Pre Med Visionary- Be apart of my movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HjadeK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on my under grad, and have barely scratched the surface because I'm serving in the United States Coast Guard. That's just a tiny bit of background information.

ANYWAYS!

I want to talk about wellness centers!

My goal is to go to TCOM, become a D.O. (I originally wanted to be a D.C. but I figured if I'm spending the money for grad school, might as well soak up as much knowledge as I can.), and open or team up with corporate wellness centers. I found this really awesome company, and it just sparked my passion so much. It's a little weird, because being a doctor it's almost viewed as over qualified to be apart of a wellness center, but I think in the future wellness centers will eventually be the equivalent in numbers to hospitals, or at least that's what I'd like to see. I believe SO strongly and so deeply in preventative medicine, and I'm just excited for the future.

For inquiring minds this is the link to the website that fueled this post: https://www.wellnesscorporatesolutions.com/#news-blog

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any medical journals or forums with research strictly on holistic medicine?

Does anyone have any ideas to share, or anything they'd like to contribute to this topic? Advice?

p.s.
Please do not send controversy my way in regards to holistic medicine. I'm not naïve, I'm a visionary and believe diversity in the medical field is strength. Embrace what you love, don't bash what you hate.

Members don't see this ad.

meftV0q.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will do my very best to apart from your movement.

Reactions: 7 users
You know, I was brilliant when I graduated high school, too. Education should beat that overconfidence out of you in a few years.

Unless you're a Cluster B/Axis II, in which case... well, you'll learn about that.

In all seriousness: you're a pre-med. Focus on the coursework first. You are neither a visionary nor a special snowflake; bust your butt, do well on your coursework/MCAT, get accepted to medical school, and then worry about the endgame (and even then... that's a LONG way away).

Also, if you're interested in holistic/integrative medicine, look at Weil's stuff. There's a more robust body of work there than your "biometric" link.

Reactions: 2 users
Did everyone miss the part about "embrace what you love, don't bash what you hate"?? If no one has anything constructive to add, they probably shouldn't post anything to the thread. I know this is the culture around here though regardless of anything else.

Wish you luck!

Last edited:
A thousand pardons, but in case you haven't noticed, SDNers tend not to suffer fools lightly.

Did everyone miss the part about "embrace what you love, don't bash what you hate"?? If no one has anything constructive to add, they probably shouldn't post anything to the thread. I know this is the culture around here though regardless of anything else.

Reactions: 7 users

You said that in reference to holistic medicine, and no one is saying anything bad about that. The concept of the company you're talking about doesn't sound like a bad idea. That being said, if you thought that a post with the title "Pre Med Visionary- Be apart of my movement" was going to foster an honest discussion about preventative/holistic medicine, you might not be the brilliant "visionary" that you think you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not the OP :rolleyes:
Although I do agree with everyone else's sentiment about the thread, I'll refrain from comments that won't add to what he/she trying to get at.

I'm not the OP :rolleyes:
Although I do agree with everyone else's sentiment about the thread, I'll refrain from comments that won't add to what he/she trying to get at.

You know, I probably should have checked that... I'm not exactly a brilliant "visionary" either

Again, the medical concept is an interesting one, and it's a shame that it's probably not going to get talked about because of the other aspects of the post.

Last edited:
I guess this sounded super arrogant. I definitely did not intend that at all. I apologize for that. I just try to assert passion for the field. :(

I would like to hear the medical side of it though?

You don't need to go to med school for this.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess this sounded super arrogant. I definitely did not intend that at all. I apologize for that. I just try to assert passion for the field. :(

I would like to hear the medical side of it though?

A couple things seeing as I see you were serious and just a little overzealous instead of a troll, so I will give my response. You don't need to be a doctor for this. A doctor is very over qualified for a wellness center. I've looked at the website link and I still can't quite figure out what you mean by "holistic medicine" and that wellness centers will be as plentiful as hospitals, a lot of the info given by wellness centers are what happens when you regularly visit your PCP. I also don't know where "holistic" medicine comes into play with a wellness center because by the description on the website a wellness center just gives basic medical advice from what I can see. Most of it is just good preventative medicine, which is practiced heavily by PCPs everywhere.

If by holistic medicine you mean like naturopathic medicine then no there aren't any medical journals with research. Once something is researched and proven to work then it stops being fringe voodoo stuff and just becomes medicine and is used as such.

OP, Cardiac and Pulmonary and Neuro rehab places all often refer to themselves as "wellness centers." They might be, on a level, integrative in some areas but they can be very very far from holistic.

If you are talking more holistic and integrative medicine. Look up Integrative Medicine & Health Conference that will be in Las Vegas this year. Attend and discover you aren't some lone visionary or have some profound insight that hasn't already been around for 50yrs. Lots of major universities, med schools, and hospitals have done research in integrative med and CAM and some works and some doesn't. Johns Hopkins has a whole webpage to what has been found effective and what is bs. PCP have practiced preventative med forever and what has been found is that patients often fail to follow through with prevention because people by nature do what provides short-term gain.

Anyways, OP the way you started the thread sounded like a high school kid, so most will treat this thread with that view.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently working on my under grad, and have barely scratched the surface because I'm serving in the United States Coast Guard. That's just a tiny bit of background information.

ANYWAYS!

I want to talk about wellness centers!

My goal is to go to TCOM, become a D.O. (I originally wanted to be a D.C. but I figured if I'm spending the money for grad school, might as well soak up as much knowledge as I can.), and open or team up with corporate wellness centers. I found this really awesome company, and it just sparked my passion so much. It's a little weird, because being a doctor it's almost viewed as over qualified to be apart of a wellness center, but I think in the future wellness centers will eventually be the equivalent in numbers to hospitals, or at least that's what I'd like to see. I believe SO strongly and so deeply in preventative medicine, and I'm just excited for the future.

For inquiring minds this is the link to the website that fueled this post: https://www.wellnesscorporatesolutions.com/#news-blog

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any medical journals or forums with research strictly on holistic medicine?

Does anyone have any ideas to share, or anything they'd like to contribute to this topic? Advice?

p.s.
Please do not send controversy my way in regards to holistic medicine. I'm not naïve, I'm a visionary and believe diversity in the medical field is strength. Embrace what you love, don't bash what you hate.

"GAY"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile