Phosphorylator

Active Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
14
0
Somewhere...out there.
Status
Pre-Medical
I was procrastinating from MCAT studying last night by watching Letterman. And after seeing his Top 10, I was inspired. I want to start our own "Top 10 Reasons Your a Pre-Med." :D

I'll start:
-Caffeine no longer works as a stimulant.
-You can count the hours you have slept in the past three days on one hand.
 

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
726
1
35
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Do you mean "Top 10 Signs You're Pre-Med?"
 
About the Ads

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
15,650
20
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
top ten signs you think someone enjoys being pre-med and feels theyre elite:

their username is phosphorylator and their avatar depicts a protein data bank picture of ATPase (or some other enzyme i cant really see it)
 

Dunce

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
431
3
Status
Medical Student
taylormade44 said:
top ten signs you think someone enjoys being pre-med and feels theyre elite:

their username is phosphorylator and their avatar depicts a protein data bank picture of ATPase (or some other enzyme i cant really see it)
ouch
 

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
726
1
35
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Phosphorylator said:
Sure, if that sounds better to you. :p
Well, it isn't really a matter of it sounding better, but of its grammatical sense. Unless you're saying that you are pre-med because you enjoy the fact that caffeine doesn't work any longer as a stimulant, and that you can count three nights' of sleep in hours on one hand, then it doesn't make sense.

...just trying to help you out.
 

ESzczesniak

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2005
147
0
Chicago, IL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
taylormade44 said:
top ten signs you think someone enjoys being pre-med and feels theyre elite:

their username is phosphorylator and their avatar depicts a protein data bank picture of ATPase (or some other enzyme i cant really see it)
#4: You understand the reference of "phosphorylator" and "ATPase" and even get small amounts of amusement when they are used as screen names :)
 

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
2,644
23
Status
Attending Physician
ESzczesniak said:
#4: You understand the reference of "phosphorylator" and "ATPase" and even get small amounts of amusement when they are used as screen names :)
You see phosphorylator and wonder why the hell the guy didn't just choose "kinase" instead.
 

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
560
3
Status
Looque said:
"Top 10 Signs You're Pre-Med?"
maybe it's just sdn, but here are some (cynical) ones i've noticed:

- you understand that dermatology and plastic surgery are impenetrable fields requiring superior intellect to even sniff at, but also know that anyone can sleep through dental school and become an orthodontist

- you engage selflessly in various laudable volunteer and charitable experiences, but always make sure you get credit for them

- you think that medicine is not about making money, and anyone that wants to make money can become an investment banker and have made millions two years out of college.
 

MD-To Be

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
100
0
Dayton, Ohio
www.adorationprophet.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Phosphorylator said:
I was procrastinating from MCAT studying last night by watching Letterman. And after seeing his Top 10, I was inspired. I want to start our own "Top 10 Reasons Your a Pre-Med." :D

I'll start:
-Caffeine no longer works as a stimulant.
-You can count the hours you have slept in the past three days on one hand.

You might know you are a pre-med if:

- you have ever spent three consecutive days studying in the library; on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
 

geno2568

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
408
0
34
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
i was wathcing the usual suspects last night, and every time i heard verbal kint's name, i thought about the mcats
 

Erina

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
1,183
0
Status
Medical Student
Matth52 said:
you compulsively check status websites with full confidence that it hasn't changed in the last 10 minutes
guilty!

although, i'll have you know, one of my status pages did definitely change within those 10 minutes.
 
About the Ads

yolony

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2006
46
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I have problems and I need help.
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
VPDcurt said:
You see phosphorylator and wonder why the hell the guy didn't just choose "kinase" instead.
hahahaha
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
VPDcurt said:
You see phosphorylator and wonder why the hell the guy didn't just choose "kinase" instead.
something like this actually makes you laugh...
 
OP
Phosphorylator

Phosphorylator

Active Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
14
0
Somewhere...out there.
Status
Pre-Medical
Actually, even though the enzyme is reversible, it is more commonly known as ATP synthase. And as for why not "kinase," kinases are not the only ones responsible for phosphorylation. Every pre-med should know about the substrate-level phosphorylation that occurs in glycolysis which involves no kinases at all.

Enough of that, how about another one: MCAT is just another 4 letter word. :thumbup:
 

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
2,644
23
Status
Attending Physician
Phosphorylator said:
Actually, even though the enzyme is reversible, it is more commonly known as ATP synthase. And as for why not "kinase," kinases are not the only ones responsible for phosphorylation. Every pre-med should know about the substrate-level phosphorylation that occurs in glycolysis which involves no kinases at all.

Enough of that, how about another one: MCAT is just another 4 letter word. :thumbup:
No one said anything about kinases being the only molecules responsible for phosphorylation. And as far as the MCAT being just another 4 letter word, it's actually an acronym...not a word.
 

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
2,644
23
Status
Attending Physician
Phosphorylator said:
Actually, even though the enzyme is reversible, it is more commonly known as ATP synthase.
ATP synthase is a specific type of ATPase, and not necessarily a more common name. There are other ATPases that do not synthesize ATP, and are therefore not called ATP synthase (i.e. the Na/K pump).
 
OP
Phosphorylator

Phosphorylator

Active Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
14
0
Somewhere...out there.
Status
Pre-Medical
VPDcurt said:
And as far as the MCAT being just another 4 letter word, it's actually an acronym...not a word.
I was speaking in the vernacular, but apparently you missed the humor. And if you want to be that technical, MCAT is really more of an abbreviation that an acronym since (as you so eloquently pointed out) it does not spell a word.
 
OP
Phosphorylator

Phosphorylator

Active Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
14
0
Somewhere...out there.
Status
Pre-Medical
VPDcurt said:
ATP synthase is a specific type of ATPase, and not necessarily a more common name. There are other ATPases that do not synthesize ATP, and are therefore not called ATP synthase (i.e. the Na/K pump).
That may be the case, but it does not change the fact that my avatar is ATP synthase.
 

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
2,008
6
California
Status
Medical Student
-You substitute "roll" with "pyrrole" in common usage..such as "Let's pyrrole" or "Hey, that's the way I pyrrole".

-You always carry a calculator in your backpack, just in case.

-You make fun of someone's enzyme avatar, but name the enzyme in the process.
 
About the Ads

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
Phosphorylator said:
I was speaking in the vernacular, but apparently you missed the humor. And if you want to be that technical, MCAT is really more of an abbreviation that an acronym since (as you so eloquently pointed out) it does not spell a word.
ac·ro·nym
A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps; a word formed from the initial letters of a multi-word name

ab·bre·vi·a·tion
A shortened form of a word or phrase used chiefly in writing to represent the complete form, such as Mass. for Massachusetts; shortening something by omitting parts of it

I have too much time on my hands. In related news, how is the MCAT studying going?
 

hateroftheyear

professional player hater
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
140
0
34
Status
When you see the deke fraternity symbols and think to yourself, "Change in kinetic energy?"
 

CSLITO

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2005
41
1
Status
Pre-Medical
hateroftheyear said:
When you see the deke fraternity symbols and think to yourself, "Change in kinetic energy?"

I thought I was the only one.
 

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
4,584
203
IN YOUR HEAD...let me out!
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Phosphorylator said:
I was procrastinating from MCAT studying last night by watching Letterman. And after seeing his Top 10, I was inspired. I want to start our own "Top 10 Reasons Your a Pre-Med." :D

I'll start:
-Caffeine no longer works as a stimulant.
-You can count the hours you have slept in the past three days on one hand.
You know you're a premed who won't make it through med school when you need to study so much as an undergrad you dont get more than 2 hours of sleep a night.
 

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
2,644
23
Status
Attending Physician
dynx said:
You know you're a premed who won't make it through med school when you need to study so much as an undergrad you dont get more than 2 hours of sleep a night.
haha i was going to say something, but what the hell. there are many lessons to be learned...
 

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
726
1
35
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
dynx said:
You know you're a premed who won't make it through med school when you need to study so much as an undergrad you dont get more than 2 hours of sleep a night.
I like it. I like it a lot.
 

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
1,252
1
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
You know you're a pre-med when you ask the professor if it's possible to get an A in a pass/fail class.
 

RandomGuy

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
32
0
Status
Pre-Medical
you know you're premed when you're engaged in a cut-throat argument as to whether the "MCAT" is an abbreviation or an acronym
 

RandomGuy

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
32
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Zoom-Zoom said:
-You substitute "roll" with "pyrrole" in common usage..such as "Let's pyrrole" or "Hey, that's the way I pyrrole".

-You make fun of someone's enzyme avatar, but name the enzyme in the process.

wow that is funny
 
About the Ads

ghip

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
94
0
Status
Medical Student
Phosphorylator said:
Every pre-med should know about the substrate-level phosphorylation that occurs in glycolysis which involves no kinases at all.
Substrate level phosphorylation? You mean the reactions catalyzed by phosphoglycerate kinase and pyruvate kinase?
 

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
6,084
2,183
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Phosphorylator said:
Every pre-med should know about the substrate-level phosphorylation that occurs in glycolysis which involves no kinases at all.
I always find it funny when people insult other people and then spout off crap that is completely wrong. Funny because at every step in glycolysis where there is a transfer of phosphate, there is a kinase. These include Hexokinase/Glucokinase, Phosphofructokinase 1, Phosphoglycerate kinase and pyruvate kinase. Yup no kinases at all.

The TCA cycle does involve 1 phosphate transfer w/o a Kinase but to actually get ATP from the GTP made in the reaction, you have to use a kinase.

Now I am not trying to pick on you phosphorylator because you probably did not have learn the specifics of glycolysis and the CAC in your intro bio class, but try not to sound like a condescending a$$ if you have no idea what you are talking about.
 

ghip

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
94
0
Status
Medical Student
Instatewaiter said:
try not to sound like a condescending a$$ if you have no idea what you are talking about.
Yep. But you said it better.
 

