Pre-Med Working in Healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megamortus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm 32 and have decided that I would love to pursue my goal of becoming an anesthesiologist. Here's a bit of info: Past- went to a university right after high school and did very well freshman year, then sophomore year I dropped out and dipped in and out of community college-university-comm college-university for ~10 years. In 2008 I finally got serious and graduated with an AS in Respiratory Therapy. Present- Have been an RRT since 2010 and will be graduating Fall 2012 with a Bachelors in Health Sciences-Respiratory Therapy. I love the insane amount of healthcare experience (e.g. floor tx, traumas, codes,intubations). I have gained a solid grasp of mechanical ventilation modes, respiratory disease processes, and optimization of lung function. Future- I figure by the time I am ready to apply for MS I will be 34-35 years old. My sciences are over 10 years old and I will be re-doing them starting Spring 2013, God willing. Not married, no kids, no real "encumbrances" of any kind other than time.

My question is this: Notwithstanding achievement of stellar grades, does my past (riddled with some "W"'s and "F"s during that 10-year period) really weigh against me with respect to being accepted to medical schools ? I am driven, serious, intelligent, passionate, and very compassionate but would like real-deal answers from those who may have had a similar past. Thanks!

Joe

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'm 32 and have decided that I would love to pursue my goal of becoming an anesthesiologist. Here's a bit of info: Past- went to a university right after high school and did very well freshman year, then sophomore year I dropped out and dipped in and out of community college-university-comm college-university for ~10 years. In 2008 I finally got serious and graduated with an AS in Respiratory Therapy. Present- Have been an RRT since 2010 and will be graduating Fall 2012 with a Bachelors in Health Sciences-Respiratory Therapy. I love the insane amount of healthcare experience (e.g. floor tx, traumas, codes,intubations). I have gained a solid grasp of mechanical ventilation modes, respiratory disease processes, and optimization of lung function. Future- I figure by the time I am ready to apply for MS I will be 34-35 years old. My sciences are over 10 years old and I will be re-doing them starting Spring 2013, God willing. Not married, no kids, no real "encumbrances" of any kind other than time.

My question is this: Notwithstanding achievement of stellar grades, does my past (riddled with some "W"'s and "F"s during that 10-year period) really weigh against me with respect to being accepted to medical schools ? I am driven, serious, intelligent, passionate, and very compassionate but would like real-deal answers from those who may have had a similar past. Thanks!

Joe

Yes, your GPA is more permanent than a tattoo. That doesn't mean that poor grades in the past will completely prevent you from gaining admission to medical schools, however. How many poor grades are you talking about? (Ws are not as bad since they do not factor into your GPA). What is your GPA including every non W attempt of every college course you have ever taken? That is your GPA for MD schools. Now what is your GPA only counting the most recent attempt of each course? That is your GPA for DO schools. If you can tell us what those are, and break down your science GPAs for each as well, we can give you more specifics about what it will take to come back.

If your more recent work was done at a high GPA, you have already started your come back.

Hi All,

Joe

does your past weigh against you? what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeker,

My GPA from before I started my bachelors degree was 3.0, my GPA-to-date is a 3.78. I'm looking to maintain and increase it by re-taking all prereq sciences starting next spring. From 1998 to 2008 I was not a serious student. Since 2008 I have been achieving nothing less than a solid B.

David,

I own a not-so-sweet past and there's nothing I can do about "the past". However, I have been acing every course with the exception of a couple "B"'s and achieving the above GPA. I have earned the clinical trust of several MD's including the medical director at the hospital I work at and could secure stellar LORs but was wondering what else I could do to make myself a stronger candidate.

Thanks.

Seeker,

My GPA from before I started my bachelors degree was 3.0, my GPA-to-date is a 3.78. I'm looking to maintain and increase it by re-taking all prereq sciences starting next spring. From 1998 to 2008 I was not a serious student. Since 2008 I have been achieving nothing less than a solid B.

David,

I own a not-so-sweet past and there's nothing I can do about "the past". However, I have been acing every course with the exception of a couple "B"'s and achieving the above GPA. I have earned the clinical trust of several MD's including the medical director at the hospital I work at and could secure stellar LORs but was wondering what else I could do to make myself a stronger candidate.

Thanks.

I assume the 3.78 does not count the previous (3.0) grades? What is your total overall GPA, including those earlier grades?

Either way, you are definitely looking good, as the recent work demonstrates your real potential is ~3.8 work, not 3.0 work. This means that, while your early course work will be seen and considered, you already have a higher chance at admission than someone with an identical overall GPA, but no improvement. :luck: