I will definitely think about that. The faculty at my school made it seem like it is even more competitive than med school and I kind of just took their word for it and got really stressed about it! (rookie mistake I guess)

It's an urban myth that is genuinely believed that vet school is harder to get into than med school. They may genuinely think that do to this misinformation. But the numbers generally seem to make them out to be relatively equal in competitiveness as far as the number of accepted students to those that apply. Even breaking it down by school, the most competitive school is CSU at 15 applicants per seat last cycle. Some med schools have a 2-5% acceptance rate.

Reactions: 2 users

I can hit specifically on your last question - there are DVM/PhD programs, although they generally take fewer students than MSTP programs due to funding (my school, which has a lot of research funding, only accepts between 1-3 students per year into the dual program, and this is pretty typical). I'm happy to help with any dual degree questions (4th year in our program, just finishing my first year of my PhD).

FYI I am not trying to be an dingus, but what is your GPA like?
OPs GPA is competitive for most schools in the country (around average to slightly above for most schools I know of). I have found that often times, people who really struggle with acceptances have a sub 3.4 GPA, if not substantially lower.
It's not that I do not like it, I just feel like I have more passion for Veterinary medicine. Of course, I do need to verify my feelings by working and/or shadowing very soon.

That is sort of what scared me off from the application process last year, however I think any application process to graduate schools has its own downsides. I have a lot of thinking to do and I am definitely planning on speaking with a Veterinarian about what it is like actually working. I do not mind, however, the time/money spent, as long as I am happy in the future doing what I love! :)
FYI veterinary school is professional school, not graduate school :p sorry if it sounds like I am being pedantic.

Back to your original question, I went into college thinking I wanted to be an MD. My dad worked at a medical school throughout my childhood and I always loved science so the two just seemed to fit. I spent time volunteering at both human medical clinics and veterinary clinics and found vet med suits my personality, interests, and goals much more. I think getting some experience in a variety of veterinary clinics, in addition to medical ones, could be enlightening for you and help you figure out what you think you want to pursue.
Sometimes I regret not going to med school, but very rarely. My grandfather was recently in the hospital, and I saw doctors basically required to refuse care and treatment due to bull**** legislation. They didnt want to, and openly stated so, but there hands were tied. I like that vet med has less regulation (for good and bad) and really is at the forefront of modern medicine (I mean, every medicine prescribed is tested on animals first). Just something to consider! hope this helps!

FYI I am not trying to be an dingus, but what is your GPA like?
OPs GPA is competitive for most schools in the country (around average to slightly above for most schools I know of). I have found that often times, people who really struggle with acceptances have a sub 3.4 GPA, if not substantially lower.

FYI veterinary school is professional school, not graduate school :p sorry if it sounds like I am being pedantic.

Back to your original question, I went into college thinking I wanted to be an MD. My dad worked at a medical school throughout my childhood and I always loved science so the two just seemed to fit. I spent time volunteering at both human medical clinics and veterinary clinics and found vet med suits my personality, interests, and goals much more. I think getting some experience in a variety of veterinary clinics, in addition to medical ones, could be enlightening for you and help you figure out what you think you want to pursue.
Sometimes I regret not going to med school, but very rarely. My grandfather was recently in the hospital, and I saw doctors basically required to refuse care and treatment due to bull**** legislation. They didnt want to, and openly stated so, but there hands were tied. I like that vet med has less regulation (for good and bad) and really is at the forefront of modern medicine (I mean, every medicine prescribed is tested on animals first). Just something to consider! hope this helps!

Yes, I do have a low GPA and I expect that’s why I, personally, am struggling to get in. But folks with good GPAs and low experience also struggle to get in - three of the 4 vets in my hospital had the same issues and had to apply multiple times. All 3 had cGPAs either 3.5 or higher - two got in 2nd round, the 3rd went to Ross on January admission. It’s less common to get rejected with a good GPA, but it happens.

Fair enough, if you have a passion for the field and you’re going into things with eyes wide open, this site is a great resource for application and school advice. Best of luck!