HMSNeuro

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
93
17
Status
Instatewaiter said:
I always find it funny when people insult other people and then spout off crap that is completely wrong. Funny because at every step in glycolysis where there is a transfer of phosphate, there is a kinase. These include Hexokinase/Glucokinase, Phosphofructokinase 1, Phosphoglycerate kinase and pyruvate kinase. Yup no kinases at all.

The TCA cycle does involve 1 phosphate transfer w/o a Kinase but to actually get ATP from the GTP made in the reaction, you have to use a kinase.

Now I am not trying to pick on you phosphorylator because you probably did not have learn the specifics of glycolysis and the CAC in your intro bio class, but try not to sound like a condescending a$$ if you have no idea what you are talking about.
oh, sweet pwnage
 
OP
Phosphorylator

Phosphorylator

Active Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
14
0
Somewhere...out there.
Status
Pre-Medical
Instatewaiter said:
I always find it funny when people insult other people and then spout off crap that is completely wrong. Funny because at every step in glycolysis where there is a transfer of phosphate, there is a kinase. These include Hexokinase/Glucokinase, Phosphofructokinase 1, Phosphoglycerate kinase and pyruvate kinase. Yup no kinases at all.
You all are right about one thing, I misspoke when I mentioned substrate-level phosphorylation. That is not what I was trying to draw attention to.

What I meant was the reaction that occurs BEFORE the substrate-level phosphorylation by phosphoglycerate kinase: glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate is phosphorylated to 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate by glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Yup, no kinase.

Apparently then, you should not be such a condescending a$$ either.
 

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
11,826
57
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
you know you're a gunner premed if u tried to copulate with a Grey's Anatomy text, and somehow suceeded.
 

HMSNeuro

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
93
17
Status
Phosphorylator said:
You all are right about one thing, I misspoke when I mentioned substrate-level phosphorylation. That is not what I was trying to draw attention to.

What I meant was the reaction that occurs BEFORE the substrate-level phosphorylation by phosphoglycerate kinase: glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate is phosphorylated to 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate by glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Yup, no kinase.

Apparently then, you should not be such a condescending a$$ either.
oh yummy, my turn.

no doubt that you are well trained in molecular biology. i just would like to point out that, even though GAPD is given the name "dehydrogenase," it's also a kinase! yay! phosphorylates a molecule=kinase by definition.

if you need convincing, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9680129&dopt=Abstract
 

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
2,644
23
Status
Attending Physician
HMSNeuro said:
*giggles* wouldn't you like to know?
haha yeah right...feel free to take your hands out of your pants now.
 

HMSNeuro

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
93
17
Status
VPDcurt said:
haha yeah right...feel free to take your hands out of your pants now.
in high-pitched, valley-girl tone, with slight lisp: stop it! you're embarassing me, silly-goose!
 

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
3,596
2
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Instatewaiter said:
I always find it funny when people insult other people and then spout off crap that is completely wrong. Funny because at every step in glycolysis where there is a transfer of phosphate, there is a kinase. These include Hexokinase/Glucokinase, Phosphofructokinase 1, Phosphoglycerate kinase and pyruvate kinase. Yup no kinases at all.

The TCA cycle does involve 1 phosphate transfer w/o a Kinase but to actually get ATP from the GTP made in the reaction, you have to use a kinase.

Now I am not trying to pick on you phosphorylator because you probably did not have learn the specifics of glycolysis and the CAC in your intro bio class, but try not to sound like a condescending a$$ if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Excellent work here Instatewaiter. :thumbup: I wish people who have had a taste of subjects in undergrad would realize that it is just that ... a taste. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Better to realise just how much one doesn't know than to act like an authority on a subject among a group of people who know better.
 

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
3,596
2
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Phosphorylator said:
You all are right about one thing, I misspoke when I mentioned substrate-level phosphorylation. That is not what I was trying to draw attention to.

What I meant was the reaction that occurs BEFORE the substrate-level phosphorylation by phosphoglycerate kinase: glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate is phosphorylated to 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate by glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Yup, no kinase.

Apparently then, you should not be such a condescending a$$ either.
Dude, you were Owned. Accept your beating. Don't make it worse! :rolleyes:
 

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
3,516
2,625
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for the pick me up you guys...previous to reading this thread i thought i was a social misfit with no life. But now i think i might just have a narrow shot at being "cool".
 

HMSNeuro

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
93
17
Status
Nasrudin said:
Thanks for the pick me up you guys...previous to reading this thread i thought i was a social misfit with no life. But now i think i might just have a narrow shot at being "cool".
no, thank you!
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Phosphorylator said:
I was speaking in the vernacular, but apparently you missed the humor. And if you want to be that technical, MCAT is really more of an abbreviation that an acronym since (as you so eloquently pointed out) it does not spell a word.
No, an acronym doesn't spell out a word. You're thinking of an acrostic.
And it's definitely not an abbreviation. Nice use of vernacular to try to make it look like you really knew what you're talking about.
 
About the Ads