Pre-med turned pre law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lab 123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I'm not sure whether this's the right place to post this question but I think at this point any opinion might help. I'm a sophomore in a top-10 university majoring in biology and psychology. For the first three semesters in college I have been a premed. I have finished all the premed classes and had a 3.9+ GPA and have been working in molecular biology lab since first semester. All of my ECs are also solely pre-med oriented (Relay for life, Global Brigades, volunteering etc.). But now that I don't feel as passionate about science classes and medicine in general as I was in the future and am looking more towards law school (science or business law?). But I'm also really concerned that the ECs that I have been investing the most time in (especially the Cancer Biology lab, from where I might get published) will be completely useless for law schools. Could anyone share some ideas about my chances into getting into law schools (potentially the very top ones?) and what should I do with my ECs (And what should I focus on if I want to do pre-law)?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Get a phD in mol cell bio, and then go to law school for patent law. They make $$$$$$ apparently.

Reactions: 1 user
All that matters for law school is GPA and LSAT. You could *literally* have a blank résumé, but as long as you are in the school's 90th percentile (random number), you'll get in.
If you are borderline, great ECs help, but it's nothing like medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
lab 123 said:
...But now that I don't feel as passionate about science classes...

Get a phD in mol cell bio, and then go to law school for patent law. They make $$$$$$ apparently.

Not being passionate about science is probably the worst red flag you can have going into a PhD program.

Reactions: 4 users
Start studying for the LSAT and reading about the types of careers lawyers can have. Also patent law WILL NOT be your cup of tea if you have no passion for science/engineering.

You can easily get a full ride to a mid-level school these days with a 3.3 and a decent LSAT. If you're interested in top schools however, the GPA and LSAT are like a good med school (3.6-3.8, 95th percentile). You will want to focus on some ECs that show an interest in law.

Law school (similar to business school) is almost not worth attending if you're not going to a top-tier school.

google "lawyer oversaturation" then find a different major

Reactions: 3 users
Isn't that mostly hitting grads from mediocre law schools though, while the famous names still have 90+% employment for their graduates?

Isn't that mostly hitting grads from mediocre law schools though, while the famous names still have 90+% employment for their graduates?
Let's be frank, someone posting about on SDN about how to get into law school isn't headed to an Ivy ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Let's be frank, someone posting about on SDN about how to get into law school isn't headed to an Ivy ;)
I disagree. The OP has a 3.9 gpa at a top school and can easily find a good law internship if they look in the right places. Worst case, they're a year behind traditional law applicants.

I'm thinking they posted in pre-allo for a good dose of that pro-medicine perspective ;)

I guess it really depends on if there's a SDN equivalent for pre-law

I think the existence of this thread speaks to just how fortunate the premed/med community is that a place like SDN exists. I can tell you there's no resource quite like this for the PhD community that's for sure —and I'd be shocked if there was something like here for the pre-laws.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the existence of this thread speaks to just how fortunate the premed/med community is that a place like SDN exists. I can tell you there's no resource quite like this for the PhD community that's for sure —and I'd be shocked if there was something like here for the pre-laws.

Grad café is pretty good for PhD. ;)

(Not nearly as thorough, but the diversity in programs is so immense it would be impossible.)

Reactions: 1 users
Grad café is pretty good for PhD. ;)

(Not nearly as thorough, but the diversity in programs is so immense it would be impossible.)

It's not bad (definitely the best out there), but kind of lacking for life science PhDs when compared to the humanities. And I agree on the diversity aspect!

I'd be shocked if there was something like here for the pre-laws.

There is: top-law-schools.com

Law is only a viable option if you are truly interested in the field, and can get into a top 10 or 20 school, preferable with a lot of scholarship money. Applications have plummeted in recent years. High paying jobs are hard to come by, and most who get those jobs don't stay. Many graduates of law schools can't get jobs that require a legal degree.

Admissions are primarily based on GPA and LSAT score. There are no interviews. ECs do not appear to be of any great importance. There are no prerequisites, although they frown on undergraduate law classes.

Pre-meds will have varying success with the LSAT. Most sections are variations on reading comprehension. Many pre-meds won't do well on those, while others won't have a problem. There is one unusual section known as Logical Reasoning (aka Logical Games), and most people need extensive training in that section to be successful. Many people can't get any correct the first time around. However, there are a few who can do them perfectly the first time they encounter them.

Before you consider this option, do some real research into the field and look at a practice LSAT test.

I was just about to mention this. It's important to research things like these before blindly going into something because of "passion."

TLS, as linked in above posts, is your friend. Your ECs don't matter. Gun for grades and LSAT and then the acceptances and scholly money will come rolling in. Ain't nothing guaranteed for no job, though. But if you're at a T14 or T6 school, you'll be employed.