Pre Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Grkovic

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just registered a few days ago and I am ready to interact with all you knowledgeable people. I am interested in Going to Medical School as soon as I finish my Pre Med requirements. I have a BS degree in Business, which satisfies my 90 sem hours of schooling. My question is, is it a better choice to go to community college or a University. I was told by many different people stories about which I should attend, but from my experience throughout my schooling I didn't see much difference in the quality of information and amount of learning that you receive from either ones. I am trying to make the best decisions and reduce the amount of time taking classes, which will not benefit my chances for acceptance. Thank you for your response :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would stick to a University if it's going to be for your premed requirements. The Adcoms will want to look a lot on how you do in these courses, and they will probably be the only science courses on you record so they are very important. You don't want them not to take your work seriously if they are all at a CC. (not that they necessarily would but it's possible)

If it was me I'd go to the university.

But I wouldn't take my lowly opinion right away:)...your best bet is to call a couple of med schools, ask them, and see what they say. Good luck :)

go for a post-bacc program. these are designed for people w/ a bachelor's degree and have not done their pre-med requirements. they are often tied to a medical school or at least a major university and can give you advice for applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very good advice from megkudos and oldman...I'd only add that you should meet with a pre-medical advisor or someone with a medical school admissions dept to discuss further prereqs you need to meet and the best way to fulfill them. Each school has a different spin on prereqs, so make sure to get one of the current MSARs to see what courses you still need to take, and if your GPA and MCAT is competitive. Best of luck to you!

me ke aloha pumehana

Thanx everyone for the help. I thought that going to a university would be more beneficial and if thats what I need to do well that will just have to get done. thanx