Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

pre-med with pre-med fiance

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by represent_CV, Nov 29, 2005.

1. represent_CV

represent_CV Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    has anyone heard that rumor that a medical school will preferencially accept the spouse/fiance of someone who they have already accepted? is this true? if so, are there any specific schools that will do this....i know there is an option on the UMich secondary that mentions applying as a couple....thanks!

2. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If that's true, then I'd be willing to marry any SDN ladies out there holding acceptances to the schools I applied to. Come on . . . 6' 1'', blonde haired, blue-eyed, likes long walks on the beach . . .

3. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know that Yale will accept a transfer of a student who is seriously involved with a student/medical professional working in New Haven, but that's almost the only reason they'll accept transfers. I would guess then that they would give you a little leniency if your 4.0/40 significant other has already been accepted. are you in this situation right now?

4. atrovariousg

atrovariousg Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm sure that it is considered....as a potential distraction.

5. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

I hadn't assumed that anyone would receive preferential treatment. I just assumed that in these cases it let the admissions committee know that if they wanted one of the pair, they'd better accept both. I don't think a "weaker" candidate can ride in on the coattails of a stronger one... but that's just my opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yet another reason not to get seriously involved with anyone if you're on the premed route =P

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well I think it's because if one is already there as a student (perhaps also if one is already accepted and made a commitment) the adcoms recognize that if they accept the SO, then that SO will definitely accept their offer and they want to know those they are accepting will accept the offer.

9. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Funky chicken
    7+ Year Member

I know that at Columbia, it's a consideration. Usually not if they're both applying during the same year, but if one person is already a student, they'll give more-than-usual consideration to the fiance applying. The same is true with transfer students.

This is just *consideration,* though - it doesn't translate into an acceptance unless the committee thinks the candidate is a good fit for the school.

10. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

...asuming that the applicant is a well qualified candidate to begin with, right?

11. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone know if this factors in with different types of graduate schools at the same institution e.g. law and med school?